JUST FINISHED THE 24 HOURS AT MOROSO.......

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.......WOW!!!!! What a great event. Finished on the podium in 2ND Place! Many thanks to Nort Northam, team owner of the # 30 porsche which was a great car and allowing me to race. The other team drivers, Pete Monsillo, Randy Hale, and Dr. Jimmy Green all were great and the five of us brought the # 30 car in the ITS class to the podium.
Nothing can compare to the adrenaline rush of racing in a 24 hour race. We started as fourth in class, and thru some luck and great great driving we made a 2ND place finish. Night driving was the most fun for me and I did two night stints and one day stint in the car, a total of over 6 hours of racing. First stint was 2 hours in the day and we moved up to 2nd place. Then a 2 hour and 30 minute stint at night, and then again for another 2 hour stint at night. At my second stint we were tied in third place. By the end of my run 2 and half hours later we were in 3rd place with 3 laps over the fourth place car, and the race was 9 hours in. We were about 10 laps behind the # 2 car then. By the time I got in my third run, the race was 14 hours over. We were in 3 rd place, with 10 laps over the # 4 place car, but we were 30 laps down from the second place car and about 35 laps down from the first place car.
With some luck the second place car blew an engine and lost 2 hours. In that stint my two hour drive took us into 2nd place and put the # 2 car now 30 laps behind us now and the 4 th place car was now about 40 laps down. WOW, talk about a rush and a sudden turn of events. The rest of our team performed flawlessly, we came within 15 laps of the leader and we had our podium 2nd place.
If anybody ever wants the biggest thrill I have ever had, do a 24 hour race. I can't wait until the next event!!!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats Mike!!!!!....gusto all the way!!!...your trademark...next year reel in that lead car!!!

Happy new year!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Joisey Guy does it again!!!!!!

Congrats Mike!

OP
OP
M

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry, Yes it is still called the Moroso "Longest Night". Thanks everyone. It was definitely a first for me. Lead owner of the car Nort Northam has a long history of 24 hour races. This was his 24th 24 hour race. He has many Daytona 24 hour races under his belt, really a super guy. This was his third 2nd place finish now at the Moroso 24 hour. Maybe next year a first place finish!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just returned from extended stay in Florida after the race. A couple of things Mike Failed to mention: We gave the part to the first place car that allowed him to finish the race & beat us!They had crashed late in the race & we had the tie rod, Nort is quite a sportsman.
For Mike & Randy , this was there first SCCA race as well as the first drive over 2 Hours. Mike & Nort did tripple stints & I did a punishing 4!

For those of you that are interested , I arrange rides for many of the long enduro events, with well prepared cars & teams for relativly low cost. We are currently looking to put 2 teams together for the 12 hours @ summit point later this year.I will post details as we move closer.

Thanks everyone & a great job done by all.
Special thanks to Paul from Brumos for saving the day as crew chief!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Mike!

Sounds like you had the time of your life. I can't wait to see you at ViperDays and get all the details. I had read your post about the event and just happened to have lunch with Randy that day. I'm glad everything came together for your great finish!

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the same Peter Mansalillo that represented the Southeast Zone on the VCA Autocross Team. This name sounds very familiar. I remember butchering it to timing and scoring.