My Viper Wreckage.

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone Well a few weekends ago my 94 Viper was crashed and totaled.

I need some advise here are my options from the Insurance company.
1)they pay me $12,500 and I can take the Hard top off.

2)they pay me $11,900 and I get the car back as salvage.

***EDIT EDIT*** The reason the payout is really low is b/c the car was totaled in 2004 and someone rebuilt it and got a clean title for it. I feel like a fool b/c I didn't for a carfax before buying the car. I made that mistake when buying this. ***end EDIT***

It has frame damage along with the cosmic damage. The motor and trans are still good. Car has 30,000 miles.

I was thinking buying it back and trying to sell whole car to someone who wants it to part out or they may need a motor trans combo. I just know I do not want to deal with parting the car out myself.

Any positive advise would be great.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

So what do you guys and gals think?

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call JonB at Partsrack STAT on this...he's been very helpful with Viper owners in your situation and has often helped them get more money out of the insurers. Call now!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is $12,500 based on ? Tell the insurance company to pay for the repairs or give you full value and then see what they want to do with the car.

OP
OP
S

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added some info to the above post. I forgot some important details. In 2004 the Car was totaled and rebuilt. When buying I didn't wait for a carfax that is a mistake I made.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell them 25,sounds more like it-insurance companies will try you on for size

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Take the 11,900 and the whole car as salvage --- seems simple enough.

Tough deal about buying a salvage car and not knowing it --- out of curiosity did it come out of Florida?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it seems to me that before it was wrecked that it would be worth more than 12k

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a gen 1 with gen2 hood and wheels. after the 2004 wreck it wasnt worth a lot of money IMO, do as bill said, take the 11900 and car as salvage. its pretty much what it was when you got it.

but i bet JonB at partsrack can help you get more for it anyways.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all of you all looking for vipers on the cheap the insurance companies are doing the same. Cheap cars equal cheap payouts.

OP
OP
S

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the 11,900 and the whole car as salvage --- seems simple enough.

Tough deal about buying a salvage car and not knowing it --- out of curiosity did it come out of Florida?

the car Came from New york to ohio. is all.

looks like a gen 1 with gen2 hood and wheels. after the 2004 wreck it wasnt worth a lot of money IMO, do as bill said, take the 11900 and car as salvage. its pretty much what it was when you got it.

but i bet JonB at partsrack can help you get more for it anyways.

Yes man I keep forgetting things in 2007 someone backed in to me and put a nice whole in my hood and I got a gts style hood made for it. I could have easily sold for $19-22k before totaled with the history. At least I think I could have. Car ran great.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How bad is the frame damage. Id say as bill and plum stated, take the money and car then part it out if you can or sell. Probably get more by parting out. As the prices of these cars drop because no one wants to pay for them, so will the pay out.

OP
OP
S

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I myself havnt got to check the car out yet. I am in North Carolina, I get out of the army Sunday. So once I get home I can check it out get that first hand look. I told the insurance I wouldn't accept anything till I can see my car with my own eyes. The car hit a tree going about 35-40mph spinning.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I myself havnt got to check the car out yet. I am in North Carolina, I get out of the army Sunday. So once I get home I can check it out get that first hand look. I told the insurance I wouldn't accept anything till I can see my car with my own eyes. The car hit a tree going about 35-40mph spinning.

So you weren't driving it when the accident occured?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say keep the car and take the repair money. The $600 difference makes it a no brainer. Try parting it out yourself and put the money towards another Viper.

OP
OP
S

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to use the info provided here to talk to the insurance and see if they can give me more. Either way I am planning on buying it back, I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

I was not driving. My brother was who is more trustworthy then myself and anyone else I know. He was trying to avoid someone that pulled out in front of him which he did but found a tree instead... we both agree that from here on out we will hit cars so there insurance can pay for it.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious- did you have stated value on the policy? I have that and it is set at 40k but I'm not sure if it means sh*t.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seth, sorry for your loss, take the money and put the car on ebay or craigs list and hopefully get $10K or better for the salvage, you'll have $22K and a $1K hardtop, $23K for a salvage '94 w/30K miles is right. Spend 3K-5K more and get a 15K-20K mi mint '94. Good luck, Mike

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car with salvage title before accident should have been worth 20K or so. Sounds like they are really lowballing you. They sure don't value the wrecked car as being worth much.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seth, sorry for your loss, take the money and put the car on ebay or craigs list and hopefully get $10K or better for the salvage, you'll have $22K and a $1K hardtop, $23K for a salvage '94 w/30K miles is right. Spend 3K-5K more and get a 15K-20K mi mint '94. Good luck, Mike

Go with Retanrt10's advice. Very good advice.

Also, how manyyears have you been in the Army? Let me guess, your insurance company was USAA?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since they were obviously not insuring the car for full value they should be refunding 1/2 of your premiums back too, right? They charged you premiums based on paying out 2x that amount if anything happened.

OP
OP
S

SethViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup usaa is who I have for insurance I have only had them for about 4 months. My payment seems to be cheap, I pay $70 for full coverage on the viper and GLH omni. I had state farm before that.

I was in the army for 4 years. So time to move on for me.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to use the info provided here to talk to the insurance and see if they can give me more. Either way I am planning on buying it back, I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

I was not driving. My brother was who is more trustworthy then myself and anyone else I know. He was trying to avoid someone that pulled out in front of him which he did but found a tree instead... we both agree that from here on out we will hit cars so there insurance can pay for it.

Its hard to smash someone . I have the same opinion about letting the person in fault pay for the wreck by smashing them. But when put in that situation. Its your natural instinct to try and avoid a wreck . I have been in that situation a few times .

Hoop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stated Value... Not that great

Stated value is not always a great idea. If you wreck your car and do 50000 of damage they will repair it... Can you image how bad that repair time and result will be?

Be carefull about your excitement. You'll be wishing they valued it at 45k and totalled it after a moderate crash

I just got 45.5k for my crashed 00 gts with 14.4k. I personally believe it was repairable, but I was happy to take the money... Got knows it would have been "repairable" against the option of a 90k payout.