Lenco Trans...

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with swapping a planetary trans, like a Lenco, into a Viper? I know the Hisser runs one, but anyone else? Also, can a planetary trans be downshifted? I'd like to be able to still run my car on the street. Thanks.
Chris

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Previous Southern California Club President Harold and Marion Cocolin had a JEFCO trans installed in his Drag only RT/10. Believe they chose a JEFCO over similar LINCO at the time due to availability of reverse gear in JEFCO.
Only saw it run at the drags (once at VOI) and it took off like a rocket.
It ran 2nd to SIR HISS. Believe it was overgeared at the time, and topped out 1/2 way down the track. WHAT A RACE!

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, sound like quite a race!
smile.gif
I was reading a back issue of Hot Rod recently and noticed they had street versions of the Lenco available now - up to six speeds, with sixth still being 1:1, of course, and they have reverse too. Supposed to be rated up to 900 ft-lbs of torque, as well. I just wasn't sure if once you have slotted back, say, fifth gear, can you drop back down into fourth (or third) to pass someone? If so, is clutching required on the downshifts? I have no personal experience with these trannies, so any info is appreciated. Also, do you have a website for this Jeffco company? Thanks.
Chris

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Paulo Castellano, around Chicago, SVSi will also have info for you. SVSi installed what I think was a Lenco in Paulo's car.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paulo, Is that the one you split in half just 15 minutes after they installed it? What trans ARE you on now. I just bought one for a spare myself......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21