Lost my '08 but Kudos to Bernie (BJ Motors), Mark J. (Woodhouse) and State Farm

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No one was injured (just a bruised ego). Only had the car for 5 weeks and 600 miles but it turned heads everywhere and even won a small car show locally. The car was damaged beyond repair on Saturday night and Bernie was at my house first thing Sunday morning to inspect the damage. He even put off breakfast with his wife to trailer the car to his shop on Sunday morning. On Monday he had inventoried the damage and priced out all the parts needed. On Tuesday he went thru the car in great detail with a State Farm rep and also provided an estimated value of my car (pre-accident). On Wednesday (today) I had a more than fair buyout offer from State Farm. I am amazed at Bernie's knowledge of the Viper. He is a true asset to the Viper community. It surely made this a smooth and efficient process. I am also pleased with how quickly State Farm was able to make me a great offer without a bunch of posturing, negotiation, stall tactics, etc. They pick up the car tomorrow and I will have my funds in hand by Friday. Less than 6 days in total to wrap up this situation and move forward.

Would also like to say a special thanks to Mark Jorgensen of Woodhouse who provided great advice and insights since Saturday night as I had questions about potentially having to repair the car if the car was not deemed a total loss.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear dwhitt,

Glad you're okay, I'm sure every one of us has had at least one moment where our car was out of control because we gave the car inputs it responded to without question....thankfully many of us didn't have the car hit anything during that moment. If yours did, well thats just bad luck/karma/etc. and likely won't happen again....that's the best part....you're a better driver for having experienced your sad event.....Go for an '09!!

I went to driving range tonight....7 out of 10 shots were crap.....I'm not giving up golf....I hope you don't give up Viper ownership either!

Regards,
Aaron

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to driving range tonight....7 out of 10 shots were crap.....I'm not giving up golf....I hope you don't give up Viper ownership either!

Thankfully your golf shot and this mishap didn't seriously hurt someone. Not to derail the thread but I nearly killed a kid on the golf range one day. Hit him square in the back of the neck with a low line drive. I went with them to the hospital and the ER Doc was clear that if it was a few inches up and toward the base of the skull ,it would have been a 50/50 chance of being fatal.

I send that kid a card every year on his birthday.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that unfortunate mishap.. there's some great dealers here. Get back up the saddle and order a new one, I'd find it tough losing something like that over a mishap..

RavenFan.. that's a tough one, glad it worked out for the better.. I accidently zinged a ball right at my brother inlaw one time as we was down the green a bit, luckily he ducked just in time behind his golf bag.. I have had bad luck playing with friends.. one time with another buddy, we were out ***** shooting, using one of those hand held clay pigeon pitching things (you gotta get used to snapping your wrist to release the clay disc), I swung and it released too late and came around, and it almost hit him in the side of the head hitting his ball cap.. but lucky for me it didn't hit him, his Italian blood would have boiled instantly imagining that he would have had me dancing to semi auto shotgun fire like the western days..

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are ok and got things settled so fast. If you don't mind me asking, what happened? Perhaps you could share and we can learn from your experience.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am also curious as to the events surrounding the incident. Did something break or go wrong with the car?

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're alright.

And you're right about Bernie, I spoke with him when I was researching my car and he was a great help. :2tu:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your thrashing but I often wonder how so many people destroy such a great handling car. I mean, come on; you really have to be whipping around like an escaped gorilla to crash a Viper. If you buy another one, I would suggest that you take some driving classes, get medicated and/or take it to a track that can handle some speed. Public roads were not designed for handling over 1.1 g's of cornering speed.

I'm beginning to think that Dodge needs to require its patrons to take a "Spaz Test" before letting them take delivery of these cars. Spaz out and you are denied.

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEEZ... another 08 down for the count? Glad to hear everyone is ok.... Collision rates for Vipers are going up fellas..

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your thrashing but I often wonder how so many people destroy such a great handling car. I mean, come on; you really have to be whipping around like an escaped gorilla to crash a Viper. If you buy another one, I would suggest that you take some driving classes, get medicated and/or take it to a track that can handle some speed. Public roads were not designed for handling over 1.1 g's of cornering speed.

I'm beginning to think that Dodge needs to require its patrons to take a "Spaz Test" before letting them take delivery of these cars. Spaz out and you are denied.

Get medicated? Spaz test? The guy just totalled his car. I'm sure he really enjoyed your lecture. Thoughtful post.

V

Venomiss

Really sorry to hear about your Viper but glad to hear you walked away.
That's the most important part.

Since this is your fourth Viper we hope you take a bit to regroup and come back to another Viper very soon.

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ARE YOU FOR REAL??!!!
Were you there? You have no idea of the circumstances surrounding this accident! I wonder about some ppl........
Im sorry to here of your mishap, it can happen to anyone! Go ahead and get yourself another one. You will love the new one even more :drive:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to read of your loss. Since the event occurred at five weeks with only six hundred miles on the car, it must have been emotionally difficult and probably still is. Since you are an experienced Viper driver, if you can bring yourself to describe what you believe caused the event it would be very helpful. There are those that will criticize you no matter what you say. Just try to filter the comments. Anyone who has driven a Viper in a spirited manner has, at one time or another, had a close call. And many have had a crash either on the road or on a road course. In particular, I would like to know whether it was another cold tire incident or whether there was any type of mechanical malfunction. The fact that you stated that you were now a little gun shy raises questions that need to be answered for the benefit of club members. Thank you in advance for your response.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Give him a break already, can you imagine how he feels? :rolleyes:

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any good parts left......................????switch out hoods with me before state farm comes and gets it???

I dying to know what happened????????????????

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any good parts left......................????switch out hoods with me before state farm comes and gets it???

I dying to know what happened????????????????

I think everybody needs to give this guy a break. Actually, legally, he is probably better off not telling the world in an open forum what happened due to his insurance, his drivers license, etc. I am sure he will tell everyone in time once he has had time to think about it and if it the right thing to do. Not trying to be an ---, but this guy just lost his new car. :nono:

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is hard to total? You sure your on the right forum? We wreak these things weekly. Its probabley one of the easiest cars to put away.

This guy doesnt look like any newbie either- looks like hes had his fair share of Vipers which mentions to say he SOLD them.

Anways...Sorry man- been there myself, learned from it and bought another...

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do anything but represent Viper owners.

I said I represent the Vipers, not the owners. Read more slowly so that your brain can keep up with your eyes. My remarks were not only directed toward this particular "Thrasher" but to many other Viper owners. These are beautiful cars that deserve our respect. Reckless driving for the sake of bamboozling one's cronies is something that one should only do in a Mustang or late model corvette. Vipers deserve more. Here are some elementary tips;

1. Do not flog the gas peddle while the steering wheel is turned.
2. Never let a teenager drive your Viper or influence your driving.
3. Before you think impulsively, ask yourself, "How would I feel if I destroy this car?"
4. Consider joining a road course driving group such as Safe Motorsports if you desire to do some spirited driving. Don't whine when Chuck laps you.
5. Do not drink and drive unless you are driving a Mustang in an empty parking lot.
6. When you pass by some 13 year old dipsh1ts in your neighborhood, do not react to their "spin 'em" gestures and sub 80 IQ chants.
7. Do not attempt turns at over three times the speed limit when the road is lined with trees, guardrails or construction equipment.
8. If you need a vehicle to display your manhood in, buy a dirt bike, thrash the hell out of it and laugh all the way to the back brace in your closet.
9. Never drive a Viper without first unloading your male hormones. If your wife or girlfriend will not participate in such vital activities, learn to perfect some self survival skills ( you should have accomplished this by the age of 13 )
10. Remember that there is plenty of fun to have in your Viper, well below the threshold of thrashing the ever living **** out of it, into a telephone pole.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I said I represent the Vipers, not the owners. Read more slowly so that your brain can keep up with your eyes. My remarks were not only directed toward this particular "Thrasher" but to many other Viper owners. These are beautiful cars that deserve our respect. Reckless driving for the sake of bamboozling one's cronies is something that one should only do in a Mustang or late model corvette. Vipers deserve more. Here are some elementary tips;

1. Do not flog the gas peddle while the steering wheel is turned.
2. Never let a teenager drive your Viper or influence your driving.
3. Before you think impulsively, ask yourself, "How would I feel if I destroy this car?"
4. Consider joining a road course driving group such as Safe Motorsports if you desire to do some spirited driving. Don't whine when Chuck laps you.
5. Do not drink and drive unless you are driving a Mustang in an empty parking lot.
6. When you pass by some 13 year old dipsh1ts in your neighborhood, do not react to their "spin 'em" gestures and sub 80 IQ chants.
7. Do not attempt turns at over three times the speed limit when the road is lined with trees, guardrails or construction equipment.
8. If you need a vehicle to display your manhood in, buy a dirt bike, thrash the hell out of it and laugh all the way to the back brace in your closet.
9. Never drive a Viper without first unloading your male hormones. If your wife or girlfriend will not participate in such vital activities, learn to perfect some self survival skills ( you should have accomplished this by the age of 13 )
10. Remember that there is plenty of fun to have in your Viper, well below the threshold of thrashing the ever living **** out of it, into a telephone pole.

Someone has an accident and loses their 08 and you find an opportunity to pile on with the above garbage. Save your escaped gorillas and Spaz tests for your adolescent story telling. Since when were you chosen to represent anything much less Vipers? Your words of wisdom show us all what you really represent. Now go ahead and spew some more on someone's bad misfortune.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone has an accident and loses their 08 and you find an opportunity to pile on with the above garbage. Save your escaped gorillas and Spaz tests for your adolescent story telling. Since when were you chosen to represent anything much less Vipers? Your words of wisdom show us all what you really represent. Now go ahead and spew some more on someone's bad misfortune.

Lighten up and remember; I was not the one who broke the law and thrashed my Viper. It's not as if a lightning bolt hit his car. "Thrasher" did it all on his own and on public roads. I think he is the kind of guy to learn his lesson and hope he will not do the same in the future. You, on the other hand need to work on #9 on my suggestion tips list. Your seething anger suggests that you are all bottled up and long overdue for release.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lighten up and remember; I was not the one who broke the law and thrashed my Viper. It's not as if a lightning bolt hit his car. "Thrasher" did it all on his own and on public roads. I think he is the kind of guy to learn his lesson and hope he will not do the same in the future. You, on the other hand need to work on #9 on my suggestion tips list. Your seething anger suggests that you are all bottled up and long overdue for release.

No anger here, but you can rest assured that I and probably all the rest of the members are printing out your ten commandments and sticking them on our dashes for constant enlightenment.