My 2002 GTS arrived last night. Question about tire noise.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to hear that the rear end issue was not disclosed by the seller. Its wishful thinking but do you think the seller would get with you on some repair costs? I would think a seller that took care of their car and was proud of it would not want the next owner having to put a rear end in it right off the rip. Not the way I sell things. :nono:

I bought the car from an exotic dealer out of Utah. I have a call into the gent I delt with and plan on chatting with him in depth about the issue. Hopefully he will man up and help offset the cost a bit but my hopes arn't up. Talk to you later.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that *****. Hopefully the previous owner will MAN up and help out with the cost of the repair. It's just killing me not working, having all this free time and not being able to spend it either driving or working on the car. I'll come up and see yours as soon as I get through a couple of weeks of recovery.

Let me know when you're mobile again. I want to see that beauty on the road. -Alex-

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on the car, got mine in April last year and it still tickles me when I see her in the garage, weather supposed to be nice this weekend, let me know it you want to go for a drive, I am on 360/Heritage Pkwy

Sounds like a plan. I will be spending all day detailing on Saturday. Maybe we could go cruise a bit on Sunday.
-Alex-

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car from an exotic dealer out of Utah. I have a call into the gent I delt with and plan on chatting with him in depth about the issue. Hopefully he will man up and help offset the cost a bit but my hopes arn't up. Talk to you later.

If he does it will be the first time in the history of used car sales....;)

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he does it will be the first time in the history of used car sales....;)

What he said...my viper was listed as...everthing is 'just like new'...I was told 'nothing to replace except the tires'. I purchased it from a very well known (in the viper community) sports car dealer in Kansas City. Their references were very good, they sponsor a viper event every year. About a week after I received the viper, I decided to open up the soft top...holes in it :mad:...it wasn't 'just like new' and it wasn't the tires. I called the rep and he was 'We've got a replacement in the back, I'll talk to the owner and send it out to you'. I get a call back and it's...'Our business is way down and the owner said that you should have refused delivery of the viper if you weren't happy with it.' Refused delivery over the soft top...you must be f*cking crazy.

That's the last time I spoke to them. :curse: They had the top right there and didn't do the right thing...very nice customer service.

So good luck, but don't have your hope's too high.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks bro, I appreciate that. I am most likely going to just do the 3:55 swap and be done with it. LOVE THE CAR!!!!

Somewhere, I hate to hear about your mis-fortune, before buying gears you might want to check-out this excellent post by 345's bspinnin. I've heard 1st gear doesn't last long with 3.55's which makes me lean toward 3.33 or 3.37's. Not trying to change your mind, just trying to help. :) I'm sure others have gone the 3.55 route and love it.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...eeds-vs-rpm-warning-actual-math-included.html

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE: I talked with the seller and explained the issue to him in detail. He offered to pay $400 to help offset the cost of a new gear swap. I was very pleased with the offer to help and I think there are still good people in the world. 3:55's..here I come!! :drive:

jrod_okc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you found what it was, that is what i figured it was. I did not break in my 3.55's right and the make the same noise. Have fun!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE: I talked with the seller and explained the issue to him in detail. He offered to pay $400 to help offset the cost of a new gear swap. I was very pleased with the offer to help and I think there are still good people in the world. 3:55's..here I come!! :drive:

SWEET! That's better than nothin'.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That'll probably net out in the 3.45 range??? anybody want to put a gear calculator to this?
Don't forget the speedo re-calibrator.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me, I bought a 69 gto that just had a new 355 posi put in it, drove it home 30 miles with noise and went to pick up my kid from school,just as I left the school parking lot it shot a pinion bolt threw the rear end(just like the old days!)what a mess!Well at least your viper didnt fling apart!Good luck with yours!

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me, I bought a 69 gto that just had a new 355 posi put in it, drove it home 30 miles with noise and went to pick up my kid from school,just as I left the school parking lot it shot a pinion bolt threw the rear end(just like the old days!)what a mess!Well at least your viper didnt fling apart!Good luck with yours!

Ouch! Tough luck man.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96