Multitasking: Changed my plugs and became "one" with my GTS!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Multitasking: Changed my plugs and became \"one\" with my GTS!

Well after the advice of some local talent not to change the plugs on my car, as there have only "35,000km" on them (ahem, conversion: 22,000 miles), and electrode wear occurs during use only of course, I deciding, like most suggestions, to ignore those comments and hit some new plugs on my car, good thing I did....

Went with standard RC12LYC at $2.75 for 2 (ahem, conversion: about $.080 cents US each), used some non-copper antiseize on the threads, and loaded each boot up with some dielectric grease. The old plugs looked pretty rough, had no antiseize on them, rearward plugs worse off than front ones, and gap varied over 5 thou off the desired 35 each way, one was down to 15ish, not good!! Moral of the story, spend the 30 minutes
and 20 bucks and change those things, thinking I'll do mine every year. Very easy job after removing the HVAC canister on pass side (2 10 mil, and 2 philips screws), no wobbly needed, always a plus on an alum head car....

So on one of the plugs I slit my thumb pretty nicely, blood all over the cermaic end of the plug, after some pondering I thought this would be a good time to bond with the car, and put the plug in with my blood still on, thing is gonna runs 11's for sure now. I'm officially a member of the "GTS Posse".

For what it was worth after the bleeding stopped I measured the gash in my thumb with the plug gauge, and while I didn't measure depth, it was more than 35 thou wide, Kodak moment measuring a cut on my hand with a Spark Plug gauge, I've got problems.

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Multitasking: Changed my plugs and became \"one\" with my GTS!

bounce.gif
bounce.gif
smile.gif

Joe

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yer supposed to wish for somethin' when that happens...
Did you wish for somethin'?

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Replacing the plug wires now would be a good idea. The Mopar Performance blue wires, MSD, or Magnacore are good choices. Even the OEM replacements are OK -- they just won't last as long as the others.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh good lord Ron! Don't tell him to replace the wires. He may accidently hang himself with 'em.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ok..Time to stop...I'm being mean.

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well since the plug wires are rubber and all, would be hard to inflict any serious damage, I think I can handle it!!

is it tricky at all with the routing behind the motor or fairly easy?

The only wish at the time was that I never should have changed the plugs at all, but that wish has no been updated, something about 8psi or something.....

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not sure if the GenIIs are any better but when I put the wires on my '94 it was a real pain. Putting them on wasn't that hard but the way the manual is illustrated, you can't tell where they're really suppose to go on the coil packs unless you've done it before. Make it easy on yourself and remove the cowl cover and look at the numbers ON THE COIL PACKS with a mirror to see which wire goes where. Other than that, it's a piece of cake.

--Rob

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must remove the cowl cover. You could always replace them one at a time, if you're afraid of mixing them up.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What was wrong with the way it was running before you changed the plugs? These are wear items that don't require the kind of replacement interval that old, points and distributor, cars required. I'm not saying that it was bad to change them at that mileage but what was the gain? I like the idea of being a blood brother with your car but I would say that you should leave the wires alone unless they are causing a problem or you need some other color wires.

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the input guys.

I figured they were originals so the issue was more on getting some antiseize on the threads for ease of removal before it becomes an issue.

the time and expense is/was nil so now have piece of mind from here on in, although it seems to run a touch more smoother, and less bucking at low RPM when crawling around town, which may just be mind games, much like the louder your exhaust, the faster the car!!
smile.gif

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe,

The wires on Vipers actually do go bad regularly. As an example, I called JonB to order something a couple months ago. He asked me what year car I had and how many miles are on it. I told him and he said "Ok...you're probably going to need the second set of plug wires soon." I had actually just put new wires on it earlier that same week!

The symptoms of bad plug wires are rough idle, bucking on acceleration, popping sound from the exhaust (light backfire), surging, over-heated cats, rough acceleration, and more.

When I pulled my wires off I found that three of them had split boots and had been arcing so bad that the area around the split was burnt.

This is not common on most production cars but is common on cars with extremely high output ignition systems. Does anyone know the output of the Viper's coil packs?

--Rob

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's my theory. Every time you do something to the car, you take a chance on screwing something up. Here's an example, you just changed your plugs, you didn't screw up the aluminum threads. Everything turned out fine but if one plug had been frozen in there and half the threads came out with it or if you had crossed one, you would have been wishing you had never touched it. I know, I know, you wanted to put some anti sieze stuff on them and perhaps you saved the day. I've known lot's of guys who were always messing with little things on their cars, things that didn't really need messing with. These guys were often not really up to speed on doing any mechanical work, they just like the idea of doing something to their car other than waxing it. They are prime candidates for messing up something that didn't really need fixing to start with.
This theory is only about half serious;-)

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When removing the Cowl Cover, does one need to remove the windsheild wiper arms? If memory serves, I would think yes. This can be a PITA. Good chance for scratches...

Any tips on removing the wiper arms (if in fact they need to be removed?)

Tomer

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

CAREFULLY is the best advice on the wiper arms...had to use a small wheelpuller on our 96...no damage, but it WORRIED me!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
Here's my theory. Every time you do something to the car, you take a chance on screwing something up. Here's an example, you just changed your plugs, you didn't screw up the aluminum threads. Everything turned out fine but if one plug had been frozen in there and half the threads came out with it or if you had crossed one, you would have been wishing you had never touched it. I know, I know, you wanted to put some anti sieze stuff on them and perhaps you saved the day. I've known lot's of guys who were always messing with little things on their cars, things that didn't really need messing with. These guys were often not really up to speed on doing any mechanical work, they just like the idea of doing something to their car other than waxing it. They are prime candidates for messing up something that didn't really need fixing to start with.
This theory is only about half serious;-)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JOEL: Your entire theory equates to: "Not Broke-Don't Fix!"

My favorite excuse to Brenda: Sure, the roof leaks now, but I can't fix it when its raining.......and if it AIN'T raining, I dont NEED to fix it...............

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
well since the plug wires are rubber and all, would be hard to inflict any serious damage, I think I can handle it!!

is it tricky at all with the routing behind the motor or fairly easy?

The only wish at the time was that I never should have changed the plugs at all, but that wish has no been updated, something about 8psi or something.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I changed my plugs and wires last Spring. The hardest part about changing the wires was removing the cowl cover from what I remember. Just replace the wires one at a time to avoid mix ups. The only thing that upset me is that I somehow broke the plastic covers on one wiper arm and the only way to get new ones is to buy a whole new wiper arm.

Now changing the spark plugs I found to be a pain in the butt on the right side of the engine. Not much room and I wanted to make sure I used a torque wrench to tighten them all down to spec and not overtighten.

Ryan, where did you get the non-copper anti-seize?

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean, they had the better antiseize at our local Canadian Tire, like your Autozone and Pepboys only with more ricer doo dads.

Turns out loading up the boot with dielectric grease is a no-no for chance of boiling the stuff right thru the boot.

Of course I gapped out at 35 thou, and JonB says 38 is better for performance if you change the plugs regularly, so I going back in for more self inflicted damage, I'll post the latest injury report!!!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Going back in for .003 inches.

So you think you're gonna see that at the lights, huh?
Let me suggest that a much bigger variable in your car's performance is at the end of your legs and between your ears.
Learning how to power-shift, for example, pefectly. This will cut TENTHS off your time--TENTHS. That's the equivalent of scores of horsepower.

Just something to think about when you are considering adjusting your gaps by .003.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I TOTALLY agree with joe117 in his philosophical post about messing things up.

It's not just a theory, it's for real, probably hard learned by him, and I guarantee you it's hard learned by me.

If you go in anyhow, God bless you--you are dedicated...

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
Now changing the spark plugs I found to be a pain in the butt on the right side of the engine. Not much room and I wanted to make sure I used a torque wrench to tighten them all down to spec and not overtighten.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

The trick is to do what Ryan did and remove the AC Canister. It is very easy to remove and it makes all the difference...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4