Lowering caps - $150
Which can be used with Eibachs - $350
Vipair adjustable springs - $1000
KW V2 coilovers - $3000
Moton(Motion Control)/Penske - $4500+

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't lower it more than an inch. I used the KW's to lower mine and wore holes in the inner fenders and destroyed the front edge of the carbon fiber piece that extends back from the front bumper. Not to mention what the bottom of the bumper now looks like. I was even considering a small chin spoiler until I saw all the damage. I'd limit it to the Eibachs and maybe the caps too.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1"!! Blackmoon are you serious;)? Ive lowered my back more than 2"s and my front almost 2"s and still thinking it may need to be 1/4" lowered all around. The lower the better, Right Ryan?:2tu:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1"!! Blackmoon are you serious;)? Ive lowered my back more than 2"s and my front almost 2"s and still thinking it may need to be 1/4" lowered all around. The lower the better, Right Ryan?:2tu:

Yes I am serious. If you have to deal with speed bumps, steep driveways and elevation changes these's a limit to how much you can drop without constantly worrying about all of the above. Springs and caps drop it about 1.5" which is still pretty safe. But by all means drop away if it makes you happy. Slam the *****!;)

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, the rear inner wheelhouse liners can take a beating when it's slammed, but they're easily replaceable. One inch lower is what it should have come from at the factory!

Nick, are you planning on upgrading to 19/20s anytime soon? The car needs to be pretty low to pull off that look - if you're keeping 18/19s, you can drop it without slamming it, and it'll look in proportion with the larger sidewalls

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. I think I am very lucky to have great roads and there are very few speed bumps anywhere near me so Im able to slam her hard with no worries. But you are right I do have to be careful when going in and out of places but def worth the hassle to look sooo mean:2tu: and like Ive said before Motons make being this low sooooo much better.

OP
OP

2005_Black_Vper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the rear inner wheelhouse liners can take a beating when it's slammed, but they're easily replaceable. One inch lower is what it should have come from at the factory!

Nick, are you planning on upgrading to 19/20s anytime soon? The car needs to be pretty low to pull off that look - if you're keeping 18/19s, you can drop it without slamming it, and it'll look in proportion with the larger sidewalls

Hank,

I am going to keep the stock rims, so can I just get lowering caps or you have to get Eibachs as well? I really dont feel like blowing 1k or more to lower the car, I know it will improve the handling but its not worth it to me a this point.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can install just caps or just eibachs or both together. With just caps you will get around 1/2" of lowering. With just eibachs you will get 1" lowering and with springs and caps you'll be around 1-1/2" lower. If you like the look of a lowered Viper then Id recommend doing the springs and caps together since you will be compressing the springs anyway. Plus caps only isnt worth the time and money in the looks department. SHouldnt have more than $600-$700 in doing both and def worth the look. I think Ryan will concur. Good Luck and post pics when your done:2tu:

ViperCobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can install just caps or just eibachs or both together. With just caps you will get around 1/2" of lowering. With just eibachs you will get 1" lowering and with springs and caps you'll be around 1-1/2" lower. If you like the look of a lowered Viper then Id recommend doing the springs and caps together since you will be compressing the springs anyway. Plus caps only isnt worth the time and money in the looks department. SHouldnt have more than $600-$700 in doing both and def worth the look. I think Ryan will concur. Good Luck and post pics when your done:2tu:
. +1 :)

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lowering caps alone can set the front ride height to something I could be happy with, but the rear on these cars is quite high in stock form, and you will not get enough quite lowering IMO with just caps alone. Once you start down this road you realize there is no cheap way to do this right, esp. considering the added cost of a competent 4-wheel alignment job on top of it. The advantage that I see to doing caps alone is that you keep the stock spring rates and also the OEM shock is still riding in a part of the stroke that is fairly close to as-designed. Some have reported ill effects from dropping the stock shocks extensively with both caps and lowering springs. If you exceed one inch of lowering on the OEM shocks and take a look at where the shock is operating, you will see that it is nearly riding on the rubber bump stop at the top of the shock. So while spring lengths are easily changed, the overall length of the shock itself is not!

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and go with an aftermarket coil-over set, which are designed to be operated at typically 3/4"-1.5" lower than stock without compromising damping ability.

Last edited:

wellis77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Splitting time between Grand Rapids, MI and Zurich
Another option not mentioned is RideTech. They offer an air suspension for Gen 3's and they may even be able to offer a coil-over for the Gen 3's. They have made a lot of changes in their shock offering and it may be worth a look anyway; single, double, triple, and 2-way electronically adjustable. Here is a pic of one of the rears I'm using on a '69 Dart build using a modified Gen 3 suspension. This is the 2-way electronically adjustable shock. Should also note we decided to use the double convoluted bag in the rear since I'll have more weight out back than a Viper. Normally the rear bag for a Viper is a rolling sleeve. Still, the double convoluted fits through the UCA.

You must be registered for see images attach

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had one rig with air ride and that will be my last. I hated air ride. It was fine sitting still looking at it but the way it rode and handled made me want to throw up:crazy2:

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another option not mentioned is RideTech. They offer an air suspension for Gen 3's and they may even be able to offer a coil-over for the Gen 3's. They have made a lot of changes in their shock offering and it may be worth a look anyway; single, double, triple, and 2-way electronically adjustable. Here is a pic of one of the rears I'm using on a '69 Dart build using a modified Gen 3 suspension. This is the 2-way electronically adjustable shock. Should also note we decided to use the double convoluted bag in the rear since I'll have more weight out back than a Viper. Normally the rear bag for a Viper is a rolling sleeve. Still, the double convoluted fits through the UCA.

You must be registered for see images attach

You may want to consider the following options too:

KW: http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_hls.php

Roberuta: http://www.roberuta.com/english/index.html

Both systems work differently, but effectively raise the car a couple of inches without affecting the suspension due to the way that they raise it.. supposedly

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is vipair?

Vipair is a forum sponsor who sells aftermarket parts for our cars. Their suspension kit includes Eibach springs with your choice of spring rates (I did 400/600) and threaded sleeves that fit over the OEM shock, allowing you to adjust your ride height to your liking.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipair is a forum sponsor who sells aftermarket parts for our cars. Their suspension kit includes Eibach springs with your choice of spring rates (I did 400/600) and threaded sleeves that fit over the OEM shock, allowing you to adjust your ride height to your liking.

can you use lowering caps with this kit or is it not neccessary since you can adjust the height with the sleeves?

FYI, id take em if you are sellin em'

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a similar setup on my lotus' bilsteins. With the vipair setup, do you simply machine a new groove to rest the new threaded sleeve?

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar setup on my lotus' bilsteins. With the vipair setup, do you simply machine a new groove to rest the new threaded sleeve?
He's no longer making the kit I had and now makes true coilovers, but the setup I had had a threaded sleeve that would slide over the OEM shock. A plate would spin up or down on the threaded sleeve and had 4 locking Allen screws that would keep the plate in place. The spring rested on top of the plate, which allowed you to adjust the height.

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^yea that sounds similar to the setup i have. any idea what the shock diameter is? might be able to still order a proper sized sleeve.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^yea that sounds similar to the setup i have. any idea what the shock diameter is? might be able to still order a proper sized sleeve.
I wouldn't suggest it. OEM shocks are prone to leaking/blowing. When I installed my kit, I found I had 3 blown shocks. I ended up installing KW V2s a couple weeks later.

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to do an alignment after 100 miles. Especially the rear tires have to be checked. I did the caps/springs and what a difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 33

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most recent option is the MCS high quality single adjustable shock for just over $3K. Adjustable for ride height and firmness. Super smooth ride with great control.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456