Neck Brace or Hans Device?

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy a neck brace collar and/or a Hans device. I thought I heard there was also an ergonomic neck collar. If so does anyone have any info about it.
Thx

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SPARCO makes the best neck collar. Actually made of 7 progessive-firmness component layers that absorb energy at predictable rates. About $79 retail.

Many neck collars from Simpson, OMP, TeamTech, etc etc. are under $50. {I'd sell you a TT for $43)

The HANS (trademark)device requires your helmet be sent in, about a 6-8 week lead time, and $900 - $1300 dollars for an upright seat like Viper..up to $2500 for F1.

A new company is currently under SFI testing on an upgraded neck and head restraint (NHRD) Testing involves sled-test crash simulation. Will not be avialble for 90-days or so. Price point BELOW HANS. Stay tuned.

Reaction score
A Neck collar offers support to reduce fatigue and impact stress. The collars we use while karting have a projection that goes down the spine offering support when the helmet/head move back. Helmet City sells collars, gloves, shoes, restraints, suits, etc. Comparing HANS vs a collar is like comparing a lap belt to a 5 point harness. The lap belt lest the upper body move around the pelvic bone and if unlucky submarine. A 5 point restraint holds the body to the seat. The HANS holds the head and body together the collar allows the head to go forward and back pivoting from the neck collar. High speed impact great huge g forces that separate the head from the body breaking the neck. Instant death typical result.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 160 miles FAAAST at Pocono yesterday wearing a HANS for the first time. After the first few laps I forgot it was there. It was excellent and actually helped with fatigue as do the collars. I was most concerned with it getting in the way if I needed to get out and also the potential for less visibality.

I got the NASCAR quick release option which disengages the collar from the helmet by pulling 2 straps. This makes the collar fall behind you with the belts and should not get in your way.

As for visability I didn't notice a problem unless someone comes to talk to you at the window.

I will not go out on a track in the drivers seat without it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper