Might trade 09 Vette on 97 GTS. Opinion...

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks good, red with the gold wheels though is not my thing, but I know it is easy to get different wheels. The price is good and is apparently not set in stone. Are you close to where the car is? You should have someone with Viper experience take a look at it if possible as well.

It will be quicker than the Vette but not as much of a daily driver......and it will be a lot more fun. Believe me.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a nice Vette, but I would obviously go with the Viper. I'm at work so I can't look at the link you posted. What are the specs on the Viper available on eBay? Would it have to be that specific Viper anyways?

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks good, red with the gold wheels though is not my thing, but I know it is easy to get different wheels. The price is good and is apparently not set in stone. Are you close to where the car is? You should have someone with Viper experience take a look at it if possible as well.

It will be quicker than the Vette but not as much of a daily driver......and it will be a lot more fun. Believe me.

I doubt it would be much quicker, my car makes 425rwhp now with headers, airbox, and tune. I dont daily drive the car, its just a weekend toy, so thats not much of an issue. The car is in OH, I am out by Philadelphia PA, so its a bit of a hike.

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a nice Vette, but I would obviously go with the Viper. I'm at work so I can't look at the link you posted. What are the specs on the Viper available on eBay? Would it have to be that specific Viper anyways?

The Viper on ebay is a 1997 GTS. Red with the gold wheels (1 of 7 I beleive). It has 22,000 Miles and they are looking for $35,900, but it looks like the price is not set in stone at all. It wouldnt have to be this Viper at all. Just looking for a lower mileage GTS to have some fun with.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many variables...

Tell us more about what you will be using the car for? The vette is more comfortable, easier to get in / out of, more creature comforts, better gas mileage, etc...

The looks and attention you get from a GTS are 2nd to none. I went from a 2006 LS2 w/ forged motor and Maggnusson blower to a 2001 Yellow GTS. The cars are very different and both very enjoyable in their own rights. Test drive one and see what you think...

(I don't like the gold wheels on the car you are looking at)

I have had people pull a u-turn to follow me, talk to me at gas stations, pull out camera phones for pics, etc... I like the GTS a lot more than I thought that I would (4 vettes in the past).

You must be registered for see images attach

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper on ebay is a 1997 GTS. Red with the gold wheels (1 of 7 I beleive). It has 22,000 Miles and they are looking for $35,900, but it looks like the price is not set in stone at all. It wouldnt have to be this Viper at all. Just looking for a lower mileage GTS to have some fun with.

Oh I see..

Well for starters, your right.. there were only 7 red vipers in 97 with gold wheels. However, if you don't like the gold wheels, then being 1 of 7 doesn't really matter(Gold wheels look horrible in my opinion anyway). I personally wouldn't buy a red GTS, have you looked on the classifieds through the VCA? There are several Vipers for sale for around the 35-40k range.

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I see..

Well for starters, your right.. there were only 7 red vipers in 97 with gold wheels. However, if you don't like the gold wheels, then being 1 of 7 doesn't really matter(Gold wheels look horrible in my opinion anyway). I personally wouldn't buy a red GTS, have you looked on the classifieds through the VCA? There are several Vipers for sale for around the 35-40k range.

I owe 25k on the vette now, so I figured it would be easier to trade it in at a dealer. Im not a fan of the gold wheels. But i would just keep them and switch to something else, so thats not a deal breaker for me.

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many variables...

Tell us more about what you will be using the car for? The vette is more comfortable, easier to get in / out of, more creature comforts, better gas mileage, etc...

The looks and attention you get from a GTS are 2nd to none. I went from a 2006 LS2 w/ forged motor and Maggnusson blower to a 2001 Yellow GTS. The cars are very different and both very enjoyable in their own rights. Test drive one and see what you think...

(I don't like the gold wheels on the car you are looking at)

I have had people pull a u-turn to follow me, talk to me at gas stations, pull out camera phones for pics, etc... I like the GTS a lot more than I thought that I would (4 vettes in the past).

Im not a huge fan of the gold wheels either, but that can easily be changed. Im just not sure about going from a new car with 1500 miles to a 97 with 22,000 miles. The car will just be used as a weekend toy. I had a Turbo Mustang that went 8.17 @ 172 and was still street driven, so I really dont need the creature comforts much.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not a huge fan of the gold wheels either, but that can easily be changed. Im just not sure about going from a new car with 1500 miles to a 97 with 22,000 miles. The car will just be used as a weekend toy. I had a Turbo Mustang that went 8.17 @ 172 and was still street driven, so I really dont need the creature comforts much.

You kinda answered your own question really. If it's just a weekend toy, then miles shouldn't matter completely. I look at "exclusiveness" if you really want something unique, fun and exciting then get the Viper. If this dealer is close to you, I would go there asap and test drive it. Once you do I'm sure you will be impressed. However, one thing I have known some people to HATE about the early GEN Vipers is the fact that there is no dead pedal space. It sounds like that wouldn't be an issue to you, but in case you didn't know that I just figured I'd throw that out there since you will immediately realize it when your sitting in the car of course. I could care less since i just rest my leg against the door or slide my foot under the clutch when cruising. :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine a scenario where you won't lose BIG somehow with a Dealer as opposed to just selling the Vette and Buying the Viper of your choice. I think you have the right destinantion in mind but there are better roads to get there.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Vette,but if I was walking on the street and you passed me I wouldn't look twice. I f you passed me with the Viper you'd get my attention for sure !!!!

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a '97 there are a lot of things to consider. (Motor mounts okay? How's the power steering pulley? Quite a few other issues you probably have searched on already).

I love mine and enjoyed it even before I put the blower on it. Add me to the change the gold rims but keep them in the garage list.

Good luck. :2tu:

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You kinda answered your own question really. If it's just a weekend toy, then miles shouldn't matter completely. I look at "exclusiveness" if you really want something unique, fun and exciting then get the Viper. If this dealer is close to you, I would go there asap and test drive it. Once you do I'm sure you will be impressed. However, one thing I have known some people to HATE about the early GEN Vipers is the fact that there is no dead pedal space. It sounds like that wouldn't be an issue to you, but in case you didn't know that I just figured I'd throw that out there since you will immediately realize it when your sitting in the car of course. I could care less since i just rest my leg against the door or slide my foot under the clutch when cruising. :)

Its about a 7 hour ride for me to go and see this car and test drive it. So, I definitly want to make sure I am ready to buy if I go out there. I didnt know about the lack of dead pedal space. Thats good to know, thanks for sharing! :2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its about a 7 hour ride for me to go and see this car and test drive it. So, I definitly want to make sure I am ready to buy if I go out there. I didnt know about the lack of dead pedal space. Thats good to know, thanks for sharing! :2tu:

Hey, not a problem man. Wow.... 7 hours is pretty far. I had my car shipped from Detroit, I actually had a VCA member local to where my car was located go check it out for me. Would you be flying out there and driving it back if you bought it?

Oh yea, another specific thing about the early GEN Vipers if you do in fact buy one and don't know much about it.. This has nothing to do with the actual "test drive", but.. by any chance do you know anything about the location of the battery? :smirk: If not, you will be quite surprised haha.

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, not a problem man. Wow.... 7 hours is pretty far. I had my car shipped from Detroit, I actually had a VCA member local to where my car was located go check it out for me. Would you be flying out there and driving it back if you bought it?

Oh yea, another specific thing about the early GEN Vipers if you do in fact buy one and don't know much about it.. This has nothing to do with the actual "test drive", but.. by any chance do you know anything about the location of the battery? :smirk: If not, you will be quite surprised haha.

I would be driving out there, because I would be trading in my vette. No, Im not sure where the battery is...LOL

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The interior of the GTS is similar in size to a C4 vette... a little snug, but I think it adds to the experience. I would see if you can test drive or get a ride in a GTS local to you and go from there.

A friend of mine let me drive his GTS - and it wasn't nearly as bad and uncomfortable as I have heard from some.

Had my car shipped from AZ sight unseen...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did you buy the vette?
if you like the Viper better, why didnt you just get it in the first place?

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did you buy the vette?
if you like the Viper better, why didnt you just get it in the first place?

I change cars all the time. I wanted a vette at the time, so I got a vette.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it would be much quicker, my car makes 425rwhp now with headers, airbox, and tune.

with similar mods a gen2 Viper can put down 460whp/500tq
it will feal more powerfull in the lower rpm's, we call it Balls.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change cars all the time. I wanted a vette at the time, so I got a vette.

I do the same... I would try it out for a little while and then sell it once you want something else.

I think you are going to take a bath trading in your car...what do you think the dealer is going to give you? I'm sure they'd like to trade you straight up. :crazy2:

I think the 97 GTS w/ 22k miles is priced a little high and lower $30's is a fair price IMHO. Have you thought about selling your car on Autotrader or the Corvette Forum?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, not saying to waste anyone's time, but if you can find a Viper that is somewhat local that you could possibly test drive, maybe one that you could actually consider buying if the deal was right, I would definitely think about doing that. I think you are better off selling the Vette and buying a Viper personally rather then a trade in, but either way, I would really consider test driving one if it's possible before actually driving 7 hours to go test drive one in case you don't like it.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured it out. I googled it. :D

haha, I was gonna say- instead of telling you, I was just gonna show you...lol

Here is a picture I took on my blackberry from last month when I had to get at the battery ;)

You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have a huge amount of ex-vette guys on the forums and in the VCA. Interesting that you havn't driven a Viper yet - it'll be a pleasant surprise for you. Have an engine built and a TT kit if you're wanting to go 8s in a street car again. We have a couple members going 7s in their street TT Vipers. There is a huge amount of 9 second Vipers (like the 2 I own) that get driven constantly.

Get the Viper, join the club and sign up for Viper Owner's Invitational 11 in Salt Lake City for Sept30-oct4 for a really truely amazing event.

Good luck to you.

Ted

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only have one comment: If you do decide to trade, make sure you get the Viper inspected first.

Rev

And check the car fax records too!

I called Chuck Tator with the VIN numbers for some Vipers I was checking out before I bought mine. He basically has the "bible" for Vipers and can tell you the history on it before you make the move to buy.

OP
OP
W

wazslow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same... I would try it out for a little while and then sell it once you want something else.

I think you are going to take a bath trading in your car...what do you think the dealer is going to give you? I'm sure they'd like to trade you straight up. :crazy2:

I think the 97 GTS w/ 22k miles is priced a little high and lower $30's is a fair price IMHO. Have you thought about selling your car on Autotrader or the Corvette Forum?

Yea, I hear you. Im not going to trade straight up. My car had a $62,*** MSRP and is only a year old. I think I may be able to get this Viper in the $33,000 range, but Im not sure what they will give me for my car...

The dealer with the Red GTS is giving me rough prices tonight without seeing my car obviously I wont be able to get an exact price. At least I will be able to see if Im in the ballpark.