Need help with halfshaft problem!!!!

heatandair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the last month I have been hearing a noise coming from my rear end of my 2001 GTS. Dodge said it was normal. A couple of weeks later my passenger side half shaft breaks. Dodge will not cover it under warranty. I have 10 months and 7,000 miles on the bumper to bumper and they don’t care. They are telling me it is from beating on the car. Yes, I drive hard sometimes but not all the time. Plus I wasn’t driving it hard when it snapped. How can they turn down a bumper-to-bumper claim? Please offer advice.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dodge is screwing me!

My yellow brother I would call Bill Pemberton or Chuck Tator.
sounds like the rear end problem probably contributed to the break.
I too have a 2001 yellow; mine is RT
with 24 months and 7000 miles on it.

They should be able to point you in the correct direction.
Good luck
JIM

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about dodge screwing you! I have one of the worlds best viper techs out there in Kent, Ohio. His name is Kevin Smith and he is at Klaben Dodge. He gets cars from all over the US. While I was there last time they had a car come in from the United Kingdom! Crazy just for a tranny change and a clutch replacement. If I were you I would give them a call. He has never turned anything down that was under warranty. They are always on the ball. They even sent over a covered truck to pick the viper up because they did not want me driving it in the salt the other day, just to do a service bulletin! Great Customer Service and great peopel. P.S. The lady that takes care of the vipers is F#%king HOTTTTT :p Good luck if you have any more problems drop me a line!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay, Where is Kent Ohio? Might be worth the drive.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If a different dealership doesn't do it, (Chuck Tator's is the best, but a bit far from you), then start filing for the lemon law and get a lawyer.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It should be covered. What exactly broke? A used stock shaft could be had reasonably $$. That dealer sux....don't push it just do another dealer.

Reaction score

heatandair -

I would pursue the issue and find another dealer to remedy your problem. If all else fails, I would be more than happy to supply you with a replacement axle for just the cost of shipping.

Let us know if DLM can be of help.....

Doug

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For what it is worth, I'm on my 3rd rear end. The original diff leaked but made no noise. The second one did not leak, but it made gear noise at 50 to 80 mph. They replaced that one with no argument. The new diff is just fine.

I agree with the others, find another dealer, but make sure the new dealer doesnt have the same Chrysler rep. I doubt the dealer decided not to do the repair, it was probable the Chrysler rep. It is my understanding that the Chrysler rep has to approve warranty work.

Good luck,

Ken

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Believe me, DODGE is not screwing you: Your dealer or their zone rep (Ben Dover?) IS.

Find a new dealer AFTER you get this solved. They MUST fix this probelem especially with the prior history of reports. The refusal is probably flagged....so a new dealer will be disadvantaged.

You ARE a VCA member, right??? Dues Paid? IT MATTERS......YES IT DOES..

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know that a different dealer is going to be able to help you...I just went through the same crap with Ford for one of my company vehicles...rear end went out on it and the zone rep absolutely refused to cover it under warranty...Claimed that the vehicle was abused with 5k miles on it...Granted I know my employees drive the trucks hard but no more than any other guys do...I took it to a different Ford dealer who informed me they spoke with the zone rep and I had already been informed they were not fixing it, case closed...Long story short...Called Ford direct and they said they were standing behind the rep and his decision...Ignorant as all hell on their behalf, I buy numerous Ford work trucks every year and for a $1k repair they have lost my companies business forever...Hope you have better luck with Dodge!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Many years ago I worked as a service manager for both domestic and imports. Always a hassle with GM approving something. One thing I can say about many import dealers...they don't screw their customers.

All the reps I worked with almost didn't even care if it was abuse..they just said..fix it. They wanted customer loyalty.

I even saw a Mitzu rep approve a blown clutch on a new 4x4 when the thing was buried to the bumpers in mud and the owner admitted to the abuse when he tried to free it up.

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kent, Ohio is near Cleveland, Ohio and Akron, Ohio....it is actually on 20 minutes from Akron and about 45 minutes south of Cleveland. If you are considering about bringing your car up here let me know! I can help arrange to get your car in. This time of the year many SCCA racers have their cars in their for Kevin to work on them. From what I understand Kevin worked on Team Orecas Viper for many years and decided to come back home to Ohio and got a job at one of the only Viper Dealers in Town!

Good Luck and Let me know what you want to do?

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If a different dealership doesn't do it, (Chuck Tator's is the best, but a bit far from you), then start filing for the lemon law and get a lawyer.

I know and feel your pain, I had one of those swishy 2001's that had waterpump and cylinder head leaks at higher RPM's. They Overheated all the time, Dealer was on my side, Dodge/DC/Starline kept telling me it was normal for it to run that hot.. blah... blah...blah. After 6 trips to dealer, I filed lemon law and won. cant give any more details... But they are just trying to frustrate you.

Recommendations:
Get with VCA President in your area and see if they can help. Janni Cone is close to your area and should be able to help.

Try another dealer.

If none work, file for lemon law if your car meets your states minimum requirement. This at nothing else will get the rear end fixed with the final repair attempt, because loosing the lemon law case would mean they have to buy the car back or give you a new car, so it will be cheaper for them to just fix it. To do lemon law you dont need a lawyer, the laws are on the consumers side, just follow the instructions, that what I did.

Here is a link to my lemon law deal.
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=49398&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=4&vc=1

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My owners manual states to contact the following in case a warranty problem cannot be resolved at the dealership 800-992-1997. Worth a try. These people should place the interest of DC first (and of course customer satisfaction should be high on the list). Be very careful not to mention anything about litigation or representation. Those words will immediately close doors that may have remained open. Good luck.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

heatandair -

I would pursue the issue and find another dealer to remedy your problem. If all else fails, I would be more than happy to supply you with a replacement axle for just the cost of shipping.

Let us know if DLM can be of help.....

Doug

simply awesome! :eek:

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I noticed in your signature that you changed to 355 reared gears.

"It isn’t bragging if you can back it up!
2001 Yellow GTS
Side Pipes, K/N, 3.55"

Is that why they aren't allowing the warranty repair?

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I noticed in your signature that you changed to 355 reared gears.

"It isn’t bragging if you can back it up!
2001 Yellow GTS
Side Pipes, K/N, 3.55"

Is that why they aren't allowing the warranty repair?

I was wondering the same thing, Because I am switching my rear gear next week to 355 also. How do they determine if you are beating or abusing the car????

Isn't that the reason the car was build/bought was to drive hard.

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem with my 01 R/T. The half shaft was replaced by my dealer under warranty. I was still in the bumper to bumper warranty zone,but I think you should keep up on them because they should not be breaking unless you really pound on the car.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I missed the 3.55 ratio differential comment earlier. I believe that the warranty is invalidated (or portion thereof) when a change has direct effect on the reliability of the failed part. In this case a 3.55 ratio supplies 16% more torque to the half shafts. I would agree that the ratio change should invalidate that portion of the warranty. If the dealer is aware of the ratio change, and they believe the change contributed to or caused the failure, then subsequent warranty claims should be denied.

This may sound harsh but does anyone think that DC should warrant something that they cannot control. For instance, if I installed a supercharger should the crankshaft be fully warranted?

OP
OP
H

heatandair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their posts. Dodge ended up not warranting anything. I spent 9 hours ther today spoke with the G.M, Owner, and service manager and got no where. The best they would do was put i back together for 10% over cost. They told me there southeastern dodge rep looked at it and because of worn tires ( that were off my last viper to save a few bucks) side pipes and some road rash on the wheels that the car was abused so that voided the warranty. They did not even get the rear apart to know what the gear ratio was. Thanks to DLM to the rescue he is sending me a new half shaft for just a shipping price and i will have a local guy install. The biggest pain will be towing the car back from the dealer. Thanks again. And FYI if ever in the south east stay away from Sav. dodge.