Looky what I won.....what a hoot!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At our region Holiday party this year, I won an auction for a comp-coupe style carbon fiber hood donated by Vipair and Viper Parts of America.

Now, I'm not normally one for unpainted carbon fiber body panels on an otherwise painted car and on a previous car that I put a CF hood on, I painted the hood. I'm going to have a REALLY hard time doing that with this hood though....it's beautiful and I think the CF and the yellow go great together. I may still paint it or some portion of it though....if you have any cool ideas for me, lemme hear 'em.

A few pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, and HOLY COW it's cold here....I 'bout froze to death just taking pictures today! :crazy2::crazy2:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a really cool hood and would be a shame to paint it, but it looks a little too Fast and Furious for such an already good looking car and color.

congrats on the win though.

Bruce

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your stock hood looks much better and more aggressive. You went backwards. It looks cool, but that's it. Now, if it was an '08-up hood in carbon fiber then I could see it being an upgrade, but this is a step backwards IMO.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice hood, but the 08 hood looks more aggressive.

Nice win btw. Congrats!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats

i think it looks cool in cf, keep it that way until you get tired of it then paint part of it, keep it that way until you get tired of it, then paint the rest of it, like having multiple cars.

that's what i'd do, but i'm cheap :lmao:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Kelly, and kudos to Vipair and VPA for donating it. If you decide you dont like the look on your car, I know somebody with a black car that would take it off your hands:D

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting hood.

It has the Gen3 vents, which I thought they changed that design in the Gen4 because the vent placement of the Gen3 was too far back and caused heat problems to blow in to the cabin.

But I don't know how the huge center vents effect that.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw Andy Wheelers CF hood at the last C&C Houston, he left just the raised center section CF and painted the rest :2tu: It was a very nice touch of CF without being too much.

Congrats on the win, if you decide not to use it, worst case it will make for some nice garage art :headbang:

Last edited:

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway to bleed some black down into the front spoiler, perhaps with vinyl? I think the black stops too abruptly. It's neat though -- and the price was hard to beat. ;)

That last pic of all that shimmering CF is incredible.

Last edited:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes will tie the black front spoiler and canards into the rest of the car. Lay Gen3-wide stripes over the car, paint the non stripe area of the hood yellow, and leave the stripe area on the hood exposed CF.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh, and HOLY COW it's cold here....I 'bout froze to death just taking pictures today! :crazy2::crazy2:

I really like this pic. The look of that CF is just awesome. However...IMO I think it would look better if it was an '08 style hood in CF. As for an idea. Perhaps paint all of the hood except for the part of the intake. Starting at the opening and running all the way back to the windshield. Kinda like the "Fang stripes" on the '05 com. editions or the '09 VOI 10 cars.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint it, leave it bare, stripe it, blah blah blah. I want to know how much lighter it is?? ;)

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your stock hood looks much better and more aggressive. You went backwards. It looks cool, but that's it. Now, if it was an '08-up hood in carbon fiber then I could see it being an upgrade, but this is a step backwards IMO.

Agreed. 08 style scoop is alot bigger so this carbon fiber one really throws the car off especially on an ACR.

But it doesn't look bad.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good thing you got rid of that gen2

and on an ACR, id keep it all CF. any other car, id paint it

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I definitely like the '08 hood vents better, the gen3 hood vents are too small, but I think the center vent is pretty slick. I did a decent photoshop of what Austin is proposing above and it looks good. Unfortunately I didn't save it when I went to bed last night and my computer rebooted (thanks Windows Update).

As for the panel gap, it is just a tad larger than with the factory hood, but Vipair has already given me guidance on how to correct it, so no sweat.

I think I'll just 'wear' the hood unpainted for awhile, but I suspect I'll end up painting it, or at least some part of it. It'll be a shame to cover up that pretty carbon fiber, but I've done it before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960