Lighter weight clutch/pressure plates?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched and did not really nail any answers aside from $Tilton$.

2001 GTS N/A @ 450 at the wheels and will likely not go much past 500 unless it 'splodes and then I'll do lots of stuff for power.

Meanwhile I'm going to put on a Fidanza and was curious if there is some additional weight savings over the stock Luk clutch package that is still streetable. I have no problem sticking with the Luk for $185 but would rather ask this question while still collecting parts and not putting the last bolt back in.

vp97

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been using the Fidanza flywheel and stock clutch for over three years, not no problem, even with 620wtq. I track my car twice a month and drive it almost everyday. The extra light weight parts are over kill for your use, unless you want bragin' rites.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, nothing wrong with the stock luk. Im about to add a Roe and Im gonna stick with the luk till I find a reason not to.

At stock hp there is no real difference.

:usa:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$369 - Fidanza flywheel saves 20 pounds or so.

$600 - Centerforce clutch saves 8 pounds or so.

Looks like stopping at the flywheel gets near 75% of the weight shaved for only 1/3 of the cost.

The Luk/ebay clutch kits for $199 shipped are still looking mighty snappy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$369 - Fidanza flywheel saves 20 pounds or so.

$600 - Centerforce clutch saves 8 pounds or so.

Looks like stopping at the flywheel gets near 75% of the weight shaved for only 1/3 of the cost.

The Luk/ebay clutch kits for $199 shipped are still looking mighty snappy.

$198 actually. :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive been told too many times just to stick with the LUK at my power level for me to switch.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched and did not really nail any answers aside from $Tilton$.

2001 GTS N/A @ 450 at the wheels and will likely not go much past 500 unless it 'splodes and then I'll do lots of stuff for power.

Meanwhile I'm going to put on a Fidanza and was curious if there is some additional weight savings over the stock Luk clutch package that is still streetable. I have no problem sticking with the Luk for $185 but would rather ask this question while still collecting parts and not putting the last bolt back in.

Something else you may want to think about is the fact that the lighter the actual disk, the better the trans will shift.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the Fidanza flywheel and stock clutch for over three years, not no problem, even with 620wtq. I track my car twice a month and drive it almost everyday. The extra light weight parts are over kill for your use, unless you want bragin' rites.

Track or drag?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a Roe with 630rwhp and now turbos tuned to 740rwhp. I've always had the stock clutch with no problems. Only go to the strip once a year and make about 10-15 passes. Other than that the occasional street launch but have had no issues with the clutch.

I figured with the cost difference I can fry 3-4 stock clutches for every Centerforce or Tilton I put in. And it's a lot easier on my left leg...

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to be clear on my question... I'm not wanting to have the clutch that lasts the longest etc, as there seems to be a standing consensus that starting at the stock clutch and so on into the more expensive ones, that they are all good for the hp and use I have for them. And they will last.

I'm looking for opinions on weight savings of the clutch disk and pressure plate. Like do the non Luk units weigh less, and are they worth it for just that aspect. I have not been wearing out the Luk units and the only reason I would switch is for something like a lighter weight unit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96