My car doesn't want to idle!!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car doesn\'t want to idle!!

I've read posts and done some searches. I still don't know what to do. I have warranty, but I hate to have to take it to my local 5 star dlr for many reasons. I think collectively we have more resources here anyway.
So here's the symptoms. When I'm driving and cruising at say 2500 RPM and I let off on the gas to shift or to coast the engine will hang at 2100 RPM for awhile (10 to 30 secs) then it'll drop to maybe 1100 and hang there for a bit before dropping to idle! If I apply the brakes, it seems to make it un hang sooner. Sometimes though, you can tell it's still hanging when the brakes are applied because it starts to lug the engine before dropping to an idle.
I've tried moving the cable, by adjusting the bracket held by the two bolts. No improvement, I can't see this being the problem because there is a strong return spring to close throttle bodies anyway.
So is it an intake leak, if so what do I use to spray around the manifold to locate the leak.
Or is it an electrical problem with my PCM, which I've read some of you talk about.
It seems to be getting progressively worse and almost dangerous because the car wants to GO. Also for shifting it's a pain. Sure I can drive and get around, but it starting to really p!ss me off. This is not how this thing is suppose to work.
I could sure use some help please!

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: My car doesn\'t want to idle!!

I've tried the cable adjustment last night, no luck.
It has to be something else, because linkage goes right back to the stop when you take your foot off the go pedal.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try cleaning your throttle bodies. Could be carbon/dirt build up.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks, I'll check it out.
The car only has 6000 miles,and how would carbon build up in the throttle bodies?? Not trying to be smart, just can't see that happening with my car, but I'll check it anyway.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine had about 6,000 on it and a throttle body and injector cleaning produced a noticeable improvement in the idle and full throttle power.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"Mine had about 6,000 on it and a throttle body and injector cleaning produced a noticeable improvement in the idle and full throttle power."

Interesting, can you see by looking into the front of the throttle bodies or do you have to remove them?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bigfoot,
I couldn't see any dirt or whatever. But it was idling a little too low so the tech cleaned them and the injectors when it was in for the 999 recall. Maybe it was more the injectors.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My car isn't idling too low. It's more like cruise control.
Last night I bet I went for 2 miles in 3rd at 2100RPM WITHOUT touching a pedal.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nobody mentioned intake manifold gasket leak? Happened three times on the '96. Symptoms were the same as yours. Get it checked out.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It should be easy to check for an intake leak. Just not sure weather to use gas or either. If I spray either around the intake (very sparingly of coarse) where it meets the heads, the RPM's should rise on their own correct?

Update, propane is the gas to use!
I'll check that also tonight, all I need is a small blue propane tank and a tip.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem for a year. My dealer was very patient . my car had around 30k miles @ that time. we changed: tps, map,de coked, throttle body service, plugs, wires, o2 sensors. It would run better then get a lite & start doing the same thing. One of the board guys, I think Woodhouse, suggested a battery change. That did it. Even though the battery was good & showed no other problems ever. It know has been ok for 3k miles.
Pete

Kevin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Old mechanics trick to check for vacum leaks;
Start the car and let it idle down to normal or slow idle
take a propane torch open the valve a crack do not light it and pass the tip over suspected vacum connections when the engine accelerates you found it.
Good luck

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"Old mechanics trick to check for vacum leaks;
Start the car and let it idle down to normal or slow idle
take a propane torch open the valve a crack do not light it and pass the tip over suspected vacum connections when the engine accelerates you found it.
"

Exactly,
Thanks

There you are Gerald, I was looking for you at VCA MN.
Any thoughts?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone cleaing the throttle bodies themselves? If so, what are you using and what is the process? :usa:

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So said Bigfeet

There you are Gerald, I was looking for you at VCA MN.
Any thoughts?

I don't have a recco, without being able to get under your hood...Can you come down tomorrow???? :cool:

However...

I kind of like the "replace your battery" idea...You probably need a new one anyway...My RT is a 2000 and I am replacing mine this weekend, just for g/p...Cheap and effective insurance...

Although the ISC or the TPS could be the culprites too...Have you tinkered with anything under the hood lately or possibly put an unusually long load on your battery (doors open, radio on, etc)...

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Tracey,

I'm willing to bet it's your idle control valve. On my 1994 the ICV got clogged with carbon build up. I took it off and cleaned it with solvent and the problem went away. When you go to stop, the car would want to idle high and when completely stopped, it would stumble and die. It's a simple fix and takes about 15 mins to do it. Your Valve is located by the throttle bodies I think on the driver's side. It's mounted at an angle.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Last night I had the Snake out and it didn't hardly hang at all :confused:
Last night wasn't nearly as humid as the night it was realy acting up..........hmmm.
I haven't had a chance to check out the suggestions above yet, but I will soon.
I'm starting to think it's more likely an electronic problem.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I noticed mine would do it when I had the defroster on, or the ac on max. Try the battery, I resisted for a year, it just wasnt the logical answer , but it did the trick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4