Mopar Filter Difference

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:Just picked up a Mopar oil filter from Dodge #5281090 @ $7.70; After I got home I remembered seeing different threads concerning filter quality, got to searching and found a thread recommending Viper Mopar oil filter #5037836AA. Called the dealer asking for that number, was told there were none in stock in the state and they sold for $12 & change. Saw a picture somewhere of a oil filter that had Viper on it. Is that the one, and is there a difference in the two filters performance? The dealer told me it was not listed as a performance part.:confused:

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Viper filter does have a black Viper logo stamped on it. I have installed the new filter on 4 0f my Gen-2 Vipers and noticed a increase in oil pressure on all 4 cars. Call Chuck Tator for a new filter. I have purchased a couple dozen from Chuck.:usa:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this really a proven fact?
is that the only filter that will increase oil press.?
how does it do that?

OP
OP
O

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way for an oil filter to increase oil pressure is for it to decrease oil flow by resistance, ie. less surface area of filtration material, or filtration material that just doesn't allow oil to ********* as easily (which may or may not effect filtration ability and results). Or, possibly basic design of the filter could do it, but it appears to me that most oil filters have pretty much the same design. Comments-knowledge appreciated.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I believe high-flowing filters will increase your oil pressure a bit. I'm not sure where the oil pressure sensor is on the Gen !V cars, but I'd suspect it is after the filter - and more flow through the filter means more pressure as the oil is trying to get through oil channels and bearings.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change mine afer every track day or at 1000 miles. It probably doesn't matter what filter you use if changed often.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
REMEMBER THIS POST from Mark supporting the use of VIPER SPECIFIC OIL FILTERS:

"The K&N and Mobil filters are to fine a filter and will generally go into bypass before the regular filters. This is not a good thing when you are relying on clean oil for the Viper. The factory filters are designed for our cars by people who care about the Viper so just trust the factory filters. IMHO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and, from Steve-Indy:

"Gens I, II, and III all use the above mentioned Mopar 05037836AA

while the Gen IV uses Mopar 05038041AA.

As JonB always says "the year matters"."

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new Viper filter does have a black Viper logo stamped on it. I have installed the new filter on 4 0f my Gen-2 Vipers and noticed a increase in oil pressure on all 4 cars. Call Chuck Tator for a new filter. I have purchased a couple dozen from Chuck.:usa:

Just went to the local dealer trying to find this filter and it looks as though it's discontinued (according to the parts girl). Does anyone happen to have a part # for this filter with the Viper logo on it? Still offered? Mahalo!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
EFI-1, I'm not sure what year Viper you have...as JonB says "the year matters"!!

1992-2006 part number 05037836AA

2008-2010 part number 05038041AA

Hope this helps!!

Suggest you skip "local" and order filters from JonB, Chuck Tator, or Woodhouse!!!!!

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
EFI-1, I'm not sure what year Viper you have...as JonB says "the year matters"!!

1992-2006 part number 05037836AA

2008-2010 part number 05038041AA

Hope this helps!!

Suggest you skip "local" and order filters from JonB, Chuck Tator, or Woodhouse!!!!!

Got a 97 and I agree....Gonna have to place an order with one of the forum vendors. Thank you Steve!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Anytime!!

Here is a post worth reading regarding these Viper specific filters:
"From the SRT Engineers:
The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new 22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the same characteristics.
We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the best features. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended up developing the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (it is different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when we developed it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is the biggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens it allows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element in order to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have a higher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to your powerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brands out there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick ones failed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very
fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (and just about every other filter out there). The final result was clean oil to your Snake, all the time, with more pressure to the internals where it is needed. I would fully recommend using this filter in your beast, I do in mine. Hope this info helps. KCC"

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, very informative thread Steve. I had read (searched threads) about that issue and it seems valid. I'm glad I asked about this. Your input definitely justifies me going through the extra work to find the right filter. You happen to frequent bobistheoilguy.com?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad you liked the thread from the SRT Egineers!!

And, yes, I do visit booistheoilguy.com...but, as on this board, it takes a little while to sort fact from speculation.

The Viper Nation has a bunch of knowledgeable, passionate, capable, and sharing people
from whom many of us have been "schooled up" over time. These folks generally know the correct answers...or will the search for said answers by doing whatever it takes!!!

Enjoy that Viper!!!

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went to the Dodge dealer to get an oil filter for my '01 GTS. I was a little surprised at the price and asked the guy to recheck the part number. It was MO-090 and he said it was specifically for the Viper and a few other models.

They were only $5.00, so I'm a little hesitant ... any input on this model of filter?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD: white in color, black printing, Viper logo, 5 big holes on top.

NOT GOOD: black in color, white printing, Mopar logo, 8 small holes on top.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD: white in color, black printing, Viper logo, 5 big holes on top.

NOT GOOD: black in color, white printing, Mopar logo, 8 small holes on top.

What was the concensus, is the filter still being made?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy vwiper bought quite a few at Vegas VOI and he donated one to me. I felt it was only appropriate to instal it tonight while doing my oil change for VOI 11. White with Black Viper and the logo on it. I used Penzoil this oil change as it seems that my new Mobile 1 "cheapo" doesn't say "Full Synthetic" on it anywhere. Guess Mobile is selling Group 2 oils at double the price because people ASSUME that Mobile 1 is only Synthetic still? Now that it's merely another EXXON oil I don't assume and have switched.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 4 quart jugs I bought 3 months ago say fully synthetic, I'll keep a close watch when I get more in the future, thanks!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The correct Gen 4 filters say "SRT" on them not "Viper". Pre-Gen 4 filters say "Viper". At least that is what mine say. I have both which I purchased from Chuck Tator.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevan, this goes for SRT10 Ram's as well??!! To take the old saying about oil filters...."you can pay me now or pay me a lot more later !!"