Most idiotic and unreasonable front plate ticket

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received the most idiotic front plate ticket ever and just have to vent.

Got out of the Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles to find a ticket on my windshield. What in the world could I get a parking ticket for? Although i was parked in a Yellow Loading Zone, I parked there well after 6 pm which means it's alright to park there. Upon looking at the ticket, I received it for "NO FRONT PLATE DISPLAYED."

What makes this ticket so idiotic is that my Viper is a little over a month old so I am yet to receive my plates from the DMV. How I get a ticket for no front plates when I have no plates at all? It's completely obvious that my Viper is new as the dealer's advertising placard is at the rear plate location and the paper registration that the dealer gives to recently purchased vehicles was taped in the passenger's side windshield as it should be.

It's so infuriating knowing that the meter maid gave this ticket maliciously. I don't know how they could have possibly justified to themselves giving this ticket. ARRGHHH!!!

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jealousy. Don't let it get to you, or their little scheme worked. Instead, take it straight to court with notorised evidence that you did not have plates yet at that date. Go for legal costs because it's such a stupid claim on the city's behalf. Then, find that person's boss and try to get them in trouble.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some people need to get a life or go and do something productive.
This ticketing for no front plate really p!sses me off.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats how they make the money to buy the DOZENS of doughnuts that their A$$ess eat all day. Then when I real crime does happen, they are to FAT to chase the [******] because they spent so much time eating and writing up dumba$$ tickets.

Austin

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought here...

Let's say, as you were inside that someone saw the ticket and ripped it off your windshield.

Or it blew away in the wind.

Or a crazy bird saw it and decided to pluck it from your wiper.

See what I'm getting at?

If they don't hand that sucker to you personally, how can they prove that you actually received it? Well, other than you posting here about it of course. ;)

I'm serious though - the other night I was parking the Lightning at the movies and it always gets a lot of attention from the men in blue - very loud, Friday night, etc...anyhow, cops always patrol this particular theater like crazy and as I walked away, sure enough, 2 of them head over to circle the L...looked like sharks responding to chum in the water. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I was half expecting to have an exhaust/no front plate ticket when I came out. I didn't, but I planned on pretty much making sure that it blew away in the wind.

If they can't verify that you actually received the ticket, it's BS.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought here...

Let's say, as you were inside that someone saw the ticket and ripped it off your windshield.

See what I'm getting at?

If they don't hand that sucker to you personally, how can they prove that you actually received it? Well, other than you posting here about it of course. ;)

I'm serious though - the other night I was parking the Lightning at the movies and it always gets a lot of attention from the men in blue - very loud, Friday night, etc...anyhow, cops always patrol this particular theater like crazy and as I walked away, sure enough, 2 of them head over to circle the L...looked like sharks responding to chum in the water. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I was half expecting to have an exhaust/no front plate ticket when I came out. I didn't, but I planned on pretty much making sure that it blew away in the wind.

Obviously that doesn't work, seeing as how parking tickets are still given out to this day...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't ignore it, it will catch up to you some day.
I think if you drop in at the local police station, the one where the writer works, and talk to the desk seargent, show him the car, you might get the ticket torn up.
I wouldn't bring donuts, they watch the Simpsons too you know.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good point slaughter...but I wonder with something as rare as a "no front plate" ticket being issued if they'd even notice/care this one instance.

Speaking of parking tickets, what's keeping other folks from just ripping them all of the windshields, leaving the owners oblivious to their "crimes" later on? I mean, you can only take care of what you know happened - if you never received a ticket because someone messed with it, how far can they stick it to ya?

Plausible deniability...

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a thought here...

See what I'm getting at?

Won't work like that in California.. They send you the ticket in the mail if your don't respond, and if you choose to ignore that, your fine goes up and you can't renew your registration till it is paid.. The "I didn't know i got a ticket" exscuse will not work at the DMV.. They'll say too bad, deal with the police agency, but we won't issue you new registration till you pay it.
Those parking meter maids that hit up the parking lots looking for infractions like that are definitely the bottom of the barrel dirtbags :(

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those parking meter maids that hit up the parking lots looking for infractions
like that are definitely the bottom of the barrel dirtbags
They aren't even real cops, at least in San Diego, that's why they have such a chip on their shoulders.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Won't work like that in California.. They send you the ticket in the mail if your don't respond, and if you choose to ignore that, your fine goes up and you can't renew your registration till it is paid.. The "I didn't know i got a ticket" exscuse will not work at the DMV.. They'll say too bad, deal with the police agency, but we won't issue you new registration till you pay it.
Those parking meter maids that hit up the parking lots looking for infractions like that are definitely the bottom of the barrel dirtbags :(

[/QUOTE]

Only the stupid law enforcement angency would actually rely on the postal service to dispense something so important. The one angency that may be more incomp. than the cops... The must not realise the amount of mail the post office loose every year on people.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Total BS. If the car is new in CA, your temp registration should be on the windsheild and the meter maid should have seen that. No question that the ticket is BS. Fight it.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how CA traffic laws work but in AZ there are only a handfull of tickets that can be handed out in a private property (I'm assuming you were parked in a private property?) and no front, or ANY for that matter, license plate is NOT one of them. A car doesn't have to have a license plate, or even be registered to be parked in a private property.

Got out of the Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles to find a ticket on my windshield. What in the world could I get a parking ticket for? Although i was parked in a Yellow Loading Zone, I parked there well after 6 pm which means it's alright to park there. Upon looking at the ticket, I received it for "NO FRONT PLATE DISPLAYED."

What makes this ticket so idiotic is that my Viper is a little over a month old so I am yet to receive my plates from the DMV. How I get a ticket for no front plates when I have no plates at all? It's completely obvious that my Viper is new as the dealer's advertising placard is at the rear plate location and the paper registration that the dealer gives to recently purchased vehicles was taped in the passenger's side windshield as it should be.

It's so infuriating knowing that the meter maid gave this ticket maliciously. I don't know how they could have possibly justified to themselves giving this ticket. ARRGHHH!!!

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure how CA traffic laws work but in AZ there are only a handfull of tickets that can be handed out in a private property (I'm assuming you were parked in a private property?) and no front, or ANY for that matter, license plate is NOT one of them. A car doesn't have to have a license plate, or even be registered to be parked in a private property.

In California if the Private property is open to the public use ie: parking lots for the movies, businesses etc.. the vehicle code can be enforced thus the meter maids can descend and ticket you for such things as no front plates. Pretty [******] lame in my opinion. There currently isn't a better medium other than the postal service to deliver the tickets via mail and i think they send out a couple of copies to you if you continue not to pay or contest the ticket.. in any case you will end up having to fight it or pay it when DMV renewal times comes along.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meter Maid, can't they only give "parking tickets"?
Here in VA you have to be "moving" to get one.

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so what would they do if you have a dealer plate? most dealers just stick them the rear of the car, and take them with them when they go in (people tend to steal the plates), so there would be no plates at all on the car. kinda strage that they would nail you for such a thing in a parkinglot.

OP
OP

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have understood if I got a NO FRONT PLATE ticket if I had already received my plates since it's just one of the acceptable annoyances of owning a Viper, but this is ridiculous. I have to waste my time and go to court which in turns makes me lose more money than actually paying the ticket itself.

Again to illustrate the point that the meter maid gave the ticket maliciously, on the ticket, the License number box is blank but the VIN box is filled in. Why not just give me a NO PLATES ticket? Obviously, because it's a new car!!! Wouldn't the same logic as to the reason for not giving me a NO PLATES ticket apply to a NO FRONT PLATES ticket? Go figure.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's definitely a stupid ticket issued by some jealous civil servant, sucking off our public taxes.

But it's a REALLY easy fix-it ticket that you can get signed off at any local police station, with no associated costs.

If they want to levy a fine, then I'd take it to court, but it's usually very easy to have a cop sign it off.

But if you ignore it, then they WIN, as the ticket often gets worse. Infractions become failure-to-appear misdemeanors, and the fines can become outrageous.

At one point when I was fighting a ticket in court, (bored) I counted up the extra late fees from people who let tickets go, or ignored them, and in that one afternoon, while I was waiting, the fines collected were more than $8,600!
That's SOME money that they are making off of defiant people.

The worst that I saw was $3,200 for a mild speeding ticket, that became a failure to appear misdemeanor, and finally an arrest warrant was issued for the driver, and he couldn't get out of jail until the fee was paid (unless there were extenuating circumstances). But at least they took Visa. :(

Take care of it right away, and you win. :laugh:

-Dean.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In California if the Private property is open to the public use ie: parking lots for the movies, businesses etc.. the vehicle code can be enforced thus the meter maids can descend and ticket you for such things as no front plates. Pretty [******] lame in my opinion. There currently isn't a better medium other than the postal service to deliver the tickets via mail and i think they send out a couple of copies to you if you continue not to pay or contest the ticket.. in any case you will end up having to fight it or pay it when DMV renewal times comes along.

I didn't know that parking enforcement could give Front license plate tickets, really?

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is really germane to the issue(s) at hand, but how many states still have the statutory authority to mandate that a vehicle display front license plates. I'm not sure if it was ever a law here in Alabama, but I thought that most states did away with that practice years ago.

Responses??????

Don Hiltz

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so what would they do if you have a dealer plate? most dealers just stick them the rear of the car, and take them with them when they go in (people tend to steal the plates), so there would be no plates at all on the car. kinda strage that they would nail you for such a thing in a parkinglot.

I know some states have temp tags but Cali doesn't. That is what makes this ticket so BS. We just have little temporary registrations taped to the front right corner of the windshield. The plates are sent to us and it takes a long time sometimes. I sold my RT/10 before I ever got my plates sent to me. It took almost 6 months for my jeep's plates to show up and several months for my GTS plates to show up. Complete BS ticket. I know that it might not be worth your time, but you have to fight this one.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is really germane to the issue(s) at hand, but how many states still have the statutory authority to mandate that a vehicle display front license plates. I'm not sure if it was ever a law here in Alabama, but I thought that most states did away with that practice years ago.

Responses??????

Don Hiltz

Your post suggests that this is a bygone issue...when actually the requirement for front plates is on the rise. This has nothing to do with practicality (do you need to get someone's plate number as they are headed right towards you?) Instead, it has everything to do with photo radar, unmanned intersection cameras, and automatic generation of revenues for our local municiplaities...so they can buy more police cruisers, radar guns, and photo radar.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the stupid law enforcement angency would actually rely on the postal service to dispense something so important. The one angency that may be more incomp. than the cops... The must not realise the amount of mail the post office loose every year on people.

Exactly!

So, if it was sent and was actually lost let's assume - and a year goes by...you won't be able to re-new your registration for something that a) you had no knowledge of and b) now, a year later, owe X times more money for?

If they send it through the mail, I can't believe that they don't send it certified to make sure you actually receive it. Otherwise, where is the proof? Stuff is lost all the time - hell, I get more mail for my neighbors most days than I do for myself!

Ah well, like someone mentioned above - bottom of the pond ****...