Motor Trend- "Great Snakes" Article

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great article, I love the little bits of history................ why the letters "SR" were chosen.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is one of the greatest acheivments in automotive history to think they got the car produced within budget and on time. It could never happen today with all the regs, etc.

F

FrgMstr

My favorite line from the article:

But neither Chrysler nor the American Getrag engineers could convince German management how abusive American drivers could be with 6000-rpm clutch drops, speed-shifting -- the types of things Germans don't do to their cars.

Thanks for the linkage OP!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like this;
Helbig asked for a chance to interview, and Sjoberg granted him time late one weekday. "So I talked to Roy, and we talked about all kinds of stuff. I looked down at my watch, and it was now 7:30 in the evening. I had been there three hours. I asked if I had the job. He said, 'Oh, yeah, you were on the team in the first half hour. I just wanted to hear what was in your head.'"

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oldie-But-Goodie, THANKS for the reminder.

One of my favorite anecdotes was the fact that everyone who landed a job at Team Viper was really in "career limbo" for the duration, and probably out of work if the Viper did not succeed. Supplier issues (like the trans) made it kind of shaky. Remember, this was a late-80s Chrysler! They knew coming in that it might be a dead-end, and yet guys like Herb, Dick, Bo, Ken, CB, Pete, Neil, etc x 85 made the leap of faith. Thank God !

And some of us who saw the 1989 Automobile Mag cover concept story sent in checks.....also a small leap of faith....

Viper has changed a LOT of lives........... Viva Viper !

JonB ~~~~:<~

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That was truly a fun read--maybe VCA should make a series of posters containing that story with some pics--make a great series of posters for our garages--Thanks for posting this---Dave

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting read with a different twist from that presented in the books Viper by Matt Stone and Dodge Vipers by Daniel Carney. Thanks for the post.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Very cool - thanks for posting! First time that I've seen this engine prototype - looks like they actually intended to use the speakers:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21