Need a little hell with a wheel bearing

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 02 GTS the right rear wheel bearing is gettig bad little play in it. Don't really want a pay 500+ for a new bearing was wondering about the dodge Dakota bearing. has any of you guys used them just wondering what year Dakota fits... Might be ally cheaper then the factory bearing! Thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not personally replaced Viper hubs; but I have researched the issue, and a thread on another forum confirms what I also found. The cross reference for the Timken branded hub and bearing assembly, part # 513109, is the same for a 2002 Viper rear hub as is listed for a 1996 Dodge Dakota 4WD V8 Front hub . In the other thread, actual users reported that they have used that hub. In previous threads, some good Viper tech guys have recommended torquing the hub nuts to 250 lb-ft as all that might be necessary. This is very similar to what is recommended on another car that I drive that uses the same type hub assembly on the rear (i.e., After some years of usage experience, the factory torque spec was found to be too low.)

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so your saying to re torque the wheel bearing to 250.. See if that takes the play out of it. and if not a 96 dd v8 4x4 will work!! thanks!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so your saying to re torque the wheel bearing to 250.. See if that takes the play out of it. and if not a 96 dd v8 4x4 will work!! thanks!

Make sure you ask for the FRONT hub for the Dakota if you are buying OEM. (But, if you buy the Timken branded part, it is listed as the same part# and price for both vehicles at aftermarket suppliers, so you can look up and order Viper rear or Dakota 4WD front.)

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got ya!! And camber setting no idea I take it in every year and get it alighnment done since the tolerances are so tight on these cars!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, happy...you have answered my question since you are going with stock settings (presumably with sport shims in place). I have seen some prematue, recurrent failures in front bearings in late Gen II cars where owner dialed in negative camber in 2+ degree range for track use but also drove many, many miles on the street with same settings thus overloading one race of the twin race bearing. We calculated that the loads to and from track in this manner (100 miles round trip) were more detrimental than the track laps. SKF folks agreed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960