My 2002 GTS arrived last night. Question about tire noise.

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll take some good pictures and post them as soon as I have time to detail the car up. She's beautiful!! :headbang:

I bolted on my new wheels and tires last night and the rear tire noise driving down the freeway sounds like a prop plane. It's loud. Is this normal?

The rear tires are 345/30/19 Nitto Invos.

Thanks!
LOVE THE CAR!!!!!!!!!

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same rear tires and they're not noisy. Jack the back of the car up, and check the wheels for runout (be careful with car up).

If they "wobble," they might be bent.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. They arn't bent, I just had them balanced and they ran out fine on the machine. Any other suggestions?
Thank you

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines BAD. I'm at work so I can't check things off the list now. 14K miles. I hope it isn't something catastrophic like the rear end.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you take the car for a testdrive after it came off the trailer as-is?(would seem logical to me)
or did you just jack her up and put the new wheels on first?

what im gettng at is that it would be pretty easy to pin your issue on a particular set of wheels/tires by switching rather than jumping to conclusions about stuff like half-shafts, diff. and whatnot...

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats...I really like what you did with your avatar...

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad she got home all safe. You probably won't sleep well for a few nights. I kept going out in the garage and just LOOKING at mine. Still feel that way and I'm sure you will, too. Can't come up and see her for about 3 weeks ... back surgery coming up next week and my Dr (Viper lover) said I can't drive for 2 weeks afterward. Hope the noise is just something simple. The tech down at Cresson (Joe) is really good. You could run it down there or call him for ideas.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the GTS, what color? I'm partial to Red with Silver stripes on my 02 GTS. I have new PS'2 on and the rear end is quiet, 35,000 miles on the vehicle. Do you have the old wheels and tires, I would do a quick swap and see if the noise changes/goes away/ gets louder/softer... you get the idea. Looking forward to seeing pics. I still need to post my own as well. Take care. Jeff

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad she got home all safe. You probably won't sleep well for a few nights. I kept going out in the garage and just LOOKING at mine. Still feel that way and I'm sure you will, too. Can't come up and see her for about 3 weeks ... back surgery coming up next week and my Dr (Viper lover) said I can't drive for 2 weeks afterward. Hope the noise is just something simple. The tech down at Cresson (Joe) is really good. You could run it down there or call him for ideas.

Man I hope everything goes well with your back. I hate to hear that. Shoot me a message when you're moblie again and let's get the cars together.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid I have bad news. Got the car on a lift and went over it with a fine tooth comb while someone was keeping it steady at 65 MPH. The noise is coming directly from the ring and pinion assembly. Checked the fluid and it's topped off and looks and smells like it should. Thinking it might be a good time to upgrade my ratio to 3:55. I'm not thrilled about this but the rest of the car is in absoultely perfect condition. I plan on calling the seller today and asking him about it. I'd much rather have a rear end making noise than to take delivery and find the car has had paint and body work. Could be worse!! I'm trying hard to stay positive!!! LOL -Alex-

I appreciate all the help and comments guys. I'll post pictures after I detail the snot out of her this weekend. Looks AWESOME after I bolted up the late model 5 spokes.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't sweat it Alex it'll all work out anything mechanical can be fixed.
I had to dump 5K into my 98 GTS in the first six months I had it, new tranny clutch and flywheel.
And it only had 9K on it. It was just driven by an idiot.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't sweat it Alex it'll all work out anything mechanical can be fixed.
I had to dump 5K into my 98 GTS in the first six months I had it, new tranny clutch and flywheel.
And it only had 9K on it. It was just driven by an idiot.

Thanks bro, I appreciate that. I am most likely going to just do the 3:55 swap and be done with it. LOVE THE CAR!!!!

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to hear that the rear end issue was not disclosed by the seller. Its wishful thinking but do you think the seller would get with you on some repair costs? I would think a seller that took care of their car and was proud of it would not want the next owner having to put a rear end in it right off the rip. Not the way I sell things. :nono:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that *****. Hopefully the previous owner will MAN up and help out with the cost of the repair. It's just killing me not working, having all this free time and not being able to spend it either driving or working on the car. I'll come up and see yours as soon as I get through a couple of weeks of recovery.

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that *****. Hopefully the previous owner will MAN up and help out with the cost of the repair. It's just killing me not working, having all this free time and not being able to spend it either driving or working on the car. I'll come up and see yours as soon as I get through a couple of weeks of recovery.

good luck with back surgery, think i might be knocking on that door soon.

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on the car, got mine in April last year and it still tickles me when I see her in the garage, weather supposed to be nice this weekend, let me know it you want to go for a drive, I am on 360/Heritage Pkwy