My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it 480RWHP or 463RWHP?

"I raced a modded '03 Cobra in my car. He was making 455-461RWHP to my 372."

When you ran the 03 Cobra, what was your HP/weight and what was his HP/weight?

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it 480RWHP or 463RWHP?

"I raced a modded '03 Cobra in my car. He was making 455-461RWHP to my 372."

When you ran the 03 Cobra, what was your HP/weight and what was his HP/weight?

It was 463 with 4.10s and 470 with 3.42s. 480 was made by my main competiton (Cartek). They are at 480 now...

At about a 600lbs delta between the two cars, do the math.

3250/372=8.73
3850/455=8.46

On paper, the Cobra has the advantage, or does it. On of the things that number doesn't take into account in the advantage in the gearing of the M12 transmission in the Z06 over the standard gearing in the T56. The effect is basiccaly with the 3.42 gears in the Z06, its like having 3.90s in 1st and 2nd. Therefore, the car launches better. In both my race with that Cobra, along with my race with the SRT-10 I was able to outlaunch them, and hold that advantage till well after the quarter mile. Go from a roll and remove that advantage, and the tables turned, and I lost to both cars.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JRod, I can understand you choosing a vette. They do make a much better daily driver since they are a compromise car and most people can only afford one vehicle. Vettes and Mustangs are neat cars and I've owned both. The best scenario though is to buy the ultimate sports car (Viper) and drive the vette as a ******. I plan on buying another vette in the spring as my ****** since they are a decent ride, certainly nothing wrong with them but in no way do they compare to the viper for all out track performance and looks! Different league altogether.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
listen dude. im 6 2inch and weight 170 and im 30. i have no problems driving it. you could adjuxs the pedals and the seat back and you will be fine. ya its a bit of a pain to get out but u get used to it after a while. if you are really tall you shouldnt have a problem looking over the front of the car. a vette please....no comparison at all. i thiink the interior of the viper is great. very simple and race inspired. the attention you get is also amazing. every where i go people pull out cameras and their cell phones with cameras just to take a picture of it. i dont think anyone would do that for a vette or even a porsche since the viper is a very very rare car and you barely see em anywhere. oh ya another thing....its def an all around american muscle babe mobile. at your age it would be the best. i wish i owned this car when i was 22. its the icing on the cake. if you ever meet a girl and you go pick her up with a viper...prepare yourself for a long hot night guaranteed. its really a pleasure to drive and own. you will def make lots of friends. its eye candy for the ladies:) :2tu:

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh ya and the other thing is. its always a vette driver or stang owners that want to race us viper owners. what are you guys trying to prove??? you are no match in any way. looks,price and horse power blow vettes even with charges away. i never bother to race a vette ever. no competion. its no match whats so ever. if another v10, v12 or even a street bike pulls up then i will smoke up some of my rear $500 rubbers for a few sec of excitement....not for a vette..... not worth it.....i know you trying to intimidate us but you really not. we still are in a class and coolness of our own.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3250/372=8.73
3850/455=8.46
"On paper, the Cobra has the advantage, or does it"

You are the one who said that the weight delta was the reason you beat the Cobra every time. Now you say it's your gear ratio?

I can tell you that the guys who drag race their Vipers are probably using 3.0 to 3.7 and they wouldn't go faster with a 3.90 rear.

Why do you think you launch better with a higher overall ratio?
Why would you need to multiply torque in 1st and 2nd?

I'm still having trouble with you saying earlier that you had a bad, spin and slide launch and came up with a 1.45 60'.
What's a good 60' for you?

I'm still having trouble with 10.5 et when you only claim 463RWHP.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point I am trying to make is that on paper if you point out one car making 372 RWHP and the other car making 455-461RWHP then automatically one would figure its an easy kill. But like I said, that doesn't take into account gearing or weight. If you don't think weight and gearing has anything to do with how fast your car is, then you need to read a bit more on some basic physics, und bone up a bit on your drag racing.

If you really want to prove me wrong, take your Viper to the drag strip and take off in 4th gear since gearing has no affect on acceleration anyway. You'll save the time of having to shift that car, and you should run an even better time, right???

Like I said before, look at 600 lbs at 8 lbs per HP. That means the Mustang need 75 more RWHP just to be even... 455-75=380, 461-75=386. My car made 372, like I said. From a roll I lost by around 1 - 1.5 lengths which you'd expect if you were racing identical cars and one was making 10-15 more RWPH.

As for the gearing, heres a little something for you to chew on. Here is the gearing of a standard M12 vs the M6

(2.97/2.07/1.43 vs 2.66/1.78/1.30)
M12
2.97*4.10=12.177
2.97*3.42=10.1574
M6
2.66*3.90=10.374
2.66*4.10=10.906

One of the guys I know with a regular C5 is having an issue right now. His car with an M6 and a 3.90 gear will only 60' a 1.50-1.52s normally he is @ 15psi launching at 6k+. Well, if you look at his gearing, he is basically no much off what my stock Z06 has with 3.42s. Now, you put 4.10s in the Z06 tranny together, you get really deep gears. That gets you out of the gate.

I don't drag race Vipers, but one of the considerations I would have on drag racing one of them is what RPM I want to go through the traps at. I'd set my rear gearing accordingly.

For instance, if I sprayed the car I am running now I would need to go up to a 3.90 or a 3.73 or I'd be out of motor around the 1000' mark.

As for 60' times, again let me try to clarify that for you. I am pretty well tuned into my car and what it does. I can feel wheelspin in the car, if you drag race acar, you can relate to what I am talking about. An ET Street or a slick can spin without blowing your run. Its not like a drag radial where if it spins your run is done.

Let me give you an example. In my stock Z06, I ran it with the Et Streets. I would launch @ 6600 RPM with 10 psi in the tires and dead hook. When I say dead hook, I mean when I unclutched the car, all it does it hit the tires and goes. But, the tires grip so well, and the car simply doesn't have enough gear or enough HP to use all that traction. So, the best ET I could turn like that was a 11.8. So, I started tuning the car to have some spin. This would allow the car to stay up in the powerband during a launch. I would jack the pressure up in my Et Streets to between 18-21 PSI. I would spin the tires out 20-30 feet and 60' a full tenth quicker than I did when the car was dead hooking, and my ET Dropped .2 to the 11.5-11.6 range.

Now, go out and read all the thread on folks who ran their cars on the same night @ HRP that I did. The track had just been resurfaced with new concrete to the 1/8 mile, and new asphalt to the second turn off. No one had run on the track, and it was still a very "green" surface. The right lane was hooking better than the left. Sure my car 60' ok, but you could still feel the car spin, and on one pass, the car moved to the right enough that I you could see it. As for the 60' times, I don't know that a Vette with an IRS can 60' much harder without starting to break the driveline. But, I have friends with much milder combos 60' even harder than me in F-Bodys. A friend has a relatively mild C2 cam, and a small stall with 3.23 gears in his car and has 60' a best of a 1.38. 1.38 is amazing, but its because his combo is completely dialed for that combination.

Take the time to watch the video of the car running, and give me your feedback then.

Again, I never claimed to run a 10.5 on 463RWHP. The car has been a best so far of a 10.82. My main competiton has run a 10.58 and a 10.59 on around 480RWHP

Here is the thread (with comments from John Myrick) about me running his new SRT-10 with my stock Z06 (ok, stock with the airbox lid off).

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31663

J-Rod listed his excuses so here's mine... I banged the rev limiter a few times myself. I was waiting for the cool little shift light to turn red. I soon found out that waiting for it to turn red was just a little too late. Luckily, I could hear him stuttering off his limiter too. Don't forget J-Rod's car is not stock. He convieniently forgets to mention the noticeable gain in rear wheel HP he gets from the "zip-tie" air box mod. I think he says it was worth 15 rwhp. Isn't that a car length? That's more than I got from my $700 titanium/carbon fiber super duper whatch-a-ma-call-it on my Z06. And I could say that my Z06 is still stock?

And before all you Z06 guys start thinking you can kick my butt, remember J-Rod's figured out how to make his car scoot down the track quite a bit faster than the average joe.

Oh and I almost forgot... I didn't even press the accelerator all the way to the floor. Yea, that's it. Not even full throttle. I didn't want to crumple the carpet, you know. Yea and my foot hurt or something... and a bug flew in my eye. Yea, that's it. A bug flew in my eye.

Perfect example of how much extra horsepower it takes to win a street race. Even with a little more than 70 more rear wheel horsepower, the Viper could not do much damage to the Z06.

Again, feel free to question me on any of it. I have nothing to hide, and I don't mind proving any of it on the street, or at the track...

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios - I agree that the Viper is ceratinly a looker, and that on the street you certainly get a lot of attention in the car. John Myrick has commented to me on the same thing. He drives a Viper and Z06 and I would say that he gets a lot more attenion in the GTS than the Z06. I would not argue that point with you. I will say that my car does get a lot of looks. The one thing I notice is that everyone keys into those little badges on the side of the car. There is always a lot of pointing fingers and animated conversation in the car when they see them...

As for the Vette being outclassed and outpowered. I would have to disagree with you on that one.

Cratica - The Z06 is my weekend fun car. Its not my daily driver. Like you, I am a Texan, so a pickup truck is my daily driver.

I have a shop full of cars right now, its one of them. They are all play toys. But, I understand where you are coming from. John's wife uses the Z06as one of their daily drivers. I would consider many of the Vettes to be a compromise car. Lots of options lower HP, simply all about the **** factor. And if thats what you want, ok... As for me, I wanted the lighest, fastest, stiffest, best handling vette, with the most HP I could get my hand on. I have that, and I am pretty happy with it...

Like I said earlier its all about what works for you. Folks bought the Viper for many of the reasons listed here. They are, in fact, very good reasons. I would not consider the Viper to be a bad decision. But, unlike many of you, I wouldn't consider the Vette to be a bad decision either. But thats what makes the world go round.

As for the all out track performance. Well, you might be suprised....

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read all this crap and noticed that someone stated that they would like for me to tell them what my opinion of my stock GTS was compared to my C4 Corvette.

I can sum it up by stating what I told the dealer I purchased the car from, John Gastman at Roanoke. After my first track day at TWS, John Gastman asked what I thought of the GTS compared to the Corvette and M3 that I typically tracked. My response was that that the GTS was a "Parade Queen". The car was a disappointment. I was not impressed with the acceleration and was very disapointed with the brakes. When stock, the big Viper engine is lazy and slow reving and the brakes are an embarassment. After speaking with one of the faster Viper drivers with a lot of seat time I was told that I would probably never think the Viper would brake as well as my Corvette and M3. He also mentioned not to give up on the Viper, just learn how to drive it.

Although I was ashamed of my poor driving in the Viper, I attended a few more track days with it. I slowed down a bunch and tried to relearn how to drive. Several track events later, I finally gained respect for the Viper. With more experience I was able to match the lap times of my C4 Corvette (Lingenfelter stroker motor with Alcon brakes and BFG R1 tires). What was impressive is that I did this without changing any parts on the Viper, not even the street tires.

So there yo go, who ever asked for it. Corvettes as fun to drive and are really capable cars on the track. They can make a somewhat low skilled driver feel like they are a race car driver. They are almost idiot proof. On the other hand, I found that a Viper GTS can easily show you how poor your driving skills really are.

Come on Viper guys, wake up and see the facts. As much as I hate to admit it, a Z06 in the hands of a competent driver is a serious challenge for either a Gen II or Gen III Viper. I cannot explain why you do not see this reflected in magazine testing, but I have witnessed this personally.

But there is a solution, spend less time arguing about it on the internet and modify the Viper. That's what I did. Problem is that a bunch of the Corvette guys modify their cars too. Including me.

I still might not be able to kick J-Rod in his nearly stock Z06, but I bet I can have fun trying. And it sure doesn't mean his car is better than mine, cause we all know it isn't. It's just a Corvette.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nicely said John.

I have only driven 1 open wheel car at mid ohio for 4 days but From driving it and owning a myriad of sports cars, the better handeling a car is, the harder it is to get to handel well. My M3 appeared to handel extremely well because it was effortless but the numbers were not that impressive. .89 skidpad. 0-60 in just about 6.0 seconds. In an open wheeled car, you will spend the whole day spinning out until you know what you are doing.

granted neither are open wheeled cars I think, in defense of the viper not handeling well, my open wheeled experience illustrates why.

A stock z06 and a stock GTS are VERY close with average drivers.

And yes GTS brakes ****. Its pretty sad when you can get out of your Excursion and get in the Viper and not notice the brakes. I use the same caution when driving both.

When I get my car back from Scott. Im doing brakes.

oh well. My .000001 cents.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. John's message was very telling.

John was comparing a Lingenfelter stroker moter and aftermarket brakes in his vette to a STOCK viper. The point is the Viper in stock form is far superior to a Vette in every way except brakes. The vette will always be just a vette. Again, you FEEL faster in a vette because it's IDIOT proof. That's why the magazine tests and all comparisons including JUSTIN BELL's PROVE the viper is in a class by itself. The viper is a driver's car, the vette is a wanna be drivers car.

A vette will always be just a vette. Live with it.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 test drive a frigging rt/10 tall boy.
#2 cheap interior, you looking for a muscle car or a caddy, look at what most people consider the ultimate muscle car, an ac/cobra.
#3 same transmission from z06 to viper/duh!
#4 you may not know how to drive if you think a z comes close to viper power, even stock.
#5 stay with the little girls car, you obviously seem better adjusted with it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jrod says,
"The point I am trying to make is that on paper if you point out one car making 372 RWHP and the other car making 455-461RWHP then automatically one would figure its an easy kill. But like I said, that doesn't take into account gearing or weight. If you don't think weight and gearing has anything to do with how fast your car is, then you need to read a bit more on some basic physics, und bone up a bit on your drag racing."

Yes grasshopper I do understand physics.
I said compare the HP/weight. It look's like the Cobra had you in a comparison of horsepower to weight.
See, I do understand.

Now, I missed the part where you told me what would be a good 60' time for you. You said you had a bad, spin and slide launch and came up with a 1.45 60'.

You are telling us that you consistently beat the Cobra, that has a better HP/weight, because you have a higher gear ratio in 1st and 2nd.
I don't think the guys who race their Vipers use the highest ratio rear that they can get.
Do you think a Viper with a 3.73 will get a better 60' than a Viper with a 3.55?

Perhaps the V10 has a little more useable torque at lower rpm than your C5.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all know how inferior corvette owners feel around Vipers, by the fact that they won't make eye contact with you on the road.
WHAT'S WITH THAT? :D

We are both driving AMERICAN muscle cars and they act as if Vipers don't interest them. Like THEY'VE already seen a dozen on the road that day.
I laugh my a$$ off every time it happens.

Don't hate me because I'M driving the real muscle car. :2tu:

2000 GTS Steel Grey :usa:
Six piston Baer claws up front, front brakes in back
Quaife Differential, GKH half shafts, alloy fly wheel,
short throw shifter, polished intakes, K&N air filters, Optima battery,
Out braking Corvettes. Priceless :cool:

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't hate me because I'M driving the real muscle car. :2tu:
Out braking Corvettes. Priceless :cool:

Out braking vettes? It can't be a muscle car.

Muscle cars have blowers sticking out of the hood and drum brakes. Your car seems to be the opposite. :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........how inferior corvette owners feel around Vipers, by the fact that they won't make eye contact with you on the road.
WHAT'S WITH THAT?

......when you drive an 03 SRT-10, they'll give you the "Corvette Wave !" by mistake......

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........how inferior corvette owners feel around Vipers, by the fact that they won't make eye contact with you on the road.
WHAT'S WITH THAT?

......when you drive an 03 SRT-10, they'll give you the "Corvette Wave !" by mistake......

Thats a good one Jon. I always give the corvette wave. Its funny how hard alot of them try not to look.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wonder if they (vette owners) go to the mustang and ricer sites and do the same thing. Do they really feel that bad about their decision to buy one that they feel a strong need to "prove" they can almost keep up?

I personally think it's an identity crisis. For decades, it used to be vettes were the thing to have. Now they have to fight it out with the cobras for 2nd place. Vipers came along and have been King ever since, no denying that. Now, the last couple of years, the cobra has taken the "best bang for the buck" title away. Next year, the GT40 comes out and the vette falls to yet another slot down the pole. Vipers will be either 1st or possibly 2nd. Gee, maybe we'll be acting like *some* vette owners! (gosh I hope not!)

funny stuff really!

:)

BUFFEDCAMEL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys, i still dream of owning a viper. i don't care what anyone says if you like a car you buy it. if you don't you make up excuses and hate on it. i own a 04 zo6 lemans edition. i love that car. i didn't buy i viper because...well i have to admit i'm a little scared of it/intimidated by it and it was a little out of my price range. there is the coolest guy next to my home town that has a graphite viper with the lic plate WANTED. that is one cool guy and an absolutely beautiful car. i got his picture at bel air hs. he saw me taking his picture and asked if i got a good shot. i was wearing my dads bright red dodge jacket. i was going to ask him to take a pic next to my new vette but i didn't think of it until he was driving away. i was a little shocked to see a viper. one day i will have a viper and a vette. peace

kh24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you guys find JRods times hard to believe than your really gonna have a problem with my times

[email protected] with a car that last dynoed at 462rwhp
The car weighed over 3330lbs with me in it on that run (steel rollbar, 3/4 tank gas..opps)

Here is a full breakdown of the slip
8.87---990ft.

Heres a video too...right click and save as http://home.comcast.net/~redc5movie3/joe1069.mpg

And yes this is just from a bolt on vette with a heads and cam packge. 100% stock bottom end. Not coming here to brag but just to back up what JRod said.

As far as cobra4b...i was hoping he would have bought the viper so you guys could have him ;)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Myrick is finally here, maybe we can go 20 pages now. Maybe Myrick can help....I just cannot chew on this 463/480 hp deal, whichever it is and not regurgitate when I hear a 10.8 time. That is blindingly fast for that HP, no matter how good the guy is. The basis of experience for what a stock Z06 can do is huge and well documented and NOBODY goes that fast stock. And I'm troubled by one other thing, no two other things, this guy has posted NO time slips, and a careful reading of the so many times referenced bibliography on Corvette forum has his buddies saying stuff like I believe you dude but I don't know how your're going a full second faster than me if you're stock and that was about an 11.0 something time. My reading of this whole thing ad nauseum is twofold...jrod must be a great driver? Maybe, but I'm leaning to....no way that car is anywhere near stock if the guys telling the truth about the times. We in the Viper community have had many instances of guys running WAY faster than we thought possible and then finding out later that the guy was secretly spraying or had other non identified mods. I just WILL not buy 10.8 with that HP.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely Lee. Seems to be a lot of phantom times floating around the net. It's pretty easy to get them started. Here's mine. I got a completely stock 96 viper rt with 491 hp and I run 8.43. I've done mid-8's plenty of times. I know everyone else is 4 seconds slower than me, but hey, I'm just that good, I'm one with the car. My main competition is XXXvip, he's got a '93 and he runs 7.9's, 101% stock.

I can even post track slips, I know photoshop real well.

Be the car, be the car... be one with the car, ah ummmmm ah ummm....

Heck, here's another. My best friends got a '03 cobra, he's 101% stock too, he goes 9.1's all day long. Seen him do it too, I'm his witness and I know he hasn't touched his car because I have a hidden video cam in his garage. I guess that still makes the viper top dog, the cobra 2nd dog and the vette 3rd on the totem pole. Who needs real scientific tests anyways.

:) Just having some fun!

Buffedcamel - nice post. Best of luck with your z06. Sounds like a real nice ride. Hope you get your viper one day too.