Loss of power

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone im a new member with some new problems.
For the past few months I have had a blast with my 04 viper and love everything about this car except for a problem that it now has.
On monday I took it to the gas station filled it up with 93 octane and on the way home I decided to get on it that is when everything went downhill. It's like I have lost half my horsepower anything over 3500rpm it starts cutting out and chattering sounds like it's at the topend of the motor. So on tuesday I took it to the dealer and he said I got a load of bad gas after driving it. On thursday I took it out and ran the gas out of it and refulled at a newer gas station still the same problem and still no check engine light.
My car only has 12000 miles on it. Has anyone had these kind of problems and if so please help.

Thanks

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried running a can of dry gas through it, just because you ran most of the gas out of it, doesn't mean you got all the moisture out of it. I would try that first.

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper tech told me to run a can of octane booster through it so I did on the second tank of fuel. Still no diffrence.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have a fuel filter on the drivers side by the rear wheel - I would check it first.

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When this happend did your check engine light come on.

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried running a can of dry gas through it, just because you ran most of the gas out of it, doesn't mean you got all the moisture out of it. I would try that first.

Where would I find dry gas.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey this sounds like me a few weeks ago, but unfortunately dry gas and octane booster won't help the 2 smoked pistons I found!
Hopefully you don't end up with the same thing I did!

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I sit here and think about there are a few more problems. I am getting a scent of raw fuel comming out of the exhaust pipes. It idles fine but when reved at a compleat stop it is still chattering. I really don't think I had bad fuel in the first place.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would check your fuel pressure (should be ~55psi), and check your plugs to make sure you haven't fouled them. It could have been bad gas that started the problem, but then continuing to run it poorly could have done further damage.

If you can't run over a certain speed it will take a while before you'd see a code...

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd bet my next paycheck your cat convertors are melted inside and clogged. Youll need to replace them, or remove them, to bring back your power.

Flash

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd bet my next paycheck your cat convertors are melted inside and clogged. Youll need to replace them, or remove them, to bring back your power.

Flash

I took it to the viper tech this morning and it turns out to be a cracked coil pack. I guess thats why the exhaust smells like raw fuel.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to get the viper to your closest viper certified dealer and get it repaired under warranty. When you said you heard clattering in the top of the engine I would want that looked into also. It is the job of DC to fix this problem, not you. Call Dc and ask them where they want you to take it for repairs. This is why we pay for a warranty. Use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine