Learn to Park

anonomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a viper owner, but admire the car for what it is. But things like this make me a little bit angry. I was in Apple Valley MN at a Target store around 2:00 on 8/7/2010 and found this guy parked in two spots at the front of the store. If you don't want someone to park next to your car, park further away and walk. I do this all the time with my 911. But don't take up parking spot like this when others could use them. My daughter is in a wheel chair and all the handicap spots were taken up, we ended up having to park out in the boonies to get in the store, which is not an easy feet with all the stuff we need to carry along. I hope this isn't indicative to all Viper drivers, which i am sure it isn't. But if any of you know who this ***** is talk some sense into him.

You must be registered for see images

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
How do you know they weren't handicapped??? I think there are enough handicap spaces out there to accommodate you and your daughter.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While that is sort of a chump-ish parking job, that car is nowhere near the handicapped spaces.
Super-Targets like the one shown have at least 10 van-sized spaces up by the front door (seen in the distance in the pic).

Like the OP, I think it's BS when guys roll their Z06 into a handicapped spot then pull the blue hang tag out of the glove box.
Stunts like that deserves a swift kick in theass.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I take the farthest corner spot so I can pull closer to the curb and leave as much distance as I can to the next spot. Or, where possible, I park in the spot next to the handicap spots with the extra 'no parking' space so I can pull closer to that spot so as to not get dinged from the other side. Never double parked so far. I think it calls for trouble.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While that is sort of a chump-ish parking job, that car is nowhere near the handicapped spaces.
Super-Targets like the one shown have at least 10 van-sized spaces up by the front door (seen in the distance in the pic).

Like the OP, I think it's BS when guys roll their Z06 into a handicapped spot then pull the blue hang tag out of the glove box.

What, you are saying if you are handicapped you cannot own a Z06 or Viper? Believe it or not handicapped people are allowed and actually own sports cars also.

Things are not always as they seem to be by eye. You never know what handicap a person may have despite them looking healthy to you.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take the farthest corner spot so I can pull closer to the curb and leave as much distance as I can to the next spot. Or, where possible, I park in the spot next to the handicap spots with the extra 'no parking' space so I can pull closer to that spot so as to not get dinged from the other side. Never double parked so far. I think it calls for trouble.

Sure, Anil. As if we don't recognize your B&W.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see any problem with that. The wheelbase of the viper is wider than the average car and the doors have to be swung all the way open as it is difficult to get out with the deep/wide sidsills which is the main reason i sometimes take up two spaces. It depend on the lot though. Some have much wider spots than others, and some of these newer lots have such tight spots i think that Everyone has a right to doublepark:) If there is a spot in the front of a shopping cntr i usually take it because; a. its convenient, and b. people like to look at the car. I like coming out and having a few people looking at it and telling them: "Its open, have a seat to see how she feals". I do not park in handicapped spots except for one bar that i frequent that has two handyspots in front that are never used from 10pm to 2am, so the owner dosnt mind if i park there to show off the Viper as it is good for his business. My friend has a dually truck and also frequently takes u two spaces. This is a courtesy to other peoples vehicles in the lot, it saves them from having to worry about dinging someone’s vehicle or in some cases not even being able to get out of their vehicle.

I do understand your point of view though. A large percentage of people sees something like that and immediately the hater comes out and assumes whatever makes them feal like they are a better person than the snobby sportscar owner. Its just how it is. On the other hand, If i was walking out to the viper and you saw me and asked me why i took up two spots i would have explained why, then you prob would have asked me more about the viper and i would have told you how much hard work it took for me to get it, how i maintain it myself, take it on racetracks, shows, daily drive it. Then i would have asked you all about your 911 as i am a true car guy to the fullest and would like to know everything about it. Then id convince you to come to a trackday if youve never been to one.

Then you would have walked away from the situation with a completely diff attitude towards Viper owners:)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why weren’t you driving the 911? Is it too good for the Target parkinglot? Does your 911 sit in the garage pampered just begging to be taken to a racetrack where it can run free, but you keep it locked up in the garage all prettied-up because it looks too good to drive.

SEE, I Too can assume alot:rolaugh:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's an open spot in the next aisle...why didn't you get that one? Maybe the driver was really ill and had to run into the store for meds, or he saw a guy grab a women's purse so he parked as fast as he could and took out after him (something ANY Viper driver would do). I say don't jump to a negative conclusion until you know the whole story. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why weren’t you driving the 911? Is it too good for the Target parkinglot? Does your 911 sit in the garage pampered just begging to be taken to a racetrack where it can run free, but you keep it locked up in the garage all prettied-up because it looks too good to drive.

SEE, I Too can assume alot:rolaugh:

I think you just made an ass of yourself. The OP clearly states he had his handicapped daughter with him.

Fail.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually park as far away from the front of wherever I am and try to park on an end spot with a curb so the chances of me getting door dinged are lowered by 50%. Plus, I like walking...

Double parkers are just asking for trouble. I've never been in a lot that my car didnt fit completely in one spot. Is it sometimes tight getting out? Sure, but in this case the driver also parked on an end spot, so getting out shouldn't have been an issue.

Too each his own, I guess...

I can't get my eyes off that Pontiac parked in front of the Viper. :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you missed my point Dave

whether his daughter was with him or not dosnt not change my prejudice towards poser porsche owners that i could make without meeting/talking with him. This was a hypothetical comment as my car mentor is a very cool 911 driver:)

you can read it however you want to make you feal better though.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm in a packed parking lot, I take 1 space. If I'm in an open parking lot, I park far away and sometimes take up 2. Taking up 2 near the front of the store isn't right IMO. Just for reasons like the OP said.

I NEVER EVER NEVER park in a handicap place. Able bodied people parking in handicap spots is a huge pet peeve of mine!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My theory on this...

So here is your basic angry all knowing passive aggressive Elitist with his foreign made Porsche feeling justified in generalizing and stereotyping about an entire group of car owners because in his mind he somehow knows this is how we all feel and act. Parked in the Boonies...? Good catch... there's an empty spot in the next aisle right at the end of his nose!!! What does this say about his credibility and the sincerity of his post and overall intelligence by posting a picture with an empty spot right in front of him? I'm not defending the Viper owner in any way but this Dbag clearly has the "I'll fix them all cause I'm better than they are" tude going...

Call mall security next time Dbag and don't do us any favors... Owned!:crazy2:

Oh BTW He admires the car for what it is...

Last edited:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry if you take up more than one space you are begging to be keyed

I agree. IF I have to park in a crowded lot I park as far away as possible.

I would be more worried about damage to my car if I took up 2 spots than I would be if I was parked tight between 2 cars. There are a lot of haters out there just looking to stick it to the "rich man"

Ron

jbrian31

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen that viper driving in Apple Valley about 2 months ago at the other Target. If I remember right it was a younger guy driving it. Not right to take up 2 spots up front, maybe at the back of the lot is ok. Its just asking to get keyed.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm in a packed parking lot, I take 1 space. If I'm in an open parking lot, I park far away and sometimes take up 2. Taking up 2 near the front of the store isn't right IMO. Just for reasons like the OP said.

I NEVER EVER NEVER park in a handicap place. Able bodied people parking in handicap spots is a huge pet peeve of mine!

I'm sorry if you take up more than one space you are begging to be keyed

I'm a bit surprised to see all the animosity directed towards the author. I completely agree with Chad and Pete (although if a parking lot is packed, I simply won't park at all).

Why assume anything about the author in drawing a conclusion. There's simply no reason to take up 2 parking spots. If you are inclined to do so (as I am always), I find 2 spots off in the distance as far from others as possible to best insure that:
  1. I'm not inconveniencing anyone
  2. I'm not going to receive an accidental door ding
  3. I'm not begging anyone to key or damage my Viper
What the hell is wrong with a long walk? It's SO much a fair trade off for the annoyance to others and the risks. I don't have any idea who's the Viper owner in the pic. I can't even identify the state, but I have to agree with the author; that's the move of a self indulgent, arrogant owner.

BTW- In NYS, you can actually be issued a parking ticket nd/or be towed. Not likely, but I've seen it happen.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anonomous are you serious? You signed up to this forum so you could ***** about the way someone parked a Viper? My gawd man you need to get a life ASAP. And what does having a "handicapped" daughter with you have anything to do with it? What am I missing here?

And you guys that say a car should be scratched with a key because istparks stoopidly need to move to new towns. That is just a horrible thought. A multi-thousand dollar repair is proper punishment for being a parking d-bag where you live? Seriously? I'm thinking you must not have conceal permits where you are.

This has to be one of the most disturbing posts I have seen on this forum in the six years I have been here.

Last edited:

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have parked far away plenty of times only to have someone park right next to me instead of the 1000 other open spots around my car. Not that this is an excuse to park like that.

rede2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have parked far away plenty of times only to have someone park right next to me instead of the 1000 other open spots around my car. Not that this is an excuse to park like that.

I cant understand that. And its the mother with the minivan with 4 kids and baby stroller coming out on the side where your car is parked but disregards the 1000 other spots. Im only guessing so the kids can see the nice car.:dunno:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am going to jump on this one hard.....

I just retired medically from injuries received in the military and am receiving a pension from the VA. I have Disabled VET plates on my truck and my daily driver Charger.

I have a blue hang tag that I use selectively when out in the Viper. It gets used when my condition won't allow me to be as active as a normal person.

I worked my a$$ off in order to realize my dream of owning a Viper, and I will be damned if I can't drive it on my terms to include using my blue hang tag. :usa::usa:

While I agree with Kevan on the parking style mentioned in the previous post regardless of whether it's a viper or not, do not judge me as someone who isn't really disabled just because I have a blue hang tag AND a DODGE VIPER.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too park far away, even at college, I don't mind walking. Dings, morons and Mustangs are at the top of my fears when I park. In the back of my mind, sweating up that long 30 degree incline, is R. Lee screamin' to get my huge, ******* loving tukish up the hill. It works quite nicely.:rolaugh::D

But I wouldn't mind if I saw that parked there, hell there be a big stupid grin on my face how could I get mad at ol' blue? I'd probably have my camera on me and start doing a photoshoot just the way it is!:lmao:

--RS

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What, you are saying if you are handicapped you cannot own a Z06 or Viper? Believe it or not handicapped people are allowed and actually own sports cars also.

Things are not always as they seem to be by eye. You never know what handicap a person may have despite them looking healthy to you.
NOT AT ALL!!!
And I'm NOT talking about guys like Steve911, who's conditions are intermittent.

I'm talking about the guy who looks like an NFL free safety who asked his doc for a hang tag because of the cracked cuticle on his left ring finger.

You guys can get off me now.
Thanks.

I park like MyViper does: away, or the spot next to the van-sized HC spaces, leaving plenty of room for BOTH vehicles.

I can't remember ever being in a mall parking lot and seeing ALL of the handicapped spaces taken in front of any store.
Ever.
Even on Black Friday.

OP
OP
A

anonomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong guys, I love the viper, but for me @ 6'6" i don't really fit all that well. The 911 works well for me I can move the seat back all the way and still gives me room. I own the 911 as I am a fan of the history of the car and it racing heritage. Very much like you are with the viper. I like how the viper is a head turner it stands out among all cars on the road, initially that is what drew me to the blue one at Target while I was driving around looking for a spot to park. You just don’t see too many on the road which gives it some exclusivity to the brand. I know the parking spot wasn't handicapped, but if he wasn’t parked in two spots I would have been able to park closer to the front for my daughter. Too know the limitations of one’s car i would think he would have parked were it wouldn't piss off a great number of shoppers during a busy Saturday, If he needs more room to open the door then fine, park where it is easier to do so, not like this. Common sense tells you to be a little more considerate. I did see the guy and his girlfriend leave and from what i could tell from a first impression without talking to him he could have cared less if i came up to him and asked why he parked the way he did. Now taking the 911 to Target, I always do, unless my daughter is with me then the wheel chair won't fit and I need the Navigator to take the wheelchair along. And before anyone says anything, I am considerate of parking my large SUV in parking spots. If there are smaller cars near me or other large SUVS when my daughter isn’t with I make sure to leave room or park so that I am not blocking someone from getting into their car. The last thing I want to do is get my car damaged because someone couldn’t get into theirs. My hopes of posting here was to get the attention of the guy who parked like this and be more considerate, besides myself there were a number of customers taking pictures and bringing them to store management. By the time something was done the guy had left and everything was back to normal. My intention was not to upset anyone here, it was only to grab the attention of this one owner who I couldn’t talk to then. I know that one person is not a good representation of all owners but its people like this that give the rest a bad name. I am sure there are a number of Porsche drivers that fit into this, I just was reading a story on Autoblog, or Jalopnik about a 911 A$$hat who parked in a Handicap spot and that made me mad as well. So I am not singling out anyone person or brand just venting over this one person.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This Viper driver must wear a jockstrap the size of a basketball to be able to park like this and walk away without a care in the world. No doubt this is a key or a screwdriver job just asking for it. No driver wants their nice ride keyed or messed with but this is an invitation for a stroke when one comes walking out to see a huge gouge or scratch waiting on them. He/she should have parked in the outer perimeter. No matter where you park a Viper none of us are comfortable leaving it out of our sight.
Bravo to Mr Big B*lls.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anonomous,
When i started to read your post, i was all set to criticize you for your criticism of a fellow Viper owner who wanted to protect his car. However, in viewing the photo, i have to agree with you and most of the others who commented. If you want to protect your car, as I do, park as far away from the crowd as possible. Parking in the middle of the crowd and taking up an extra space is a recipe for your car being damaged.:(
PAvenomRT/10

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anonomous are you serious? You signed up to this forum so you could ***** about the way someone parked a Viper? My gawd man you need to get a life ASAP. And what does having a "handicapped" daughter with you have anything to do with it? What am I missing here?

This has to be one of the most disturbing posts I have seen on this forum in the six years I have been here.

i agree 100%. clearly the OP registered here only to bit*h and his chosen screen name (anonomous) only proves that:

1) there is no serious intention of being a part of the viper community, and

2) either the OP registered quickly in a fit a rage, or they simply cant spell a simple word like "anonymous" correctly.

not condoning the parking, but i agree that the OP needs to get a life, and unless they plan on actually contributing something worthwhile to our community in future posts, needs to pi*s off.