Lost my sub and speaker above it???

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, two days ago I noticed that neither the center sub nor the speaker above it were operating. Using the fade and balance I have verified correct operation of the rear tweeters (under the roll hoops) and the front speakers.

At first I assumed that all of the speakers (except the sub) were powered by the head unit and the amp was only used to power the sub. Disproved that theory by pulling the amp fuse.

Do both of those speakers (sub and the one above) run off of the same amp-channel? It would seem unlikely that I lost two channels simultaneously and also seems unlikely that the only speakers not working, coincidentily, happen to be right next to each other...

I have never removed the grills off of either center speaker (so I might need a tutorial). The more I think about it, the more it looks like a loose connector (1. the speakers probably fire off of two separate channels which should rule out the amp, 2. both speakers are in the same location, 3. everthing else works fine...).

Has anybody else ever had any issues with sub/center speaker becoming inoperable? Any knowledge of maybe an inline fuse or connector or even a pinch point? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

scratching (but unable to bang) my head in NM,

Thom

acarr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thom,
same thing happened to me. took to dealer and found that the wires had vibrated loose, connected wires and all is good. good luck

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, two days ago I noticed that neither the center sub nor the speaker above it were operating.

There's no speaker above the sub. That's the port outlet for the enclosure.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, two days ago I noticed that neither the center sub nor the speaker above it were operating.

There's no speaker above the sub. That's the port outlet for the enclosure.
Sure seems like they put a lot of thought into such a ****** speaker! I have to turn the base almost all the way down to keep it from rattling and bottoming out!

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's "bottoming out" then something's wrong with it. It shouldn't be doing that at all.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like daisy-chained wiring. Fix one and both will work.

OP
OP
O

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
excellent info! thanks guys. I'll pull the sub and see if it's disconnected there. I'm close to 35-40 miles from my dealer so anytime it goes in, it's an all day affair which includes messing with the bosses schedule (wife/satan). So anytime I can attempt a quick fix or anything not very time involved I like to do it myself. I was really suprised to find out the upper speaker-looking object was an enclosure port. now I can see the advertised 7-speaker system (always wondered why they had eight... turns out, it just looks like eight.)

I think I'm going to meter the amp first since that'll only take a minute (somebody had the pin-outs posted on another thread), then, if that's good, I'll pull the sub to see if it's disconnected. Hopefully the sub is not wired to the enclosure and the enclosure to the amp (if so it's going to the dealer, I'm not pulling the enclosure).

thanks again guys - a lot of good info! :2tu:

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll pull the sub to see if it's disconnected. Hopefully the sub is not wired to the enclosure and the enclosure to the amp (if so it's going to the dealer, I'm not pulling the enclosure).

It's pretty involved. You can't pull the speaker unless you pull the big trim panel behind the seats. It's far better to pull the enclosure assembly as a unit. The connector for the subwoofer is on the outside of the enclosure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc