Learn to Park

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that NYS Law does not say so, but to me this is a no-brainer:

If I see someone take a key to my car I'm allowed to take a key to their skin (face, arms, back... whatever)
(.... hear me out...)

The key'er is asserting that he/she has the right to impose a multi-thousand-dollar fine on the obnoxious parker in the form of the cost to repair their "statement"- twenty times as much as a parking ticket or more ! If such a person could be found, and charged for the cost of repair, then great... but we all know that a re-painted section of a car is never the same as the original, and so the car has a scar that will not go away. That person has demonstrated that he/she feels above the law. (...before you say that's exactly what I'm suggesting...) The person who keys a car needs to know that disproportionate acts in response to things that frustrate us are not civil, not legal, and not acceptable. For some people paying for paint would not drive that message home, but a key scratch on their forearm would! I am NOT suggesting that it is okay to pull a gun on someone wielding a key, but it is important that some proportional response is applied in a way that will be lasting! The person needs to understand the difference between freedom of expression and sociopathic expression.

If they are that frustrated by the bad parking job they should do what the OP'er did here - find some way to vent it. Or do what others have suggested and leave a note.
For anyone (Viper owner or not) to say that someone deserves to have his car keyed is absurd, but I would have expected more from Viper owners.

I agree with what Copmagnet said about parking technique and (probably like most of you) I know the local parking lots that have larger-than average spots, or end spaces that no one ever takes far from the store etc, etc, and I frequent those places. I am as polite as I can be because I am sure that being polite is a better protection for the car than being obnoxious. If someone disrespects that anyway, and I find them, they will get 100% of it back, not an ounce more or less.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that NYS Law does not say so, but to me this is a no-brainer:

If I see someone take a key to my car I'm allowed to take a key to their skin (face, arms, back... whatever)
(.... hear me out...)

I read the rest of this and heard you out and your statement is Hypocritical at best...

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the rest of this and heard you out and your statement is Hypocritical at best...

I'm not sure why you think so, but I'm glad you gave it a chance!

The first offense (parking over two spots right up front) is obnoxious, but not illegal and can be reversed (move the car).
The person who keys the car has taken it upon him/herself to move to the realm of obnoxious, ILLEGAL, and IRREVERSIBLE.
The response to that second level should be proportional to the second level, so that the offender is treated for his/her decision to escalate.

...The key'er is the same type of person who would clip the nose of your car to purposely run you off the road in response to failing to signal before a lane change, no?
(I am annoyed by people who don't signal, same as I am annoyed by double-parkers, but neither creates irreversible damage, so I shout something inside my car and let everyone continue driving..)

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you missed the point of the note. The purpose of the note is to get the owners attention.I would not key a car for any reason but do feel you need to have effective communication if you want results. Get their attention first so they have something to think about for the future.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iagree that the same type of scumbag who would key your car is the same type who would clip you while driveing. These type of people cant contol anger

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double parking is ockay. I do it every time.
However, I only park in the farthest aisle where nobody else is even close. There is no reason for anyone to feel inconvenienced whatsoever.
The comments made regarding the fact that we do not know the situation of this said double parked Viper is true.
I will give one good reason his act could have been innocent - because it did happen to me once.
I pulled into a virtually empty parking lot a while back and parked well away from the other cars, with tons of parking spaces left in between me and the building. But when I came out, the lot had filled up way more than I anticipated and the cars were getting real close and slowly making me look more arrogant by the minute. I'm not saying this guy is or isn't arrogant because we don't really know. It is possible he pulled into an empty lot at first and came out surprised and feeling like a *********..... ?????
(I don't know guys but I still believe in innocent till proven guilty)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are not great times to put an expensive out there as a Target. I had the Viper out last weekend at night around 8pm and I dropped my wife at Walmart to run in real quick for a few things. I decided not to park but to pull along the sidewalk and wait for her. I parked far back away from the entrance... say at least 15 or 20 car lengths away to not inconvenience anyone and much further away than a number of other cars parked along the walkway. So some guy with a 1990s Honda or Acura with a few primered panels and various stick-on and bolt-on bling pieces and the fat tailpipe etc... goes out of his way to drive by and swing wide into the parking aisle rather quickly and missing the front of my car by inches. He parks his car in a spot directly across from me and gets out and doesn't even look in my direction as he walks towards the store. You could just feel the rage coming off of this guy.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are not great times to put an expensive out there as a Target. I had the Viper out last weekend at night around 8pm and I dropped my wife at Walmart to run in real quick for a few things... You could just feel the rage coming off of this guy.

I think you and I agree more than you think :) The ******* you described likely didn't come any closer to your Viper because you were still in the car. (and I'm glad... you are right about the times we're in.) If he has some rage b/c he's jealous or b/c he thinks you're arrogant, or for whatever reason he needs to know there's a serious consequence for turning it into action. If you had parked your car, and he had key'ed it, wouldn't you want him to remember that mistake for a long time?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A) The type of person who would key your car is NOT the type of person who would clip you while driving. Keying your car is a spineless, offensive action which costs the person doing it NOTHING. But it costs you a ton. That's why it's cowardly. Clipping your car costs you both.

B) Those of you giving this guy the benefit of the doubt due to presumed handicaps, anal leakage, or having been in the lot since the doors first opened have GOT TO BE kidding me. Double parking in the first two spots of any parking lot is a ********* move.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ockay Cop Magnet
I looked at the photo again. I had assumed the building across the thoroughfare was another building and not the Target. (Who knew Target had such nice stone facade ??;)) And then looking into the "victim's" mirror realized that there was no other building - yes he was parked in the first set of aisles closest to the store. Strong evidence for douchebaggery...... but lets not all be the moral high and mighty executioners either. Nobody gives him the right to be better than us, yet we don't neccessarily have the right to persecute him either. Especially with acts of deviancy, vandalism, or aggression. A simple smile to him as he comes out of the building can be just as powerful, if not more, than any other tactic. We were all young and cocky at some point.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I never condoned keying his car. Just said it wouldn't surprise me if someone did it, and I certainly wouldn't shed any tears for the guy.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that keying a car doesn't justify inflicting physical harm on someone. In fact very few things do short of defending yourself or your loved ones. Often it is the person that retaliates that is left to suffer the consequences. If you get arrested for attacking someone nobody will right you a pass because the guy keyed your car. The fact that you're driving an exotic car certainly won't win you any sympathy either.

I think you and I agree more than you think :) The ******* you described likely didn't come any closer to your Viper because you were still in the car. (and I'm glad... you are right about the times we're in.) If he has some rage b/c he's jealous or b/c he thinks you're arrogant, or for whatever reason he needs to know there's a serious consequence for turning it into action. If you had parked your car, and he had key'ed it, wouldn't you want him to remember that mistake for a long time?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy in the Viper pulled a ****** parking job. No doubt about that. As others have said, leave a note or stay there and tell him how he needs to use common sense when parking. On the flip side, if he came out and found someone keying his car, he has the right to beat that person into the ground (legally, no, but morally, yes). Keying a car for taking up 2 spaces is too extreme.

The only time its ok to key a car is if they are taking up a handicap spot. By doing this, you are saying your car is so important, its needs a better parking spot than a disabled person. This is never the case! I don't care if you are in an Enzo, there is not any excuse for an able bodied person to take up a handicap spot. If you take your exotic car somewhere and don't like the parking area, go back home and bring the DD.

I should add that I would never key a car taking up a handicap spot. I would simply report it to management and hope they have it towed. With that said, if I did see a car get keyed for taking up a handicap spot, I wouldn't shed any tears or worry about alerting anyone. Let the owner find out when he comes out.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that keying a car doesn't justify inflicting physical harm on someone.... If you get arrested for attacking someone nobody will right you a pass because the guy keyed your car. The fact that you're driving an exotic car certainly won't win you any sympathy either.

I agree with what you're saying within the "way things are." What I'm saying is more of a moral judgement than a legal one, as Chad echoed in that last post. And I'm not suggesting serious physical harm that will make the person less able to function - I'm talking about completely cosmetic harm.
If the police/courts would see to it that the key'er has a reason never to key a car again I would gladly just call them and watch, but I think we all know the system doesn't work that way.
I applaud the OP'er for not taking his frustration out on the car, and although I wouldn't shed a tear for the Viper owner if the Viper were key'ed, I also wouldn't shed a tear for the key'er if he/she were scarred for it.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have cut his brake lines, I would like to see him park after that.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if you take up two spots like that you deserve to get keyed.

You are terribly wrong with the "deserved to get keyed part". Taking up two spots in a crowded parking lot is wrong and it may piss a few folks off but it doesn't give another the right to vandalize someone else's property. I personally wouldn't take up two spots in a crowded lot (I personally wouldn't even leave my Viper parked in a crowded Target parking lot) but catching someone keying my car for whatever reason will immediately prompt me to.... well you know the rest.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, this is/was not right but it was funny and I learned a lesson. I found a handicapped mirror tag in an abandoned car which was left at my shop (YEARS AGO). Wife and I went to dinner and I hung the thing on the mirror after parking in a handicapped spot. Jokingly, i pretended to limp into the restaurant. After dinner, and only one beer, left the place, slipped on the stairs by the sidewalk and heard a loud "pop" from my ankle. youch that hurt. Got in the car, never ever used the thing again, and my ankle hurt form weeks. Lesson was learned for me.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang thats was a cold hearted thing to do and you truly are a bandit you bastaaad...Got what you deserved ( Im jokeing about this all) but you literally did get what you deserved in a funny way..LOL..lesson learned..

(in my best Damion Wayans voice)

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE HANDICAPPED

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree 100%. clearly the OP registered here only to bit*h and his chosen screen name (anonomous) only proves that:

1) there is no serious intention of being a part of the viper community, and

2) either the OP registered quickly in a fit a rage, or they simply cant spell a simple word like "anonymous" correctly.

not condoning the parking, but i agree that the OP needs to get a life, and unless they plan on actually contributing something worthwhile to our community in future posts, needs to pi*s off.

I agree 100%. The Op joined up to simply try and blame/discredit someone here. If he has the guts to do it on here, why not simply tell the person face to face when he/she comes to get in their car? I am not condoning how the Viper was parked but more contributing to the fact that the OP has no life and seeks to discredit someone on this BB. For all we know he is making up the rest of the story and simply stated it so as to get sympathizers.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly... not defending the Viper Owner by any means but the OP needs to take a long hard look in the mirror. This type of divisive behavior is typically part of a pattern. Certainly a person not to be trusted and probably has other issues as well. I could be wrong but I wouldn't turn my back on him... Better safe than sorry... I mean it's already clear that he hasn't been totally truthful...

I agree 100%. The Op joined up to simply try and blame/discredit someone here. If he has the guts to do it on here, why not simply tell the person face to face when he/she comes to get in their car? I am not condoning how the Viper was parked but more contributing to the fact that the OP has no life and seeks to discredit someone on this BB. For all we know he is making up the rest of the story and simply stated it so as to get sympathizers.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree also.

I also agree with what Big 'n Italian said. When folks have been on here awhile and gained the respect of others, there's nothing wrong at all in 'venting', but when you sign on with the obvious intent of not being a VCA member or at least staying and showing support of the VCA...and caling a Viper owner a '*****' it doesn't command much respect IMHO.

Last edited:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first I thought this thread had a purpose. Now I do not. The mods have pulled many other posts why not kill this one now.... It serves no purpose, its not even enterntainment. My 2 cents.

losterdamus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sad to see how my old viper is put in danger of getting scratched up or even spit on for parking like that.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some people want this thread to close. I find it very entertaining to see how differantly we all feel.

It does **** though. Once you steal over a certain dollar amount it goes frrom a petty misdomeaner to a felony. HUGE differance..

And when you key a car. Especially a viper you are literally stealing 1000's of dollars from the viper owner in repairs as well as resale.

Unfortunetly it is not theft. It's vandalism. Even more unfortunetly is the fact that people accidently key/stracth other peoples vehicles all the time while trying to squeeze through between parked cars ect. Kids on scooters. And yes even the sEcurity guard/cop or anyone who has keys dangling for a PROFESSION ECT.

it's just a hard thing to prove was intentionall and like some one said quite cowardly

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude