LED Fog Lights?

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a fog light bulb go out and was thinking of replacing them with LED bulbs. Searching through the forums it doesn't look like anyone had done this, but rather went with HID lights. From what I gather, there are HID bulbs that are a direct replacement for the bulbs in the fog lights and it appears there are LED bulbs that are direct replacements as well.

It also appears that the HID bulbs and the LED bulbs are in the same price range these days ($40-$60).

So assuming I am correct that either set of bulbs can be installed directly with no real modifications, is there any advantage of one over the other?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"Cool Factor" in terms of appearance, and come to think of it heat-wise. Less AMPS draw to support your boomer stereo.

If you do find a cluster of LEDs with an OE pigtail that would fit the fog hole, or "Angel Eye" fogs, that would be a good score, please share the info!?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V-Leds is where I get all my LED's. I have a set of their fog light bulbs for my Dodge Ram to match my hid kit. On my Viper I went ahead and got Hid's for the headlights and fog lights. It's a little bit of work to get the fog lights with hids, but it's very simple. Just mount the ballast inside below the fog light access panel and you should be fine. No issues with mine at all. You will love the results! I wouldn't get Led's for fog lights, other than to match your headlights, they won't produce enough light to do any good, mainly just for looks.

On a side note, I have Gen 3 fog lights on my Gen 2, so the plug and play method might change.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't get Led's for fog lights, other than to match your headlights, they won't produce enough light to do any good, mainly just for looks.

Thats what i was thinking. I wander how many Lumens these LED's put out...

OP
OP
D

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got thinking that as well after I posted here. I sent an email to V-LEDs asking what the lumens output is. We'll see if they get back to me, I did find that a standard buld produce around 1550 lumens and a 55W Ultra High Efficacy Plus 50 produced around 1750 lumens.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you talk to James at V-Leds he will get back to you and answer all your questions.

If you have hids in your headlights now, you won't even notice your Led fog lights are on. The hids will "drown" them out. Just get Hids and be done with it ;-)

eurowalt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got headlights,foglights from HIDNATIONS.com They look really good. I have had to replace the right ballast once and a bulb aswell. Other then that there great!!!

OP
OP
D

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heard back on the led fog lights, they only produce around 350 lumens, a far cry from the 1550 of a standard bulb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32