My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

BLOWNGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have the Z all detailed so my dad and I went for a spin. We wound up over at Foriegn Cars Italia. It's Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. dealer in the middle of freakn' Greensbro NC. I think they're here b/c of it's central location in the east coast, who knows, but they have some killer cars (had an Enzo this summer!).

I walk around and there's two vipers. One is a silver '97 GTS and the other is a '01 RT/10. I inquire about the red one and seeing as I roll up in the vette they take me seriously (I'm 22). Salesman was cool and was asking me question all about the Z, and even about the viper. I've drooled over those since I was little so I know all the stats and info etc (way more than the salesman, but he was very cool). We go for a test drive and here's my observations.

1. First I was shocked w/ how cheap and ugly the interior is! Makes the vette look like a Bently. The layout and dash design was butt compared to the vette (which has gerat ergonomics and looks IMO).

2. If you're over 6 foot you can't own one of these (I'm 6'4" and the vette is great for me) I was hitting my head on the roof, and while the seat went back plenty far for me, my left knee kept hitting the dash when I'd engage the clutch. To make matters worse there's no dead pedal or room at all to the left of the clutch. This means that you have to hold your foot up in the air the whole time!

3. The view from the cockpit isn't that great. You can't see much of the road, whereas in a c5 you have a very low hood line and great visibility.

4. The shifter feels like crap, I almost stuck it in first on a 2-3 shift, but so does the stock one in the vette so nothing against the viper there.

5. Probably the most disapointing thing of all was the sound. There was NONE! I figured a 488 c.i. v10 would make some noise, but not only did it sound bad, it was so quiet.

6. Driving the car was hard b/c I just plain didn't fit in it, but it is pretty fast. But, nowhere near as fast as I had expected. I guess I had built it up in my head over the years and just didn't realize how fast a Z was! Granted I didn't get it up over 100 and I hear that's where it'll walk away from a Z06. The car has amazing torque, but w/ no sound it's not that much fun. Also, the clutch is mechanical and much harder to push in that in a vette.

All in all it's a cool looking car, but seeing them side by side I really prefer the looks of my Z. It's much sleeker. I've always wanted a Viper, but man that car was dissapointing! I guess if you could make special brackets to lower the seats or chop my feet of then it might be better. If you're under 6' tall don't let this deter you, go drive one! But make sure you drive a Z06 too it you haven't :cheers:
Good get the hell off the site you ***. You could not handle a real car. Interior cheap, this coming from a GM owner. Please. I have had 3 vettes, they are a womans car. I was just young and stuid like you before I realized it. Now **** and get out.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Now those of you that are pissed can unwad your ******* and go for a drive in your sweet cars to re-affirm that they're the best in the world. You all out-numbered me and won our little ******* contest."

WE WON, WE WON, WE WON!!!!! It just proves again and again, that Vipers are capable of winning any ******* contest with Vettes.

Hey Cobradude, I would rather take a C4, modify it with 5-9K worth parts. With this combo you would be loosing again, on staight, curves or anywhere else...

When it comes to Corvettes, my last one was a -63 Split window, which I restored for almost 5 years. When I sold it I wanted to buy a ZR-1 (Turquoise), but was not able to find one with tan interior. Kinda rare, most of them are with black interior, turquoise beeing hard to find in the first place. I have driven ZR-1's, C-4's and C-5's. Maybe one day I will get a ZR-1, I would not mind. I do like also the -96 GS and Collectors Ed, always have, great looking cars.
On the other hand the C-5 looks like a turtle with hemoroids... good thing it has a cupholder, thats important in a track car too!

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Cobra Boys dream of owning a Viper was crushed looooong before he test drove one.. That dream was crushed when he checked his piggy bank and only found enough money for gas.

:D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra...
Have YOU re-read your initial post :mad: ???
Cliff Notes: "The viper is butt ugly,poor transmission,not enough room, poor exhaust sound, bad cockpit view and not very fast."

Exactly what part of the word "bashing" don't you understand?

We need to have a rule: Due to the inevitable abundance of responses there should be no more posting antagonistic threads by GM girls while I'm away for a holiday.

Clark, thanks for the Cliff Notes.

Cobra, the Viper is too much car for you. I think I caught something about you road racing? Yep, the Vette is a much better "beginner" car for that. Stick with it. The Viper you actually have to learn to drive.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During this joyous Holiday season we, the viper community should give something back to the less fortunate...

how about a viper for tots program to those poor unfortunate vette owners that have always wanted a viper but could not afford one...

You must be registered for see images

Just imagine the joy and smiles you'd bring

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also had a couple vettes and they are what they are, nice and predictable docile cars with some good looks.

What made me realize a vette is not in the same league as a Viper was the fact that my wife always drove my last vette and LOVED it. She drove it to work and took my son house shopping in it, and simply loved the neato Bose stereo. She refuses to drive the Viper as in her words: "It's scary fast, not like the vette".

I think we might buy her a vette for her "toy" since she loved it so much. It was a problem free car and it rode very smooth and comfy down the road, no complaints here. Don't get me wrong I like vettes but I know what they really are and they are GREAT for what the general intended them for.

BTW... My eight year-old STOCK Viper put out 400RWHP @ 463RWTQ on the Dyno. Big numbers some think but not in the Viper world.
Aren't you gonna make somewhere close to that with your vette after a paxton and other mods? You can really hop those vettes up though and do it on the cheap, there is so much available out there for those 350 motors. Definitely advantages to having a motor that’s been used by the general for 50 years. I see the new c6 is gonna be a pretty one, you should check those out since they will have more power than that z06 you have.

I'd dump that 01 z06 on a trade in at chevy and get that new hot body c6 vette. The new c6’s are real pretty cars and at a bargain price for what you're getting, more bang for the buck you know, that’s what it’s all about isn’t it.

Stay away from Dodge Vipers cobra, you're a vette dude or a stang dude and you should always stick with what you know. :2tu:

Now go back to crossedflags.com or z06.com or chebbyvette.com and find out about that pretty new c6!!

You know that new untitled Vipers have a gas guzzler tax that goes with them (ouch about 3k), did the 2001 z06’s come with an oil guzzler tax?

j/k :2tu:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Cobra Boys dream of owning a Viper was crushed looooong before he test drove one.. That dream was crushed when he checked his piggy bank and only found enough money for gas.

:D
True True. I think there are fewer Cavaliers out there than Vettes. It's funny how those guys on the Vette forum talk big until you pull up next to them and they cower like a whipped dog. :cool:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really want a laugh....this is his sig on the vette forum, make sure you read the last line!

Mods Completed: removed BSMs, hurst w/ yellow Ken King boot and console strip, clear vortex w/ black power coupler, 2-tip stingers, homemade partition, Z06 brake screens, power antenna, CAGS disabler, rocker rails, custom painted bumper, black front signal covers, 18in black powdercoated CCWs w/ Kumhos
Driver Mods: Road Atlanta track day 8/02, Panoz 3-day school 7/03
Chevy Problems: column lock, fried clutch packs(rear), intermitent gas guage and turn signals, likes oil, sticky clutch, radio light out, squeeky belt!
Old Cars: '97 rio red Cobra vert (13.42 @ 103), '95 laser red Probe GT 5-spd
The College of William & Mary class of 2003 (310th!)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy Problems: column lock, fried clutch packs(rear), intermitent gas guage and turn signals, likes oil, sticky clutch, radio light out, squeeky belt!

I especially liked the above part of his sig.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys who love Chevy because its a Chevy scare me. Those are the rednecks that cut you off in traffic because your driving a Dodge. Sorry we can't be pals Cobra.
I can't see spending all your money on mods to try to make you Corvette perform like a Viper...your going to be upside down on that car.
If I were you I would take another test drive.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, at least my poorly built column lock and my poorly built clutch and my poorly built turn signals and my poorly built gas gauge and my poorly built radio lights ALL WORK after 8 years! Oh and I forgot to add that my Viper did not come from the factory with a oil DRINKING problem.

This guy really does deserve a vette if he thinks it's built better than a Viper. ROTFLMAO at vette guy.

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys who love Chevy because its a Chevy scare me. Those are the rednecks that cut you off in traffic because your driving a Dodge. Sorry we can't be pals Cobra.
I can't see spending all your money on mods to try to make you Corvette perform like a Viper...your going to be upside down on that car.
If I were you I would take another test drive.

Believe me if you think Chevy owners are loyal then you have NEVER met a MOPAR owner. Many will tell you "If it ain't MOPAR it ain't sh*t" or "MOPAR or No car!"

I have NEVER met a more loyal group of auto enthusiest thatn the MOPAR clan. The Chevy and Ford boys are a drop in a bucket in comparison.

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap, so now you're attacking the shool I went to!?? What the [******] is wrong with you people. I'm damn proud to graduate *** Laude w/ a degree from the second oldest learning institution in our country. I worked my ass of at a school most of you dumb asses couldn't even get into. Do some research. The average SAT's there are almost 1400 now and you'd better have over a 3.7 to even apply.

You all think people don't buy vipers b/c their scared or don't have enough money. Frankly, it was a cheaply made car w/ a big ass motor. You ask why people hop up vettes to meet a viper. When I'm done w/ my vette it'll spank a viper in every category and cost less too. I like to mod cars so even if I bought a viper it wouldn't stay stock.

I'm not brand loyal at all... I don't love chevys at all. I've had some problems with the car that I never had with my mustang. But, there is no other car on the market like a Z06 and I love it. If I had had a good experience in the Viper I'd have posted that too, but it really sucked. Many of you people are morons. And what the hell is wrong w/ posting my cosmetic mods. I'm sure if this sight gave you more sig room you'd all list it too.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap, so now you're attacking the shool I went to!?? What the [******] is wrong with you people. I'm damn proud to graduate *** Laude w/ a degree from the second oldest learning institution in our country. I worked my ass of at a school most of you dumb asses couldn't even get into. Do some research. The average SAT's there are almost 1400 now and you'd better have over a 3.7 to even apply.

You all think people don't buy vipers b/c their scared or don't have enough money. Frankly, it was a cheaply made car w/ a big ass motor. You ask why people hop up vettes to meet a viper. When I'm done w/ my vette it'll spank a viper in every category and cost less too. I like to mod cars so even if I bought a viper it wouldn't stay stock.

I'm not brand loyal at all... I don't love chevys at all. I've had some problems with the car that I never had with my mustang. But, there is no other car on the market like a Z06 and I love it. If I had had a good experience in the Viper I'd have posted that too, but it really sucked. Many of you people are morons. And what the hell is wrong w/ posting my cosmetic mods. I'm sure if this sight gave you more sig room you'd all list it too.

Hey man your opinions are your opinions and you are entitled to think how ever you like. Does not bother me at all.

Mean while I will just stick with my old Gen I Viper.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i couldnt get into there, what is an s.a.t. hell i cant even spell,but on the other hand, i dont know about cheap. 16k for an oem hood,14k for another engine hell more then a 01 z06 is worth. and all you got is a hood and the engine. your vette will be owned if you come into my territory. morons? come on now. im i nice guy.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Cobra you come after talking up on your vette forum which I don't even need to paraphrase because anyone can go over there and hear you act like some big tough guy..YOU MARY!

COBRA SAYS ON THE VETTE FORUM..

I knew it'd make those guys a bit angry, but I was so dissapointed w/ the car today (I've loved them since I was in middle-school, and this was my first drive) that I was really shocked. I wanted to see what a viper owner had to say about the shortcomings I found. I could have re-worded it, but I just pasted it over after I posted here. I did take out part where I called the car a real piece of s'hit. BUT, seriously for $80,000 it is! I don't give anyone a bad name, am not a troll, and like all fast cars. Those viper guys have been unfirendly since day one when I started posting over there w/ a vette. They'd just look at my sig and say stupid s'hit.

S

SUN RA KAT

The College of William & Mary class of 2003 (310th!)

AND The last line of his sig. By the way this is a SMALL college!

If you go to the William & Mary site you'll find out the graduating class only had 309 graduates for 2003!

Go figure.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those viper guys have been unfirendly since day one when I started posting over there w/ a vette. They'd just look at my sig and say stupid s'hit.

you misspelled unfriendly too, never thought the day would come when i got to correct someones grammer,especially a rhodes scholar

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell is the matter with this loon!!!!!!!!! :confused:
The doorknob doesn't even realize what the hell he said or did, better get GMs backin' money to beat a viper you dope!!!
As my dad would say,,,, "go pizz up a rope you dumbazz"!!!!

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All that comes to mind with the Vette drivel spewing forth is that this man is nothing more than an American Ricer. Stay tuned for next weeks episode: When Hayabusa owners think they are the ******* because their 10k bikes will out-accellerate a 80k Viper! :p

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
COBRA DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND JUST LEAVE AND NEVER COME
BACK TO THIS SITE. AFTER READING YOUR POST IN THE VET FORM
YOU POSTED THIS TO ONLY PISS OFF VIPER OWNERS ON THIS SITE.
I FOR ONE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR REMARKS, I HAD 4 VET'S
BEFORE MY VIPER AND NEVER TRIED TO PISS ANYONE OFF BECAUSE
I DIDN'T LIKE THE CAR THEY WERE DRIVING, WHICH IS WHAT YOU
ARE TRYING TO DO HERE. NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE IN LIFE SOMEONE
WILL ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING A LITTLE BIT BETTER, DEAL WITH
IT. AS FAR AS ATTACKING YOU, HEY READ YOUR POST IN THE VET
FORM, THAT WAS YOUR FULL INTENT FROM THE START. I HOPE YOU
ARE REMOVED FROM THIS FORM UNTIL YOU CAN ACT LIKE A ADULT
AND NOT THE CHILD YOU ARE SHOWING US HERE. GROW UP!!!!!!

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra say..
1. First I was shocked w/ how cheap and ugly the interior is! Makes the vette look like a Bently. The layout and dash design was butt compared to the vette (which has gerat ergonomics and looks IMO

You bring that your modded car up here and we'll have a good ole time..You hear!
Well if its okay for you to mod your stock clunker then us viper owners can too....

207011_11-med.jpg

207014_14-med.jpg

Any Carbon Fiber in that luxury sports car of yours..
207scan00012-med.jpg

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh look, he went back cryed to his mommy....

Cobra says on vette forum..
I'd love to have a second go around in one that I could fit in, but now those guys are posting my sig over and making fun of me for having cosmetic mods in my sig ***! Also, I listed the problems I've had w/ my car and they're going off on that. Lastly they've started to make fum of my school. This last bit really pissed me off. I worked my butt off the past four years and it irks me to get put down for going to a "small" school that majority of people couldn't even come close to getting into. Oh well I'm done over there... For awhile!
Also, they've all gotten off track talking about how an auto c5 is this and that and for women. I was talking about my Z06 compared to a viper, that is all.
_______