Melted Radiator Fan...

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Evening All - Started hearing a violent rattle coming from the front of my 97 GTS the other day. Looking under the hood I see the radiator fan is extremely loose. Pull it off and find the damn thing melted! Has this happened to anyone before? Looks like the fan motor bearings/shaft got so hot it melted the plastic around the bushing!

You must be registered for see images attach

The fan is not permanently fixed to the motor/shroud so it appears to be replaceable, but it doesn't look like the fan is sold by itself. I may need to get a new fan anyways, else I might melt the next fan as well.

Any recommendations? I'd like to get a stronger fan if one exists. Thanks!

Jason

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with the newer fan. Not sure what year they started, but somone else will chime in with the correct answer. The newer GEN 2 fan is centered and is more efficient, or so I've been told.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have a K&N cold air intake system installed, do you? I seem to remember a few of them that rubbed on the fan and caused some problems.

The new fan assembly is only a couple hundred bucks, and it's much improved over the original equipment. I have been meaning to replace mine for ages.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double check, but the new fan requires mounting studs in different locations than what is on the old fan.

I had a warranty replacement for the radiator, dealer could only supply new style, and they ended up giving me a new style fan to match. So Jason, PM me later, but I think I have an "old" style fan I'll sell for cheap and was working when I removed it.

Edit: I must have eBay-ed it, because I cannot find it. Hard to lose one, so hope I got a good price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.

Martin - Funny you ask that because I do happen to have a K&N kit installed, although I initially investigated that rubbing and didn't appear to be doing so. Could be wrong though. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Tom - Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it, depending on whether or not I can bolt in the newer fan without any issues.

Jason

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, while I didn't find the fan, I see I have one "new style" and one "old style" radiator.

Towards the engine side, on the lip of metal that the fan shroud attaches to, are 3-4 holes on top and bottom that the shroud attaching bolts use. The attaching bolts are really pointed self-starting threaded bolts. You can measure the locations of the new fan attaching holes and drill matching holes in the metal lip. I think you would only need to add 1 maybe 2 on the top row, maybe one on the bottom because some already line up. Since they aren't tapped, it is simple - just put a block of wood or metal between the fins and the lip so you don't run through and puncture anything. The self-starting bolts will do the rest.

You'll have to change over the connecting plug from the old fan. The new fan has the same color wires, but different shaped plug. The new fan really is much more effective. It will still turn on and off at the same temperatures, but the drop in temp when it does come on is very noticeably faster. In fact, when the engine runs hot, I can turn the AC on (forcing the fan to high speed) and it cools the engine.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom - Would it be possible for me to line up the new fan shroud with the radiator and drill new holes in the fan shroud to line up with the studs already there?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe if you hang the fan shroud in place with the bolts that do line up, you could. I think it depends on how much other stuff is in the way.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom - Would it be possible for me to line up the new fan shroud with the radiator and drill new holes in the fan shroud to line up with the studs already there?

Clarification: no studs in radiator or shroud. Shroud attaches to radiator lip with those large sheet metal bolts. Also, don't want to drill through the shroud; it is plastic and only has thickness (support) where the bolt goes through. So you want to drill holes in the radiator metal lip to line up with the holes in the plastic shroud. No greater difficulty than what you previously asked.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clarification: no studs in radiator or shroud. Shroud attaches to radiator lip with those large sheet metal bolts. Also, don't want to drill through the shroud; it is plastic and only has thickness (support) where the bolt goes through. So you want to drill holes in the radiator metal lip to line up with the holes in the plastic shroud. No greater difficulty than what you previously asked.

Are you referring to your radiator/shroud or mine? I'll have to post some pics, but on my car there are definitely studs attached to the radiator that the fan shroud attaches to. Couldn't tell you what thread size or pitch, but definitely no sheet metal bolts.

As for drilling, I'm not going anywhere near my radiator with a drill LOL! I just spent $500 getting it rebuilt. It's now a triple core radiator, and its been great now for about 4 months. Since its a triple core, the fins run right behind that lip.

I decided to order a new fan shroud. Got it from X2 for $292 shipped, a great deal compared to other options.

Jason

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, ok, saw that poll LOL! My Viper isn't a DD, only put about 12k on it in the last 3 years. I am however worried about my K&N air filter box possibly being the cause of the fan blade melting. I'll have to watch that very closely.

I hope I get to meet you one day Dave. You sem like someone we can always count on for a good wise crack. Are you retired or something? I only ask because you are in every thread on this forum LOL! Got any hobbies besides forum posting ;) J/K!

DD = Daily Driver ;)

Anything to rib Tom about on his quest for the DD poll. Which I have really yet to comprehend his motive hear. I think he's planning some kind of takeover or something. As long as he makes the announcement at a ******'s I suppose it's all good though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery