My First Viper

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've always wanted one and here she is, my 2002 RT/10. I'll still use the Audi as my daily driver but maintenance on that thing is so high.

You must be registered for see images

It was a pretty big adventure to get the car. I agreed on a deal with the seller the day he listed the car, but had to wait two weeks for him to come back from vacation. I made all the arrangements (financials, inspection, etc.) and arranged for a friend to drive up with me to PA from MD to buy the car. Everything goes fine and we go into the dealership to find their notary (who I had made arrangements to be there beforehand).
Well, it seems the ambulance that left 30 minutes ago was their notary who just had a stroke! They had another notary on premises but she had a broken hand so couldn't sign!

I really didn't want to wait another day and drive the additional 3.5 hours two extra times so my friend left me in PA and the seller and I went to find a hotel. 5 hotels were sold out and I ended up at a motel straight out of a horror movie. I ate all-you-can-eat crab legs at the place next door, drinking beers with a guy who grew up where I live. Then I caught a ride with a family to the movie theaters and watched 3:10 to Yuma. Had to kill the time somehow! It was late when I was headed out of the movie theater and was having a hard time getting a ride back but luckily I ran into the bartender from the crab place and she drove me back.

I couldn't sleep at all during the next - even had a dream the seller crashed the car and I had to find a ride back to MD. We found a title and tags place in the morning and the drive home was pretty decent. I'm glad the car's home though, can't wait to drive more frequently!

Thanks to PAvenomRT/10 who met me at his dealership for the tech inspection. His input was tremendous throughout the process. I'll also mention that Chuck Tator is every bit the nice and knowledgeable guy that everyone keeps touting him to be!

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your beautiful RT purchase...what a nice story. Glad you got the Viper finally!! Great pics of both your cars...welcome aboard!!! ~juli

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats. I recently bought my first. You won't be disappointed!

V

Venomiss

Congratulations on your new Viper!:2tu:
You have a very active area for Vipers-this may help if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.vamdviperclub.org/

I am sure others from your area will be chiming in to give you a nice welcome!
( and I liked 3:10 to Yuma....an Elmore Leonard fan)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the Viper Nation Jason! I've updated your user title from Enthusiast to Viper Owner, make sure you put your VIN in your profile (only the site admins can see it, so no privacy concerns!).

Now is a GREAT time to join the VCA. I believe the dues are prorated to $60 for the remainder of the year (don't hold me to that, but I believe that's right). You can call Kim Vogt at VCA HQ to register. The number is 1-800-998-1110.

Hope you can make the upcoming Fall Cruise...see the link on the front page of the VA/MD club web-site Venomiss mentioned above for details!

OP
OP
B

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new Viper!:2tu:
You have a very active area for Vipers-this may help if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.vamdviperclub.org/

I am sure others from your area will be chiming in to give you a nice welcome!
( and I liked 3:10 to Yuma....an Elmore Leonard fan)

I thought that movie was very solid. Good acting all around, nice character advancement.

Nice car. Add the black stripes. Looks really good with red.

Thanks. I like stripes, but personally find red to be left alone. Thanks for posting those top photos, I'm probably going to order one soon.

Congrats and welcome to the Viper Nation Jason! I've updated your user title from Enthusiast to Viper Owner, make sure you put your VIN in your profile (only the site admins can see it, so no privacy concerns!).

Now is a GREAT time to join the VCA. I believe the dues are prorated to $60 for the remainder of the year (don't hold me to that, but I believe that's right). You can call Kim Vogt at VCA HQ to register. The number is 1-800-998-1110.

Hope you can make the upcoming Fall Cruise...see the link on the front page of the VA/MD club web-site Venomiss mentioned above for details!

I'll probably sign up. Busy with a move at the moment - I've hardly driven the car! Well, 400 miles in a week but that's nothing. :)

Congrats and Welcome Jason!!:2tu::drive:

Quite the adventure getting your Viper!:omg:

Join the VCA!:cool:

Thanks so much Chuck for all the times I bugged you for VIN lookups! :)

Welcome aboard. Hard to sleep? You will get up in the middle of the night to go peek in the garage. :D

Hehe yeah I've had to keep myself from going down once in a while. :)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when do I get switched to Viper Owner:(

Per your profile, your Viper's VIN number is, and I quote "Getting one soon". :D

Update your profile, and I'll take care of ya. Your VCA Member number indicates the same thing....have YOU joined the club yet? :D :D :D

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. As an avid Viper enthusiast and on behalf of all the other Viper owners here, I want to remind you to respect the snake. Don't go too hard in the corners as you may swap your front with your rear. Snake Bite as they refer to it, is common in most new Viper owners who don't watch what they're doing. The snake WILL want to try to bite you every chance it'll get. We don't want to see another damaged Viper in the registry, do we guys and gals?

OP
OP
B

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh man, this thing does little to inspire confidence in the rain. Didn't mean to get caught out in the rain, so driving home I was as careful as I could be.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 98 GTS I also had a B5 S4 so I had the Audi/Viper combo going for awhile too! Three years later and the Viper is still here, but the Audi is gone.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car. Two things:

Don't gas it in a corner, the back end comes around quick on these cars.

When you close your hood, look underneath & put your hands over the spot that the hood hings attach. You can crack your hood by putting your hands on the front & closing.

I have the same car, 2002 Red RT. + a few mods.
Andy