Lucky me (wreck).

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here...are we talking about stopping for an accident scene (before police/medical personnel arrive) and parking the car in the middle of highway or are we talking about parking the car in the breakdown lane (or further out of the way) with the hazards on? Because if it's the latter, the problem is not motorists with common sense who stop to help, it's the oblivious folks that don't slow down and yield caution to an accident scene that are the problem, not the good Samaritans. As for not touching an accident victim, agreed. I've usually stayed near the victim talking to them until help arrived.

Perhaps one of the loneliest and desperate feeling-situations I've ever had was when I totaled my car in a head on collision on the highway. I smacked into a vehicle that lost control around 4 a.m. After my car, what was left of it (Honda Accord), came to a rest. All I remember seeing was parts scattered all over the highway, there was smoke coming out of my dash and I couldn't move, couldn't open the door, chest was in pain from the seat belt, etc. The other car had 4 occupants in it and none of them were moving. No traffic so it took what seemed like forever for someone to come check on us. It was QUIET. Fortunately, a trucker and a few others pulled over and stopped to help. They stayed there until help arrived. I was grateful for that.

I guess the point is if one is going to stop to help, exercise caution and common sense. Which I know some folks in this thread are more than capable of doing.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...if one is going to stop to help, exercise caution and common sense. Which I know some folks in this thread are more than capable of doing.

My point all along. Treat us like we have a brain and are not children or stupid. Saying that "we" are the problem is insulting. :rolleyes:

Hey fdjake... Can I play with your helmet?

:eater:

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BINGO!!!

NO MORE PHONE CALLS.....We have a winner!!!

Thanks TONY....

The people who STOP to HELP are taking a HUGE risk and most have NO IDEA how big that risk is....But the REAL PROBLEM is the DRUNKS, CELL PHONE USERS, TEXT MESSAGE SENDERS, RUBBER NECKERS that are also EATING, DRINKING, and SLEEPING while driving by the scene that kill innocent people. Innocent people who did nothing more than to stop and offer assistance.

I had no idea how SENSITIVE DAVE and CHUCK were.....Maybe later when they calm down, they can hold hands and RE-READ my original post which laid out the dangers that are out there for people trying to HELP!

Or.....they can ignore it and have a BALL on their local stretch of interstate!!! Either way....I don't care.

Hopefully others here WILL listen and think twice before STOPPING on the HIGHWAY. I don't care if they didn't like the delivery....It ***** seeing people hurt and killed for doing nothing more than trying to HELP.

Hopefully this thread has made a few people THINK next time they see an accident on the highway. Just KEEP DRIVING....Make a mental note of the location and number of cars involved, get off the highway, then CALL 911 when you are in a safe location.

It is simply NOT worth the risk. We now have TWO other members here that CONFIRM that other experienced Rescue personel agree....DON'T DO IT!!!

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna add one thing here for our HERO'S Chuck and Dave.

IF.....IF you chose to IGNORE warnings from 3(THREE) posters.

DO IT RIGHT!!!!

Next time you feel COMPELLED to stop at an accident on the highway. USE WHAT YOU HAVE AVAILABLE!!!

An approaching Semi or large box truck is just what you're looking for. As they slow down approaching the scene ask the driver if he can BLOCK approaching traffic PRIOR to the accident. Trucks are REQUIRED to have FLARES on board...Have him set up like their taught for a disabled truck. Once the Fire Department gets there they'll cut him loose, so it's not like you're asking him to spend 3 hours there.
Try to get him at least 100 yards from the wreckage and get him to park kitty corner taking up a couple of lanes. This will give you a BIG safety cushion. The FLARES will alert drivers even FURTHER back from the truck and accident.

We see people all the time at these scenes, that have let these SAFETY BARRIERS on wheels just drive by. As was said here before, MOST people are happy to help. By using this simple technique you can GREATLY reduce the risk for YOU and the victims.

Again.....my advice is DO NOT STOP....But if you're STANDING in the middle of a highway among wrecked cars....At least give yourself a fighting chance.

And NO Dave.....You can not PLAY with my helmet....But I can tell you where to get one for the TRUNK of your "Red, Honorary Fire Service, Medical AID, Highway Rescue VIPER" You could have a nice shield made up for it with your car on it and something like...."Junior Firefighter" written underneath!!!
Hell, with those WHITE HOOD VENTS(???)on that Red Viper You've already got it painted the right colors!! Sorry Dave.....That was a low blow, even I admit that. Those white hood vents look....aahh....ummm...well...really great on YOUR car!

Just kidding......The funny part of this....If you and I got together at a VIPER event...We'd probably laugh our @sses off breakin each others b@lls all day!!!

Last edited:

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This train has completely come off track.

Sorry to hear about the wreck and glad you are OK, cars can be replaced.

I stop at the scene of an accident whenever I feel that I can assist. When I see 20 other cars and people on cell phones I'm probably not needed and would simply add to the fodder. I think its a dangerous judgment call that needs to be made on site. Hell had he not got out of bed that morning none of this would have happened either.

Local law enforcement has started making people get out of the vehicle and stand on the side of the road during traffic stops. I'm sure this has to be as or more dangerous than stopping on the scene of an accident.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really, REALLY have a reading comprehension problem as well as a few emotional issues.

Since you're into recapping let's do...

My first reply to you was this...
I agreed with everything you wrote except that last part. I would suggest pulling over when it is safe to do so, stop and then use your cell phone.

In an effort to spark some intelligent discussion (my mistake) my second reply was this...
Are you sure about that? The way cars are built nowadays and the way those child seats strap a kid in the car might be the safest place to be. Of all the good samaritans you've seen end up as victims how many of them were outside the car and how many of them were strapped in with seatbelts?

Somehow that ignited in you numerously edited insulting diatribe with comments such as this...
Are you KIDDING me????

You'll do what every IDIOT does at one of these scenes....
GET IN OUR WAY or cause MORE injuries!!!!!

To no avail I tried to explain my position but would have been just as successful trying to explain it to a six-year-old. I even added "one should not pull over to assist" but your overly excitable nature completely missed it.
Jeeze man, relax. I was responding to your "They leave their kids in the car seats and those kids are TRAPPED." comment. I was simply responding to your scenario of, IF someone pulls over and IF they get out of the car then leaving their kid in the car "trapped" as you say, is probably safer than taking them out of the car where there is zero protection.
Wouldn't you agree?
Ultimately however, one should not pull over to assist. On that we both agree.
Clear now?

Then it went downhill from there.

As with everyone else's reply I'm sure you only read about 2% of their post so I'm certain you'll gloss over this one with your typical limited attention span. Therefore, adios. And I can't wait until the next tax vote.

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vote for whatever you want Chuck...I'm sure the Firefighters in FLORIDA will appreciate all your support. (just blame ME...you're good at that already!)

Either way it won't affect me. I'M NOT IN FLA.

But feel free to take it out on anyone you want.:rolaugh:

Maybe this is why Police have them get out of their cars now...

YouTube - AMAZING POLICE CAR CRASH CAUGHT ON TAPE

BROAD DAY LIGHT....NO WEATHER TO MENTION...LIGHT TRAFFIC....POLICE CAR WITH LIGHTS ON!!!

Still got CRUSHED!!

Stopping on highways is FUN!!!

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vote for whatever you want Chuck...I'm sure the Firefighters in FLORIDA will appreciate all your support.

Either way it won't affect me. I'M NOT IN FLA.

But feel free to take it out on anyone you want.:rolaugh:

As someone with no dog in this fight, gotta chime in here... you're coming off pretty pompous, and a bit self-absorbed. So much so that even when Chuck had agreed with you from the beginning, you wanted to pick a fight with him when you thought he was challenging your a-thor-a-tah!

Humility is a good thing. Good news though... we forgive quickly here. Just don't start talking about wanting traction control on a Viper. :smirk:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone with no dog in this fight, gotta chime in here... you're coming off pretty pompous, and a bit self-absorbed.

I'll chime in too. All I get out of this is that fdjake has probably seen and heard stories of too many mutilated and destroyed bodies and ruined lives due to careless driving. It sounds like all he wants to do is save someone from causing grief for their family needlessly. He doesn't come off pompous to me.

Too many people read into posts things that aren't really intended. My impression about the 3 main players in this side trip are that they are great guys who want to do the right thing.
Funny to "listen" to grown guys bickering, though. :eater:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone with no dog in this fight, gotta chime in here... you're coming off pretty pompous, and a bit self-absorbed. So much so that even when Chuck had agreed with you from the beginning, you wanted to pick a fight with him when you thought he was challenging your a-thor-a-tah!

Humility is a good thing. Good news though... we forgive quickly here. Just don't start talking about wanting traction control on a Viper. :smirk:

Doesn't he have to have a brain to first understand humility is a good thing? Hard to find that from a Prima Donna....................................................

Just saying.....................:smirk:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude. Until you get my respect, I am not a hero here. You need to come up with something of sustenance, instead of self ************ your experiences blowing out candles in to us thinking you are our leader.

I repeat as I have been. Your audience here is intelligent. Myself, way smarter than you are prepared for. Get off the belief that you can advise me on what I should do to survive. I'm starting to struggle with that you won't get burned at a sweet 16 party.

You must be registered for see images attach

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chime in too. All I get out of this is that fdjake has probably seen and heard stories of too many mutilated and destroyed bodies and ruined lives due to careless driving. It sounds like all he wants to do is save someone from causing grief for their family needlessly. He doesn't come off pompous to me.

Too many people read into posts things that aren't really intended. My impression about the 3 main players in this side trip are that they are great guys who want to do the right thing.
Funny to "listen" to grown guys bickering, though. :eater:

I've seen and heard stories too, but I would never talk down to someone I suspected wasn't as well-versed as I am. Nor would I assume I know better than someone else in a specific situation without being there myself. I had no problem with the message... it was his attitude. Too many confused the term "public servant" with "public serviced." I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's kinda looking that way.

Anyways... this thread has been hijacked and shanghaied all over the place. Let it die already. Tomorrow is a new day.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude. Until you get my respect, I am not a hero here. You need to come up with something of sustenance, instead of self ************ your experiences blowing out candles in to us thinking you are our leader.

I repeat as I have been. Your audience here is intelligent. Myself, way smarter than you are prepared for. Get off the belief that you can advise me on what I should do to survive. I'm starting to struggle with that you won't get burned at a sweet 16 party.

You must be registered for see images attach

For a smart guy Dave (I know you are)... them's only 5 candles there. :rolaugh:

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to LEAD anyone or anything here. Just offering some advice.

Here's something that may be interesting reading....

Google the following phrase..."Good Samaritan Killed on Highway"

Then read the 15+ pages of articles from around the country regarding exactly what we're discussing here.

I'm done arguing the point...Maybe seeing article after article can drive home the message. I bet everyone of those people thought they were "way smarter than I'm prepared for" too!!! (That quote is poetry...sheer...Way smarter than I was prepared for.. POETRY!!)

I do find Dave's responses to my posts very interesting...He says "I'm ************ my experience"....Then CRIES about how "I" used a certain TONE in my posts??? AMAZING! He could be Chief of a Department with that level of "way smarter."

I had no idea what a delicate flower he was....The cake picture was a nice touch ( obviously from his private collection of GORGEOUS cake photos.)...I guess that explains the white hood vents!!!

It's all good folks.....Remember...A little old fashioned BALL BREAKIN never hurt anyone.

Dave is obviously a smart guy.....In my world, he'd be RESPECTED for his quick comebacks. The self ************ post,coupled with the birthday cake picture alone would elevate him to LEGEND status in almost any Fire house in the country. This type of BALL BREAKIN is viewed as an ART FORM in the Fire Service! (it keeps everyone GROUNDED)

RELAX.....It's just some ARGUING.....Ball breaking....and all around good VIPER GUY stuff.

You don't get these kinds of exchanges at the MG web sites!!!

This crap is half the fun of being here!!!!!

Dave,

I got a beat up old Helmet hanging in my Garage....I'm gonna have a guy that HAND PAINTS shields for us do one up with that BIRTHDAY CAKE on it and send it to you. Cripes, I might even get a copy of that one for myself. The guy's at work would laugh their @sses off!!

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....It's all good folks.....Remember...A little old fashioned BALL BREAKIN never hurt anyone.

Dave is obviously a smart guy.....In my world, he'd be RESPECTED for his quick comebacks. The self ************ post,coupled with the birthday cake picture alone would elevate him to LEGEND status in almost any Fire house in the country. This type of BALL BREAKIN is viewed as an ART FORM in the Fire Service! (it keeps everyone GROUNDED)

RELAX.....It's just some ARGUING.....Ball breaking....and all around good VIPER GUY stuff.

You don't get these kinds of exchanges at the MG web sites!!!

This crap is half the fun of being here!!!!!

Dave,

I got a beat up old Helmet hanging in my Garage....I'm gonna have a guy that HAND PAINTS shields for us do one up with that BIRTHDAY CAKE on it and send it to you. Cripes, I might even get a copy of that one for myself. The guy's at work would laugh their @sses off!!

decent post dude :2tu:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
fdjake - ever heard of situations where the help of a good samaritan saved the person's life?

You've given us the lowdown on the risk, what about the reward?

What is the ratio of a helping hand turning fatal vs. saving life or being of help?

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen good samaritans literally save peoples lives.

As a matter of fact my Department gives out annual citizen bravery awards for these very incidents.

Some recent examples...

4am a guy gets woken up by screaming coming from outside. He looks out the window and see's his neighbor hanging out the second story window with her entire first floor on fire. He grabbed a ladder from his garage, and got it extended to the woman, then helped her down. Without this guy, she was DEAD!

Another was a 5 year old kid who called 911 when his mother went into diabetic shock. Some folks don't reliaze how dangerous that can be, especially if they stay that way for a prolonged time. This lady was at home while her husband worked and she was in bad shape. The kid did a great job.

Last one was two woman who did CPR on a person and brought this guy back. For anyone in the medical field here, you know the odds of bringing someone back from basically DEAD via CPR is a long shot. They did a great job and the guy had by pass surgery and is still on the right side of the dirt!

In all honesty.....In 15 years....I have never seen anyone given an award for saving someone on the highway. It's not for lack of trying....But these people just don't have the THINGS they need to really save someone that is losing MASSIVE amounts of blood or has severe traumatic injuries. That's all I was getting at in the post....It really is a HIGH RISK/Low reward situation. Add in the people driving by that don't even slow down and it just gets insane out there.

Plenty of examples of good samaratins going great things...Just not a lot of examples from the highway. That's just being 100% honest. I can't say what the ratio would be but it just BOTHERS you after awhile. You see really great people, trying to do something brave, and their lives are changed forever...OR...Their families lifes get changed. Either way....JUST BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

I understand that we're all intelligent adults here and intelligent adults are more than capable of making their own decisions. I was just trying to show what I see out there. It's very sad at times....

There's is NOTHING worse than seeing someone who just wanted to provide a helping hand, or simply some comfort, get KILLED or cripled by a DOPE doing 70 mph through an accident scene....or NOT even seeing the scene to begin with.

STAY SAFE.....

Last edited:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG!!! You have got some damn luck!

Didn't even get to really enjoy that build of yours...or even my cam for that matter!!!!!

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG!!! You have got some damn luck!

Didn't even get to really enjoy that build of yours...or even my cam for that matter!!!!!

Tell me about it. Hopefully soon I can get into another Grey supercharged one.

Just got the police report and will post as soon as I can get it scanned.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me about it. Hopefully soon I can get into another Grey supercharged one.

Just got the police report and will post as soon as I can get it scanned.

Who's this guy? Oh, yeah, he's the original poster. Welcome back. We almost forgot about you.:)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry fellows.

Whew!

Glad to be back. I've been busy saving babies from burning cars in the median of narrow highways during rush hour while on the cell phone blocking most traffic waiting for my equipment to arrive so I can be safe when I get the baby out of the car realizing I don't know what I'm doing and if I did I might not be able to save the baby because I have no equipment or keyboards to tap on and when the helicopter comes it will have to land on top of my car as I'm blocking everything but the baby is safe because I have a puppy with me and babies like puppies so this is a happy rescue story folks.

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you whip out your cake collection photos if it's a woman in distress??

And what's with those WHITE HOOD VENTS???? I can hear that conversation now...

"Mario, you've been my body man for years....I want something different this time....Maybe a pastel, or a light color, but just on the HOOD VENTS. These Viper guys are so butch, I want my Red viper to look more feminine. I guess I'm looking for something that lets people know.... I AM way smarter than they're prepared for."

Mario, did I ever show you my cake collection photos???:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fd... Your record for editing every post is intact. Do you have to go back and get the fire extinguisher every time for the cake candles too?

Dammit... This is a 10 year old's party... Class A fire... Better go back and get a dry chemical cannister. I should remember this next time i get the cake call...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang