Mopar Accessory Question

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to radio controls; yes to cruise (but put it on the blinker or something, not the wheel).

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes to cruise, no to radio. I do think the radio controls are great on other cars, but don't see the point on the SRT.

Yes to floor mats, yes to trunk carpet.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes to both.

I would also like to see a Homelink system in the visor or mirror. Since I like most others in the Viper Nation have garage openers, this would be a terrific feature to add.

Having an autodim mirror that tells me when the outside temperature is near freezing is a safety feature in my mind. Should be standard IMO, along with floor mats & trunk liner.

Then get the Viper reclassified as a truck so I can write off that guzzler tax... :D

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes to cruise, no to radio. Cruise would benefit those of us who suffer with back problems in that we could change positions for more comfort. And how about a battery shut off switch so we don't have to charge our batteries so often while in storage. Sorry Daffy, I just had to add one!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Daffy, I just had to add one!

Heh-heh. Hey there, Dave, well you heard what Rick said: "...I was looking for yes or no answers but the additional information is interesting and I consider useful feedback." So, I guess as long as everyone answers YES or NO to the cruise control and steering wheel, the door's wide open for other suggestions since Rick will consider it useful feedback. So that's great news! :laugh:

You must be registered for see images

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Navigation system heads-up display with shiatsu ben-wa seat heaters! On second thought, that would make it a Vette.....doh!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I think the cruise is a good idea, but the audio controls are not important to me. I've got 1700 miles on my SRT-10, and have yet to use the disc player or radio. Thanks for asking !!

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... And how about a battery shut off switch so we don't have to charge our batteries so often while in storage...

RTFM* people- there is one already. There is a "hibernate" mode that turns off the computer, keyfob receiver, etc. and has made a significant difference in how often a recharge is needed. It involves an odd incantation of the ignition key and door locks, but it works.

*RTFM: Read The Friendly Manual

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't read every post, but to overview-
I'm not looking into buying an SRT, only a Gen 1 or 2 in the future (not looking near right now). For me personally I'd say no to both. Cruise control for me dulls driving, and induces sleep and unawareness personally. I wouldn't care for steering wheel radio buttons because I'm so used to standard controls and I would never/rarely have the radio on in a Viper. You may be able to offer these as options to new-car-buyers, as long as they're cost effective.
If you're looking at keeping the true-Viper enthusiasts happy and keeping with the "muscle car type" of the past Vipers, keep asking this website. For me, an enthusiast, I want my Viper as bare bones true-to-form as possible.
Thank you for asking!

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, am aware of the hibermate feature for the 03 SRT but the Gen I and II's don't have this. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm weary of charging four batteries once a month for 8 months in good ole Michigan. Would appreciate anyone's input on a good reliable battery tender. Sorry, I know I am off topic but you guys are great for info.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I mounted a battery tender just under the battery connection location under the hood. Allows me to plug in the tender without opening the hood. Always there and available. I don't know the brand off hand but I picked it up at Murrays. Just make sure it is one that maintains the battery voltage and not a trickle charger (providing a steady low amperage charge as this will boil over your battery).

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to cruise control
No to radio controls
These are "would be nice" features for a few, but are certainly not necessary and move the car closer towards a gizmo-laden Vette.

BIG Yes to 200lbs off the curb weight (And no to anything that adds weight).

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cruise.
No steering wheel radio controls.

The car's already become too Vette looking on the outside. My initial thought is to try to keep gadgetry to a functional/safety/performance level. (Still perplexed at the idea of the vertical stack of gauges)

On the other hand some useful improvements: Bring back adjustable lumbar (guess I won't start my hunt under the seat wondering where the inflation bulb is), shorten the too-easy-to-accidentally-activate wiper stalk, delete the gas cap tether, and, if you bother to put a radio in the car, please include better speakers and a cleaner sounding radio head unit (note to Russ--my SRT's overall sound system is better than my GTS' but I agree, the SRT's mid range is very weak. Also, the bass doesn't cause any vibration in my car but, like XM's satellite system in my SUV, the low end suffers from awful, muddy, probably intentional coloration--likely some non-music oriented marketing person trying to please 17 year old Joe Bazooka-head who never has heard live music and somehow thinks nasty booming thumping is accurate sound reproduction. (Kudos to Lexus for making a strong effort with the Mark Levinson sound series...not that an ML system should ever be considered for a Viper.) Whoah, I'm almost officially off topic...so, let me add on a more important positive note, THANK YOU Dodge for the incredible handling and braking you've bestowed on our SRT beasts!

FANGS/Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big yes on the cruise, It'll keep me from driving at the speed the the SRT-10 wants to be at(about 90)and keep me out of trouble. I don't really understand why it would matter to anyone if it was there cause you don't have to use it if you don't like it! The radio controls, not really interested in them, but not against them.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

No and no to your questions.

Since you cover accessories, there are a couple of options that would make this car safer and more desirable to a good segment of your customer base: 5-point seatbelts and a decent roll-bar. The roll-hoops could be removable to add a roll-bar with more height; maybe even a two-piece T-bar that runs forward to the front console/dash area. Sure, there are lots of aftermarket opportunities for these accessories, but for an expensive car like the Viper, it makes it that much more difficult to sell if they have been mucked around with too much. As factory options, they would bring validity and help maintain resale value. Further, these add to the mystique and identity of the car and its clientele.

Last year the Boston Globe did an interview with Viper creator, Bob Lutz. It showed a picture of him standing next to his car collection with a churchill-sized cigar. They asked the ex-fighter pilot why, at 75, he wasn’t yet thinking about retirement. He responded, “I’m not the type you’d find on a golf course unless I just landed my helicopter there.” That says a lot about this car and most people who own it. Whether DC likes it or not, many that buy this car "do" have “a set” and "do" plan to track and drag their cars on occasion. Build on that segment, capitalize on your success, and it will bring you greater success!

And while we’re at it........about that nice traction control system that Daimler-Benz has yet to lend us??? :)

Now back to vacation.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes to cruise on Gen II. No hijack intended, but like others those 400 to 500 mile trips kill my right foot.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice that you are asking these questions!

I don't really need cruise control - I like the creature comforts of my Z06, but I don't even know if it has Cruise control? If it does, I have never used it. The Radio buttons would be nice, as would the automatic volume control.

What many of us really want is a toned down, street legal "race car". That is what most of us current Viper owners bought or thought we bought. With the SRT,
it is a great car, but since we really can't even take it to the race track due to the convertible top, it's a Viper with an Identity crisis.

Does anyone at DC remember the New Coke / Classic Coke situation? 50% of the current Viper owners had been buying the coupe and now that is not possible. So 50% of the Viper community has to now settle for the convertible, buy something else, or keep what they have. None of these options are great for customer satisfaction or brand loyalty.

Make a coupe with 550 HP and shave 100 pounds or so from it and watch out! Oh and please tell them Yellow would be a nice touch :)

As for accessories, a light weight stainless cat back with cool polished tips would be nice.

2charmed

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about replacing the "hoops" with a roll bar that actually functions as one? What is the purpose of the hoops? Some sort of decoration? I thought for the price I paid for my SRT that it should have had a functional roll bar - and floor mats, and a trunk liner...

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And when you pay the big bucks for that trunk liner, it would be nice if the required Velcro pieces are actually included!

I must say Dodge means well. I was missing ONE velco piece, and they sent me a COMPLETE new trunk kit.

ALSO, Dodge, while you're messing with the steering wheel, put some paddle shifters on there.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there must be a better way to keep the trunk liner in place as the Velcro does not work the best.

OP
OP

3wide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

In response to the missing velcor, this message board brought this to my attention earlier in the year. We've addressed the issue with our supplier and I posted the following on 3/7/03 regarding missing velcro:
"Attention Viper Owners:

Having seen numerous posts regarding missing components in the Mopar Trunk Mat Kit, I have contacted our supplier and launched an investigation. We did quarantine all kits that were in transit and stocked at our depots. All kits in our control are being inspected. In the event that you received a kit with missing components, I would like you to contact our suppliers customer service number 800-356-5666 (beginning 3/31/03) for resolution to your situation.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Any questions, please post and I will get back to you."

Please contact that number for resolution.

-Rick Berecz
Product Line Manager
Mopar Parts

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes and Yes.

The steering wheel radio controls keep your hands on the wheel instead of trying to read the diplay in the sun (almost impossible with polarized sunglasses). This ain't *****, it's safety.

Same for the cruise if you want it as an option. It's mighty easy to have the speedo read 15 over while your trying to see the radio display in order to select a loaded CD.

Stone chip film is a must. 3,500 miles om my ODO and the Silver is getting SANDBLASTED behind the front tires!

The optional "Rollbar" would have been a great offering from the beginning.

Thanks,

Jim

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, reading radio displays with polarized sunglasses shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that having polarized glasses does is cut sun glare and shine. Your sunglasses just may be really dark. You can purchase perscription and non-perscription polarized sunglasses with lighter or darker tint depending on your personal preference. Just head to any perscription glasses store.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up from a former optical lab tech.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vote is yes on the cruise control and no on radio controls. Put a better radio/cd unit and speakers in the car(or design the radio box to be adaptable to aftermarket items). By the way put my order in for the next street coupe. Make the floor mats and trunk mats standard. Put 3M clear plastic sill protection. On my next vacation, my car in going in to repaint the sills since the rocks here in Arizona have pocked up my sills to a significant extent.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the second post but after reviewing all the posts on this topic and considering a previous topic addressed to viper owners and the number of Dodge vehicles they have owned, I think the best option Dodge/Mopar can provide is the next generation street coupe. Fifty percent of viper owners or more are waiting for this car. I love the handling of my SRT but there are days I really miss my coupe and the longer Dodge delays in introducing the coupe, the more the market share will shrink as viper owners look for alternatives.