Need help for purchasing an American SRT

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear All, I really need help. I had a situation with my 03 and looking to buy 04 or 05. I’m living in Canada and looking to purchase my SRT in USA seeing the difference in price.

I need to be sure 100% that if the car has a licensed in Quebec (Canada) and that it may need to get something fixed on the warranty at some time, that it will be done by any Dodge dealer in USA. (Dodge Canada confirms me that they will NOT fix it under warranty.)

Who can confirm me this info. I sent the question to the customer service (Dodge.com) and didn’t receive any answer. Some people say that the US customs inform Dodge when the car is permanently exported and the company VOIDs the warranty. Other says that Dodge USA will fix it. Please help me so I can buy with peace of mind.

GM (USA) has kept the warranty for my H2. They fix it under the warranty even with my Canadian license, Dodge is an other company are they appear to be stricter?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler canada ***** so bad, you would probably find better help calling KIA!

You're not that far from Tators, if your car ever needs anything done just take it down there. That's what we did for our GTS. Better than dealing with the crappy dealers up here.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having lived and worked in Mexico City and taking the product to Mexico for 4 years, I can attest that the company was very good about honoring the warranty. However, taking a Dodge product made in Mexico into the U.S is a different story. Inasmuch as Canada and the U.S now have concurrent smog starts(unleaded fuel), I see no reason why the company policy would not honor it there.

OP
OP
S

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig, you are very kind and it is a good solution for minor problems. But in the case of a engine problem or for the resale value of the car, if I resell it, I prefer a permanent and not costly solution.

ART 138, heard that since 2003 or 2004 Dodge change some rules and Canada-USA maybe different.

Dodge USA told me on the phone that everything will be fine but just got the call from the dealer that got the Viper, his Dodge manager pretends that they will void the warranty.

Need to get the exact info.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how much will you be selling your 03 for? how many kms on it? thanks

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into this as well (because of the price difference) and found that the warranty is void in this situation. The same holds true to taking a vehicle to the US for resale - in some cases you could buy cars in Canada and move them to the US for huge profit. So the auto makers each have their own policies now on their warranty.
I believe you can get a brand new SRT for 99K Canadian including tax now, so it is not that much of a difference.
Anyway, if you do buy American you then have to bring it in to Canada. Not sure what equipment changes are needed now, but I have heard several horror stories.

OP
OP
S

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dhady, gave back the 03 to the dealer because they made a dent on it and I didn’t want them to repaint the wing (the car was brand new).

Knuk, you are right, one 04 was sold two weeks ago 85 000$ (Can) + taxes. But know I am looking for the same deal and from the only 2 silver 04 in Quebec one sticks to 105 000$ (Can) + taxes. I proposed to the other dealer 85 000$(Can) + taxes but he is trying to find another customer to avoid losing money from his cost. They do not take into consideration the market value.

For 96 000$ (can) + taxes I can get a brand new 05 (USA).

Is it sure 100% that the warranty is void????? From were do you get the info. And if so how Dodge USA knows that the car is permanently exported?

Does someone, import in Canada lately?

OR WHERE CAN I FOUND IN CANADA 99$ TAXES IN (SILVER)

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dhady, gave back the 03 to the dealer because they made a dent on it and I didn’t want them to repaint the wing (the car was brand new).

Knuk, you are right, one 04 was sold two weeks ago 85 000$ (Can) + taxes. But know I am looking for the same deal and from the only 2 silver 04 in Quebec one sticks to 105 000$ (Can) + taxes. I proposed to the other dealer 85 000$(Can) + taxes but he is trying to find another customer to avoid losing money from his cost. They do not take into consideration the market value.

For 96 000$ (can) + taxes I can get a brand new 05 (USA).

Is it sure 100% that the warranty is void????? From were do you get the info. And if so how Dodge USA knows that the car is permanently exported?

Does someone, import in Canada lately?

OR WHERE CAN I FOUND IN CANADA 99$ TAXES IN (SILVER)

I got the information from Chrysler Canada and had it confirmed from two of our club members - one a dealer and the other an importer/exporter of vehicles. I hope they were correct!
The SRT that I heard about for 99K was on Vancouver Island but is red, not silver. If you are interested in it I can get you in contact with our club president who has the information.
Here's a thought...how about buying an SRT in the US and then buying a warranty from a company that sells extended warranties? I don't know if it's possible but may be worth looking into.

OP
OP
S

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knuk, you got the information that the warranty is void. Do they mean that the country where you import the car will NOT HONOR (VOID) the warranty or it goes to the point that if you bring back the car in the original country it’s also void?

I see a huge difference there. Like with my H2 the Canadian dealer said if you import it from the USA you will not have any warranty but in fact I still got it when I go back in USA.

Please, can you send me a PM for the dealer in Vancouver, even if my first color is silver.

Thanks

Still need more input from everyone that can help me

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was lead to believe that the car would have no warranty at all if it was taken over the border, either way. But you may want to confirm with Chrysler Canada if they would still honor the warranty if you returned to the US for warranty work.
I will PM you our presidents contact information as he knows all the details of the SRT on Vancouver Island.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a srt-10 brand new 99k taxes in (black or red only) so if anyone knows of one let me know!!!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard someone got one at this price but the cheapest i've seen is 99k plus taxes.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a dream! It is (was?) for sale here in BC. There was also a no tax sale on all models including the Viper.

Krazy PSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig 201 MPH, it's hard to believe you are still debating the 99k tax in issue!! Oh by the way, did you ever sell the tax free bridge you had for sale!!
Knuk, I agree with you. The no tax sale on all Chrysler models was definitely not a dream!! :2tu:
----------------------------------------------------------
2003 SRT-HEFFNER TWINTURBO "1040RWHP&1135RWTQ"
1999 DIABLO VT-HEFFNER TWIN SUPERCHARGED "620hp&740tq"
2005 MERCEDES CL65-HEFFNER MODIFIED&TUNED "650HP&830TQ"
2005 MURCIELAGO ROADSTER-HEFFNER SOON TO BE TWINTURBOED
2005 AUDI A8 (STOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 20INCH HRE'S)
2003 HUMMER H2 HEFFNER WHIPPLECHARGED/6SPEED TRANSMISSION CONVERSION

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i called one day after the no tax sale ended or I could have had an srt in my drive way! :(

pitbull11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just imported a 04 fron the States, it is very easy, especially if you use a broker, i did not even have to go to the border i had the car delivered right to my home. As for modifications all you need to do is get the daytime running lights activated which as it turns out was was very as well. However there is absolutely no warranty in Canada. As for a warranty in the US , i could not get a strait answer from anyone. My understanding was that any re-call work would be covered but anything else you are on your own. As for the price it was a much better deal buying in the US

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you think you can buy a warranty from one of the companies that sells extended warranties?
Also, didn't you have to change the speedometer?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This might be a good issue for VCA and Canadian Club Members to bring up, as it seems very silly with the North American Free Trade Act, to not honor warranties in both countries.It has been a problem,and logic says it should not be,especially with the irony of so many cars being built in Canada and sent to us ( 300C for instance). With only around 100 Vipers sent to Canada a year, this should be something that could be pushed through to help us all.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedo has KM/H on it doesn't it?

Possible, but the km/h have to be the larger digits on the outside of the gauge rather than the smaller inside digits - this is why it has to be changed.
But on the new cars in the US I don't even know if they have km on the speedometer any more.
As for the free trade issue - years ago when it was introduced It was a pile of crap! It would be nice though if we could convince the gov't to allow the flow of cars across the border without penalty, but I am sure by doing that someone would be out of pocket...

pitbull11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you do not need to change the speedometer, it is dual marked, actually the MPH are the larger digits and that is ok. The only change that needs to be done is the daytime running lights. There are two ways to change the daytime running lights you can buy a new module that costs around $600 plus labour or you can luck out like i did and take it to a local dealer and they can plug some sort of computer under your dash and type in a country code for Canada and it will activate the daytime running lights. This process takes about 30 seconds and i was lucky enough to find a dealer that would do this and they did not charge me anything for it

As for free trade, gov't does not penalize a buyer for importing the car, other than getting the daytime lights activated, you pay no duty, the GST is paid at the border and the PST is paid when you insure the car,It is the dealer who penalizes the buyer by voiding the warranty The process importing is very simple. However you do need to have the car inspected before it can be insured to make sure that the car is transport Canada compliant, this inspection takes about 45 minutes and is mainly geared for older cars

As for the warranty there are several aftermarket warranties that you can buy

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedo has KM/H on it doesn't it?

Possible, but the km/h have to be the larger digits on the outside of the gauge rather than the smaller inside digits - this is why it has to be changed.
But on the new cars in the US I don't even know if they have km on the speedometer any more.
As for the free trade issue - years ago when it was introduced It was a pile of crap! It would be nice though if we could convince the gov't to allow the flow of cars across the border without penalty, but I am sure by doing that someone would be out of pocket...

We just imported a car and as long as there is KM/H on the speedo it passes. The bonus is the original Odometer is still in the car. Other than that it's DTRL's and bilingual warning stickers. You can import a Viper and have it road legal for under a grand.

pitbull11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig when you imported the car did you buy a aftermarket warranty for it

i still think it is a better deal to import. My opinion is that the factory warranty is likely to expire before anything major goes wrong , My viper is not a daily driver so i am not putting alot of km's on it

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig when you imported the car did you buy a aftermarket warranty for it

i still think it is a better deal to import. My opinion is that the factory warranty is likely to expire before anything major goes wrong , My viper is not a daily driver so i am not putting alot of km's on it

Nah we didn't buy one, to be honest it really didn't cross my mind. I wouldn't think DC would void the warranty I mean what is the point of doing that? My dad had Tator do the 998 recall on the 96 GTS and that was no problem so I am kinda doubtful this policy exists..but it could. Trying to get a straight answer out of Chrysler Canada is near impossible. The headache is worth it when you consider the savings due to how strong our dollar is now. It still baffles me why they wouldn't stand behind their product.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to import one soon as well! Just looking for the perfect car with the perfect price. I'll take my chances with the warrenty!