OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Alen, how's the snow piling up
supergrin.gif
? I had a great couple of days at the track last week.

SSpeed Racer and I are a "team" in the OTC competition although I may contibute a little next year unlike last year.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen I do thank you for your insight.
laughing2[1].gif
But I think its going to take more than PRACTICE to get rebell to stick to my bumper!!!(just kidding)

Im still curious how Viper Days is going to handle this. It does not effect east coast guys because there will still be snow on the ground in March. But our first event is in January. I can see all the VRL driver on the track on street tires!!!

You know this year no "Hoosiers"....Daddy will be allowed at the track because of Michelin.....so that means YOU!!!!

Happy Holidays!!!!

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an e-mail I got from Michelin about the Sport cup tires..........

The folks at Michelin have been out of the office on annual business
meetings, and have just now had a chance to follow up on this request.

Pilot Sport Cup tires in sizes for the Viper should be available for
sale sometime around March or April of 2003. Sizes will be: 315/30ZR18
(98Y)
345/30ZR18 (104Y)

Well OK.......

How is this going to effect the Modified classes and Unlimited Classes in 2003? What tires are we going to run?

I cant imagine unlimited and modified classes running on Stock Michelins!! Or in that case the Viper racing League or the Comp Coupe cars running on good ole stock tires!!!

What options do we have??

Just my 2 cents

John Dearing

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a free set & tested them @ road atlanta a couple months ago & posted the results here.search for the post for more specifics. They were for my porsche & I will check my trailer for the treadwear tonite & post.

My observations & since they were released to Porsche Sizes first, the PCA club racers has a (relitively) a lot of miles on em.

1) Drivers ed guys swear buy them, the racers swear at them.

2) Unshaven, forget it

3) they like low low pressures

4) They run small, IE) a 245 Cup = 225 hoosier tread width

5) Unshaven they last forever, so they make a good novice tire

6) I tested unshaven & although after experimenting with hot pressures, we did get the lap times down to Khumo levels but it was a scary ride. It took me all day to get the confidence to go flat in a few places that , normally on street pilots, I wouldnt think twice. The low tire pressures made for sidewall flex & a weird sensation on turn in, once hot the would stick.

7)tested on a 2700 lb car with 200 HP, Maybee the vipers weight & hp will allow a higer starting pressure & less sidewall flex

8)I stuck with the hoosiers & are using the cup for interm. rain tires.

9) The guys I know who like them say it takes 5 laps or so to come in

10) none of the fast guys in our last 3 club races used them,(VIR, Carolina, Roebling) the winners all had hoosiers.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great reply and all the info. I'm REALLY interested in the treadwear rating as the lowest we can run at OTC is 140. Hopefully they will be available by April 6th (start date). Since you've had experience with these tires do you think they will last for 7 track days? 4 sessions a day, track only we'd put the pilots on to drive between tracks.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I did 550 miles total over 3 separate days & they look brand new. Again they were unshaven. When I get home tonite I will check the tread wear rating for you.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got to run a set of Michelin Cup tires on Phil Goglias' Viper at the finals (Texas World). Once I got the air pressure right (34lbs hot) I thought they performed as well as Hoosiers. I really liked that they seemed to give more notice than Hoosiers before letting go. The treadwear rating is 80.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the treadwear is 80, On our low powered race car they were almost 1.7 seconds slower then the hoosiers @ R/A

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been in contact with Skip over the past few months regarding the tire status for unlimited class as the allowed tires have been changed each year the last few years. 2001 unlimited could run Goodyear slicks. 2002 no Goodyears but Hoosiers. 2003 looks like only Michelin DOTs. The bummer is each requires a different rear wheel size (Purner - are you behind this?
smile.gif
) and a different chassis set up. Here is the latest reply from Skip on 11/11/2002:

"Mike,
The Michelin Challenge Series will be for Michelin DOT tires
exclusively. Either the Pilots or new Cups. We are awaiting pricing and availability. I have forward this to Brian from Michelin for his knowledge.
See you in 80 days!!!
Skip"

I feel sorry for the guys who buy Comp Coupes to run in unlimited and have to run a different height street tire on their race car or not score points / get to go to finals.

Everyone have a happy and safe holiday!

Regards,

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the Unlimited / Comp Coupes will be its own class and will run like they were delivered - i.e. with the new Hoosier race tire - NOT a Michelin. This will be the only exception to a Michelin tire in the Challenge Series.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine