Lost to a Mustang........I'm so ashamed

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lost to a Mustang........I\'m so ashamed

i picked my 2001 ford lightning truck as well as the rest of my cars in my sig over a ford cobra. why? i can't see buying a car that i think looks ugly, no matter how fast it goes or how reliable it is. i bought all of my cars and my lightning truck first and foremost for the reason i think they look good. performance was the secondary consideration and THEY ALL PERFORM WELL WHEN USED FOR THEIR INTENDED RACE DESIGN USAGE. some cars were designed with road racing in mind and some cars were designed with drag racing in mind. reliability and quality were the third considerations and i feel they are all up 2 the challenge. if the cobra could come out with some styling that i thought looked attractive i would consider buying one.

but even then i feel that the cobra has alot of things out of wack. i feel that a supercharged engine should be coupled with a solid axle rear end and auto tranny only. also independent rear suspensions are for road racing, not drag racing. in my opinion the cobra would have been far better off coupling their supercharged engine with a solid axle rear end and a auto tranny. fords supercharged engine is awesome and because it is supercharged it should be used for drag racing only (not road racing). name one professional road racing series where a supercharged engine holds the track record. likewise, show me track records that are set at dragstrips using manual trannies and independent rear ends. the first mistake that ford made with the cobra was inflicted by giving it a identity crisis. when they made the decision to put the supercharged engine in the car they should have released it with a auto tranny and solid rear end only, like the ford lightning truck. if they want to use the independent rear end and manual tranny which road racing cars do then they need to put a normally aspirated engine in it. i use my lightning and camaro for drag racing only because they have auto trannies and solid axle rear ends. i use my vette and viper for road racing only because they have independent rear ends, manual trannies and no superchargers. duh!!!

the new ford gt-44 looks good 2 me and i plan on buying one but i won't be doing any racing with it. i will be just driving it on the street. again i think ford made a mistake here in their decision to put a supercharged engine in the back of a stick shifted independent rear suspended car designed for road racing. they should have put a 500 horsepower normally aspirated engine in the ford gt-44. this problem can be solved more easily than the cobras problem.

ford is pretty stupid when it comes to the basic design of cars. they seem to ignore some basic fundamentals. they are considering ruining the ford lightning with the new version by putting in independent suspension with a stick shift tranny riding on 22 inch wheels (read - no traction). all the while still using a supercharger for power. this truck will be good for nothing if they do that. idiots!!!

P.S. - to all u wanna be racers drag racing cobras and vipers i say get a real drag vehicle like my 2001 camaro ss (with nitrous) or my 2001 ford lightning (5.4 litre supercharged) with auto trannys and solid axle rear ends. and to all of u wannabe road racers i say get a real road race car like my 2001 viper acr (no supercharger) or my 2004 vette Z06 (no supercharger) with 6 speed manual trannnys and independent rear ends. POSER COBRAS ARE NOTHING BUT A SMOKE SHOW!!!

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i picked my 2001 ford lightning truck as well as the rest of my cars in my sig over a ford cobra. why? i can't see buying a car that i think looks ugly, no matter how fast it goes or how reliable it is. i bought all of my cars and my lightning truck first and foremost for the reason i think they look good. performance was the secondary consideration and THEY ALL PERFORM WELL WHEN USED FOR THEIR INTENDED RACE DESIGN USAGE. some cars were designed with road racing in mind and some cars were designed with drag racing in mind. reliability and quality were the third considerations and i feel they are all up 2 the challenge. if the cobra could come out with some styling that i thought looked attractive i would consider buying one.

but even then i feel that the cobra has alot of things out of wack. i feel that a supercharged engine should be coupled with a solid axle rear end and auto tranny only. also independent rear suspensions are for road racing, not drag racing. in my opinion the cobra would have been far better off coupling their supercharged engine with a solid axle rear end and a auto tranny. fords supercharged engine is awesome and because it is supercharged it should be used for drag racing only (not road racing). name one professional road racing series where a supercharged engine holds the track record. likewise, show me track records that are set at dragstrips using manual trannies and independent rear ends. the first mistake that ford made with the cobra was inflicted by giving it a identity crisis. when they made the decision to put the supercharged engine in the car they should have released it with a auto tranny and solid rear end only, like the ford lightning truck. if they want to use the independent rear end and manual tranny which road racing cars do then they need to put a normally aspirated engine in it. i use my lightning and camaro for drag racing only because they have auto trannies and solid axle rear ends. i use my vette and viper for road racing only because they have independent rear ends, manual trannies and no superchargers. duh!!!

the new ford gt-44 looks good 2 me and i plan on buying one but i won't be doing any racing with it. i will be just driving it on the street. again i think ford made a mistake here in their decision to put a supercharged engine in the back of a stick shifted independent rear suspended car designed for road racing. they should have put a 500 horsepower normally aspirated engine in the ford gt-44. this problem can be solved more easily than the cobras problem.

ford is pretty stupid when it comes to the basic design of cars. they seem to ignore some basic fundamentals. they are considering ruining the ford lightning with the new version by putting in independent suspension with a stick shift tranny riding on 22 inch wheels (read - no traction). all the while still using a supercharger for power. this truck will be good for nothing if they do that. idiots!!!

P.S. - to all u wanna be racers drag racing cobras and vipers i say get a real drag vehicle like my 2001 camaro ss (with nitrous) or my 2001 ford lightning (5.4 litre supercharged) with auto trannys and solid axle rear ends. and to all of u wannabe road racers i say get a real road race car like my 2001 viper acr (no supercharger) or my 2004 vette Z06 (no supercharger) with 6 speed manual trannnys and independent rear ends. POSER COBRAS ARE NOTHING BUT A SMOKE SHOW!!!

So I guess all the Vipers and Cobras running low 10's and high 9's are not "real" drag vehicles. :rolleyes:

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just wait for the GT to come out, if you think supercharging a 4.6 makes an unbelievable combo, the 5.4's take power adders very well too. By the way, the Cobra guys may hate me for this, but if I had a choice (between the 03 Cobra and the Viper), I would choose the Viper, I would take the Z06 over the 03 Cobra too, but I'm not just a straight line guy.

I think most people, if money is not an option would take the Viper over the 03 Cobra. The Z06.....eh I don't know about that one, the corvette is just to much of a mid-life crisis car. There just isn't much manly about the newer Corvettes, but hey to each his own. But as far as bang for the buck, the 03 Cobra can not be beaten.

I see your view, as I feel the same about MOST Vettes, just as I wouldn't get MOST BMW's for the branding attached to them (exception: M5). However, I think the Z06 is an exception. I would definitely choose an 03 Cobra over a regular C5. Believe me, the Z06 is THE best Vette ever, I am doing some serious work on my R suspension/chassis to improve the handling, and it makes me realize what a difference it makes when a car is actually purpose-built for that from the very start. So, there is no way an 03 Cobra would even compare in that department.

So, does 29 years old qualify as mid-life? Maybe I'm going through mine prematurely :eek: :eek:

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So I guess all the Vipers and Cobras running low 10's and high 9's are not "real" drag vehicles. :rolleyes:

I think they were both designed to be high performance street cars with an edge towards drag racing/road racing. Especially the Cobra. SVT is about well rounded vehicles.

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just wait for the GT to come out, if you think supercharging a 4.6 makes an unbelievable combo, the 5.4's take power adders very well too. By the way, the Cobra guys may hate me for this, but if I had a choice (between the 03 Cobra and the Viper), I would choose the Viper, I would take the Z06 over the 03 Cobra too, but I'm not just a straight line guy.

I think most people, if money is not an option would take the Viper over the 03 Cobra. The Z06.....eh I don't know about that one, the corvette is just to much of a mid-life crisis car. There just isn't much manly about the newer Corvettes, but hey to each his own. But as far as bang for the buck, the 03 Cobra can not be beaten.

I see your view, as I feel the same about MOST Vettes, just as I wouldn't get MOST BMW's for the branding attached to them (exception: M5). However, I think the Z06 is an exception. I would definitely choose an 03 Cobra over a regular C5. Believe me, the Z06 is THE best Vette ever, I am doing some serious work on my R suspension/chassis to improve the handling, and it makes me realize what a difference it makes when a car is actually purpose-built for that from the very start. So, there is no way an 03 Cobra would even compare in that department.

So, does 29 years old qualify as mid-life? Maybe I'm going through mine prematurely :eek: :eek:

I will retract my previous statement about vettes in general. I do agree that a Z06 is a totally different car than the C5. I myself only being 21 would even own a Z06......maybe.....hehe.

Godsize

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have to agree with Dan Berndt on this one. I remeber a few year back when the Ferrari F355 was the new model out. A good friend of mine's rich uncle bought one. Being typical kids we wanted to try and race him. My good friend was running a blown 93 cobra and after a few months of trying we finally got out shot at him. To not much suprise, we beat him as Ferrari's have never been 1/4 mile cars. When all was said and done we exited the car to gloat at which point the rich uncle simply said "yeah you won, but I still have the Ferrari". We were dumbfounded, we won the race yet somehow he was still the winner. So look at your loss that way.