My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's funny. There are many owners here (including myself) that have had the best of both worlds, that is, the opportunity to own both a Z06 and a Viper.

I purchased my Z06 in April of 2001, I bought it when I was 22, so my experiences where probably not unlike your own. I modified my car quite extensively, exhaust, intake, suspension, HRE's, nitrous, over 462 rwhp, if your interested you can view it at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/294811.

Granted I sold my Z06 months before I purchased my Viper, so I did not have the pleasure of driving one as compared to the other within a short amount of time, but I am certainly not as critical as you were of the Viper.

I did notice a few things, the braking system was not as responsive in the Viper, and the build quality was certainly better for the Z06. But I found purchasing the Viper was certainly a step forward, even with the Viper being 2 years the Z06's elder.

In response to your critiques here are my own:

1. The Corvette has the cheap plastic interior. In fact, this is well noted among most car enthusiasts and is a topic of extensive engineering for the C6. GM does not want to make this mistake again. I will note the Viper does not offer the most luxurious design, but it is very pleasing to the eye, and is significantly more ergonomic than the bells and whistles vette.

2. I am 6'-1" and I fit fine, but I can understand your argument at 6'-4". Comfort is not one of the things that would influence my purchase of a sports car. I tend to compromise that for performance and looks.

3. Again, I could care less how much I see or don't see over the hood of a sports car.

4. If you have the pleasure of owning an aftermarket shift kit in your Z06, maybe you have forgotten how rubbery feeling it used to be from the factory. This is one thing I commend the Viper for, it has a very responsive feeling shift as compared to the factory Z06.

5. Certainly, the sound is an issue, but it is very much an issue with the Z06 as well. I owned an f-body with the adjustable Borla prior to my Z06 with the B&B PRT system, and later the Borla Stingers . The f-body was hands down the best sounding of three. I would say the uniqueness of the Viper sound is a selling point over the Z06, and that only gets better with aftermarket exhaust.

6. I agree the Viper compared to the Z06 is not a ton faster when driving it by itself, but pit it next to the car in question, and it will seem a lot faster as the Z06 looses ground to it.

I would like to add one thing, and that is the looks factor. Increasingly Z06's are poppoing up routinely in my area, and the crowd driving them gets younger and younger. By comparison I rarely see another Viper, especially with an owner as young as myself. As a result, the looks I get when driving my Viper are unrivaled. My Z06 was quite a head turner with the 18/19 HRE's, and the custom nitrous system, but nothing compares to the Viper (even in factoy garb). As a young man in their early twenties, I'm sure even you can appreciate that...

Brian

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"BTW I drove the red '01 not the silver one. I was guessing at the year so it probably was a '98."

Sure... Maybe you were "quessing" that it was a Viper too?
It may have been "propably" a used Rustang.

Even my old ugly -93 RT/10 can dust your -01 Z06, heh, heh....
Ps. I too had several Corvettes. No more.

Lauri

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm if you ignore a troll they do go away.
Great car you've got there buddy, far superior to our Vipers!

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's funny. There are many owners here (including myself) that have had the best of both worlds, that is, the opportunity to own both a Z06 and a Viper.

I purchased my Z06 in April of 2001, I bought it when I was 22, so my experiences where probably not unlike your own. I modified my car quite extensively, exhaust, intake, suspension, HRE's, nitrous, over 462 rwhp, if your interested you can view it at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/294811.

Granted I sold my Z06 months before I purchased my Viper, so I did not have the pleasure of driving one as compared to the other within a short amount of time, but I am certainly not as critical as you were of the Viper.

I did notice a few things, the braking system was not as responsive in the Viper, and the build quality was certainly better for the Z06. But I found purchasing the Viper was certainly a step forward, even with the Viper being 2 years the Z06's elder.

In response to your critiques here are my own:

1. The Corvette has the cheap plastic interior. In fact, this is well noted among most car enthusiasts and is a topic of extensive engineering for the C6. GM does not want to make this mistake again. I will note the Viper does not offer the most luxurious design, but it is very pleasing to the eye, and is significantly more ergonomic than the bells and whistles vette.

2. I am 6'-1" and I fit fine, but I can understand your argument at 6'-4". Comfort is not one of the things that would influence my purchase of a sports car. I tend to compromise that for performance and looks.

3. Again, I could care less how much I see or don't see over the hood of a sports car.

4. If you have the pleasure of owning and aftermarket shift kit in your Z06, maybe you have forgotten how rubbery feeling it used to be from the factory. This is one thing I commend the Viper for, it has a very responsive feeling shift as compared to the factory Z06.

5. Certainly, the sound is an issue, but it is very much an issue with the Z06 as well. I owned an f-body with the adjustable Borla prior to my Z06 with the B&B PRT system, and later the Borla Stingers . The f-body was hands down the best sounding of three. I would say the uniqueness of the Viper sound is a selling point over the Z06, and that only gets better with aftermarket exhaust.

6. I agree the Viper compared to the Z06, is not a ton faster when driving it by itself, but pit it next to the car in question, and it will seem a lot faster as the Z06 looses ground to it.

I would like to add one thing, and that is the looks factor. Increasingly Z06's are poppoing up routinely in my area, and the crowd driving them gets younger and younger. By comparison I rarely see another Viper, especially with an owner as young as myself. As a result, the looks I get when driving my Viper are unrivaled. My Z06 was quite a head turner with the 18/19 HRE's, and the custom nitrous system, but nothing compares to the Viper (even in factoy garb). As a young man in their early twenties, I'm sure even you can appreciate that...

Brian

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need to at least upgrade to a 02 and gets you some 405hp

Heck, thats how many horses the palin wrapper C6 will have (65year old "windbreakers" and secretaries drivin quasi Z-06s! OUCH!

Anyway cobra, get what YOU want. You just realized that the Viper ain't what you expected, want, or for you. Move on, keep looking etc.
Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know that the pedals were adjustable, maybe that would have helped w/ my left knee hitting the dash on every shift. How do you all deal w/ no room to the left of the clutch? Do you just keep your foot in the air, that get's pretty tiring.

As for the clutch, do vipers generally have high release points? b/c I know that w/ a vette the release point goes up as the clutch wears out and it gets harder. This clutch was hard and it had a high release point so maybe it was on it's last leg.

I drove a my cobra w/ a king cobra clutch in it for five years, so I don't need an auto that thing was hard but you get used to what you drive. Go drive a civic for a week and your viper will feel hard to push in again.

As for the 1/4 times I put what I got and am honest w/ that. There's plenty of guys w/ high 11 slips on drag radials on stock Z's w/ the slips to prove it. I've seen it done in person, but just haven't done it my self. If you figure that I ran a 12.9 w/ a 2.23 60-ft. under 1.9's are possible w/ the stock rubber, but I'm not willing to abuse my clutch that much ( I prefer road racing). Then if you figure some DR's on there you can cut some 1.7 60-ft... there's your high 11's. I haven't done it, but it is possible. There's a guy J-rod that ran 11.52 on an '02Z w/ just some DR's.

Yeah my Z06 is the slow one... that's why my plate says SOOSLOW! BTW it dynoed at 358 w/ a vortex and stingers. I figure headers and some tuning and I'll be around 390 rwhp.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First of all "cobra" has an idenity problem...Viper, Cobra, corvette which one is it? 2nd you come on here telling us your crap on a viper site. 3rd your age shows, bottom line light weight boy, go home and ask dad for gas money. What a freaking dickk head! Oh by the way your opinion on Vipers is useless! Only thing :2tu: I would take advice from you on is how to open a pack of baseball bubble gum cards. Fool!

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to grow up. It takes some time. It is possible that Viper is not for you, sorry.

I love my GTS for a brute force, and … character!!! It’s a street legal racecar – a beast. She pumps my blood every time I push her. My pulse is much higher than normal when I get back home. And, yes, I love swinging the tail and see the eyes of people around. Love Vette people – they pretend they do not see me. That means something – yes???

I do not care about Lexus-type smooth ride, gadgets, etc. – these cars are boring. My wife says – all look exactly the same, no character at all. And, why everybody wants to drive my car and I have to guard the keys??? Look at this – I gave a ride to a beautiful 21yo girl from London. She gets out like drunk, excited and says: “I need to upgrade my boyfriend.” BTW, he owns a $100+ Porsche.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra:Your odviously a Troll who dreams of one day owning a Viper. You cut down the Viper because you can't afford one. Sad very sad. Stick to your 1 in over a million vettes. By the time I was finished typing this sentence they made 5 more vettes. :eek:

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all "cobra" has an idenity problem...Viper, Cobra, corvette which one is it? 2nd you come on here telling us your crap on a viper site. 3rd your age shows, bottom line light weight boy, go home and ask dad for gas money. What a freaking dickk head! Oh by the way your opinion on Vipers is useless! Only thing :2tu: I would take advice from you on is how to open a pack of baseball bubble gum cards. Fool!

ab laying the smack down!!! :2tu:

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expected to get reamed from you guys, same thing happens when a Cobra owner posts on vette or viper sights... no worries. My screename is what it is b/c I had a cobra for five years and didn't want to change my screename after all this time. Not trying to be a troll, and I don't see how my age is relevant. I'm 22 and an adult by any standards... not some 16 year-old. I'm a graduate of William & Mary and bought this car myself. Also, how do you know what I can afford. I can get a used GTS for aroud $50k and after I'm done modding the Z it'll be about that. I posted what I observed today, and was calling it as I saw it. The majority the dissapointment came from me not fitting in the car and hitting my head and knees the whole time. Personally I don't buy a car to get noticed or get women, I bought the Z06 becuase it's a fantastic open track car and that's what I'm into. I don't need a car to get attention or chicks. The women these things attact will give you ****** if you're not careful!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra4B,

I think that the biggest problem is that you simply didn't fit in the car. And most everything else that you mentioned were issues that many Viper owners customize in their own cars.

I'm over 6 feet tall, and even though I fit fine in the car normally, lowering the seat (easy kit install) made a huge difference because you are then looking through the center of the window, not through the sun visor. And you get a better view of the road as well because the windshield isn't so filled up with a view of the hood.

With some simple (and not too expensive) MGW aluminum trim pieces, the interior spiffs up smartly, Adding a B&M Ripper and short shifter adds a more solid shifting feel, and some high flow cats and aftermarket exhaust transforms the tame stock exhaust (on the newer Vipers) with a ripping roar on WOT.

Plus easy mods will bring the power up to 500HP+, even though the stock Viper is already pretty quick in this regard. The torque is amazing! And adding 3.55 gears makes it even more meaty.

The Viper is NOT the perfect car for everybody, but it's easily customizable to match many people's expectations and needs for an awesome supercar.

As you can see, many of us came from Corvettes, so we know about their relative attributes and shortcomings. But only maybe 1 in 100 Viper owners move on to other cars because the Viper is truly unique and amazing to own/regularly drive. A single glimpse in a stock Viper isn't really the best example of what's best about this car.

You should see if you can hook up with a Viper owner in VA who has lowered his seats (a common mod) and get a ride/drive. Then have them take you through a busy part of town, because the celebrity-thing is NO exaggeration.

-Dean.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Cobra...this is a viper for your info, what you drove was probably a neon..

207My_Pictures0010.jpg

And this is too....

472003-cc-1.jpg

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra...
Your dream of owning a Viper seems like it just bit the dust...but writing for Motor Trend and Road and Track is definitely in your future.

Stick with the bowties...the fangs are just to raw for you.

CStegall

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for being nice Snakestr and giving some intelligent feedback. Everything you said makes sese and would make the car far more enjoyable. Man that comp coupe is beautiful!

Adam you're right I was driving the new srt-4 neon... the salesman said it was a viper, guess I'm a *****.

Go re-read my initial post you guys... the tone wans't viper bashing at all, but most you guys got offended and acted like pricks. It seems many of you bought these cars to boost your ego's not race them. Yeah I got lots of stares tooling around in that snake today, but a yellow Z06 w/ wheels gets plenty of looks for me.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam you're right I was driving the new srt-4 neon... the salesman said it was a viper, guess I'm a *****.

Go re-read my initial post you guys... the tone wans't viper bashing at all, but most you guys got offended and acted like pricks. It seems many of you bought these cars to boost your ego's not race them. Yeah I got lots of stares tooling around in that snake today, but a yellow Z06 w/ wheels gets plenty of looks for me.

i got mine so i could boost the engine not my ego. do you know what people are staring at.... look its another z06 thats like the 5th one i have seen today. there is no comparsion in the 2 cars. you are in the food chain and you are a group below us.....we will eat you.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra...
Have YOU re-read your initial post :mad: ???
Cliff Notes: "The viper is butt ugly,poor transmission,not enough room, poor exhaust sound, bad cockpit view and not very fast."

Exactly what part of the word "bashing" don't you understand?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'2'' 12.3 @ 114 mph
If you don't like the looks of the dashboard, then get used to looking the back end of them. :cool:

2000 GTS Steel Grey :usa:
Six piston Baer claws up front, front brakes in back
Quaife Differential, GKH half shafts, alloy fly wheel,
short throw shifter, polished intakes, K&N air filters, Optima battery,

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Yes guys 50 posts in 1 hr..a new record..beating out vipair thread..give yourselves a hand..GREAT TEAMWORK..put him right under the table..lol

[/QUOTE]

LOL!
Adam, if you wouldn't have posted the picture of the comp coupe, the count would be much higher!!! :headbang:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No sweat Cobra4B. I've always loved cars. All kinds of cars. And I followed the familiar path of Mustang to Corvette to Viper. And frankly I never figured that I'd be able to own a Viper as it was always a wild, out-there dream for me.

But I've had mine now over 2 years, I drive it almost every day and it still makes me grin whenever I get behind the wheel. :D

Also I didn't previously mention that the Viper's handling is great as well.
It's a really solid car, with balanced performance.
And as you increase your driving skills, and familiarity with the Viper it rewards you by showing you it's full performance potential, which is amazing!

I've actually driven a friend's modded '01 Z06, lowered with HREs (yellow too), and it was indeed a comfortable car with many creature comforts. But even though the Z06 would make a better commuter/performance-car (and can still beat a Ferrari 360) it wasn't doing the Z06 any favors when we did back-to-back driving between the two cars (he owns a GTS now), with the torque (and style) of the Viper being real standouts.

Both the SVT Cobra and Z06 are great cars, easily modded for outstanding power, and some of the best performance car bargains out there today.

But the Viper truly is at a different level, being closer to an exotic/racecar (good and bad), and it benefits from basic mods to customize the car to suit the needs of the owner, and to smooth (or sharpen) it's rough edges to make the Viper fit our differing expectations.

-Dean.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Adam you're right I was driving the new srt-4 neon... the salesman said it was a viper, guess I'm a *****."

This is great, we did not even have to coach you!

And it was a rustang, I quess the salesperson REALLY screwed you this time. He must have seen you coming in that yellow, now at was is again?

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5. Probably the most disapointing thing of all was the sound. There was NONE! I figured a 488 c.i. v10 would make some noise, but not only did it sound bad, it was so quiet.

can you tell my neighbors that please. son if you want a real car and have real money then buy mine. its on ebay, but only for a limited time.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, everyone elso has pretty much piled on you before I got to the party, but they did leave me a few pieces of you to chew on. Iv'e owned over 30 Corvettes including the Z06.
My observations...

1. If you never adjusted the pedals away from you and you are 6'4" you had a sucky ride, right here is where the sales guy failed you, imagine driving the Z with the seat almost all the way forward? Like your Mom just got out of it? That would be the effect if say a guy who was 5'8" or so had adjusted the pedals to fit himself prior to your ride. And your left foot probably WOULD be in the air. If the pedals are adjusted correctly your left foot should fit comfortably on the floor, and you will not notice the lack of a dead pedal. And it has not seemed to bother all the Viper guys who regularly wax the Z at the drags or the road course.

2. The low hood comment baffles me....I mean does your Cobra have a lower hood?...that sucker looks as flat as the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln. I had a C4 and a C5 and I swear I did not have any problem with visability differences.

3. The sound.....ahhh, the sound...have you ever heard a Ferrari in full flight? Or a Warbird (WW2 fighter plane)?
With the simple deletion of the rear mufflers and a $100 x crossover pipe you are close...go to belanger headers and high flow cats and you will think W just declared defcon 3.

4.The clutch....I you wanna have twice the torque of the Vette, you're gonna have to get to the gym...if the pedals were not adjusted out then you might not have the leverage...and others have commented on the differences in the clutch...and you may not have noticed but the engine is so BIG it takes up room in the cockpit and you have to sit a little sideways canted to the left...surprised you did not notice this in your most discerning analysis as THIS is the thing most of us had trouble with as we transitioned from a regular performance car to a race car that you can drive on the street.

5. There is a guy up higher on the thread by the name of Bill Pemberton, he doesen't brag about what he does when he comes here and talks to newbs. But he probably sells half the new Vipers in the country, and he ships nationally, if you really want an education click on the link at the top of the page that says Woodhouse Dodge and call or email him. Don't waste his time if this was just an opportunity to talk up the Vette, but if you are a potentially serious buyer of Vipers you need serious sales assistance, not the dweeb you went to who did not even know the pedals adjusted.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra,
I still have my 2002 ZO6 (2 years now) and a '97 GTS (1 year). Since you are a track guy, I've taken the Z to the track (road race) and this year took the viper. Guess which one is now my track car and which one I use to get the groceries in the rain.
The vettes cannot catch me; too much power on those straights!

If you really are a track guy, you need to try a properly (ergonomically) modded version before you write the car off. I could climb on the band wagon here but I think the point is either you came here to start some **** and never drove a viper or you missed the boat with your assessment today.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Cobra, I'm another one of those Corvette *and* Viper guys. I have a 99 GTS and an 01 Z06, both of which I bought new. The Corvette is more comfortable, easier to drive around town, and get's better gas mileage then the Viper. The Viper is simply more exciting - and more fun to drive.

The torque curve of the Viper is amazing and the power difference between the two cars is significant The Viper pulls harder at 160 mph then the Z06 does at 120mph. And, the Viper is much smoother revving. I always felt the Z06 was a bit strained and rasty feeling compared to the Viper. Looks wise, there's also no comparison between the Viper and my 'Big Butt' Corvette. Still I like the Z06 quite a bit, and drive it daily.

However, it's the Viper I daydream about, and if I had to sell one of the cars, the Vette would be outta here. One other thing is that if you are as much of 'track guy' as you say, you'll know that cars like these are plenty fast - with individual vehicle prep and driver skill/daring making the biggest difference in lap times.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21