Looking for my first Viper

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good day to you all!

Great site and I think it's finally time to buy my very first Viper. Been a dream since I was 12 and finally might be the time to go for it.

In the market (been searching for the past several weeks) for a 2001 or 2002 GTS/RT-10 (or 98/99 GTS) but it's hard to find a good lower mile (under 27k) one in my price range which I totally understand given the nature of these cars and the current market. I got mid $30K sitting in my "viper" account, which I am looking to spend. I can spend a little more depending on history, etc.

Red, Yellow, Steel Gray

No accidents and no title issues. I got a car fax waiting to run, but of course the best way to buy a Viper is to interact with fellow viper owners cause you guys know what and where to look for!

Thanks for the space :)

Edit: Price range I am looking at is under $37k.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$30,000 is a good start. That would make a healthy down payment on a nice car. I doubt you will find what you describe for the 30 you have to spend.

heliguy25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell I'd spend close to that on a GTS with miles or issues and I can't find crap.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10k more and you should be able to close in on what your looking for. Or look at the Gen1s. Seems like Gen 1 and 2 are starting to slightly creep up in price, with the good clean cars commanding the bucks and getting hard to find.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good day to you all!

Great site and I think it's finally time to buy my very first Viper. Been a dream since I was 12 and finally might be the time to go for it.

In the market (been searching for the past several weeks) for a 2001 or 2002 GTS/RT-10 (or 98/99 GTS) but it's hard to find a good lower mile (under 27k) one in my price range which I totally understand given the nature of these cars and the current market. I got mid $30K sitting in my "viper" account, which I am looking to spend. I can spend a little more depending on history, etc.

Red, Yellow, Steel Gray

No accidents and no title issues. I got a car fax waiting to run, but of course the best way to buy a Viper is to interact with fellow viper owners cause you guys know what and where to look for!

Good Luck in your quest..............but realistically I dont think you will find a like-new, low-mile Gen 2 for $30k. ( I even HOPE you cant! } Gen 1 YES...... Do look in the classifieds on this site for mostly realistic prices. Upping your budget will up your enjoyment and length-of-happy-ownership. So "Up Yours!" (Budget)

Please do NOT put too much faith in that fax-product. "No News means NOTHING!" You can believe most of what IS reported, but NO reports = NO INFO. It does NOT mean that there are not undiscovered, unreported issues up to and including a totalled-rebuild.

Good Luck, and report back when you snagged a Snake....

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good day to you all!

Red, Yellow, Steel Gray

First off, Welcome Killer & Good Luck. You said you were looking for the years (01'-02', 98'-99') but you listed Steel Gray as one of your colors. The ONLY year it was available was 2000! If it matters.

OP
OP
K

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, tough market I guess these days! When I meant mid $30k I should have been more clear... I can go as high as $35-$38k

I don't really wanna get a loan for any balance, just gotta keep looking I guess. Seems a majority of them are in the 40's. I've read a few threads on there that higher mile cars are actually better than lower mile ones because they tend to sit for a while/rot/seals need replacing, etc. I might go over a 30,000 mile car depending on how it is.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do, take your time cause you will probably see several pretenders BEFORE you find Exactly what your looking for. After you start seeing some of the Beautiful ones on here, you'll wish you waited on your Dream Viper! JMO

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you looking to buy a Viper for resale? Drive? or just sit on as a collector and take it out to wash it once in a while? I understand you don't want a totalled POS, but what does a small or minor accident hurt on a 10+ year old car? Just my .02 Don't buy a RT if your thinking about a GTS though. Do you plan on modding the car at all? All things to factor into your search. I happen to know where there is a 99 GTS ACR that may go for pennies on the dollar but don't want to waste my resource on someone that may be fooling around.

-Tim

OP
OP
K

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I understand what you mean. I plan to use it primarily as a weekend car/oneday to work a week/fun road track car and it will not be my DD. As far as putting miles, I do intend to drive it every chance I get unless I go to on site (I work as a mechanical engineer/project manage for offshore skids that go on wellhead platforms) so when not in office im always in Fab yards/welding shops/ports, etc - prolly not the best places to take a Viper. As far as mods go, I am looking at (if not already there) bolt ons (intake/exhaust) and maybe some minor transmission mods. I do not intend on going Forced.

Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's help on here and the messages so far. you guys are a great group! :2tu: