Latest radar detector Test

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a letter I just sent to Motor Trend

Steve

"Your recent article on radar detectors was informative, but missed a very important piece of criteria regarding the V1 detector. While initially expensive, all V1’s can be upgraded to the latest, greatest for less than the cost of the others. My 3 year old V1 can be upgraded to the newest technology for $189. My ’94 V1 was upgraded last year for $279. In your point tabulations, the V1 led the pack in raw score. Switching the ‘value’ numbers in your report to account for the above would have the V1 soundly beating the competition once again. In addition, once you live with the arrows, you’ll never go back the other way. It’s like going from a phone modem to broadband."

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
prob. and they are too cheap to buy one for the test! Just means that the test and results dont mean squat. Goes like this "whats the best radar detector(radar warning reciever) made, lets not test the best one though"
DUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2 tickets and a court date I am not really interrested anymore of the "best" VALUE factor.

I am interrested of "What gives the BEST/EARLIEST warning"

I invested the 400 bucks on Valentine and expect it to pay back its value real soon....

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run a valentine, and it performed well on my trip to fla over the holidays. Monday when we left the cops were out in force in GA. Just south of atl in henry county, I almost got caught. Driving my truck sped up to 95, going up a hill with an overpass at the crest. I noticed two suspicious cars on the overpass, cops. I hit the brakes, and a few seconds later the laser warning went off. Cresting the hill, they had about 10 cop cars pulling lot's of people over. The laser really scares me, it seems that you don't get a warning until you've been hit.

All of the other many cops on the way were running mostly ka, and I had plenty of time to slow down.

One thing that I noticed in the article, was that they beat on the x band performance of valentine. In 2 years with the V1, I have only seen one real X band cop radar. So who really cares?

Anyway, with prudent driving, paying attention, I think you can get away with quite a bit of speeding with the V1.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back I bought an ****** for $150 after about a week boom I got nailed on a surface street, the radar detector NEVER WENT OFF. I threw it out and bought a V1, a dozen saves and not one miss.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 GTS has an integrated K40 with laser diffuser. When I'm going out for a ride, I take the V1 out of the daily driver and put it on the Viper's windshield...just in case. The V1 really does give the earliest warning of anything I've tried.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly.The self appointed expert article writer wanted to be hired by valentine as a expert consultant.The reply came in the form of laughter and tears until out of breath.I doubt the expert will ever write a favorable report about valentine.Who reads MT anyway?Get a subscription to C&D. Bruce

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrows.

I live by em and would miss the heck out of them. It's the first thing I glance at when I get tone...

(I agree with Bruce...MT ***** these days - canceled my sub this past year)

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so the V1 seems to be the best choice for protection. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for and it sure cheeper than a ticket! Thanks for the extra info, I'm going to order one.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my V1 for the first time the day after Christmas. I took a 400 mile trip to Dallas. There were several traps on the way, and V1 worked great.
It's worth the extra bucks.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my V1. Have had Bel, ****** & Cobra but the V1 is by far the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine