Need new rubber...Pirelli or Michelin ?

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been using the Pirelli that were on car when I bought it a couple years ago. I will have to get some new tires for the new season. Stay with Pirelli or look for some Michelin or other brands. I still want some quality rubbers.

What are the ups and down of each brand ?

Price, traction and wear wise.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Sports are probably the best street tire for the car. OEM tirs in '94 was Michelin XGTZ, then in '96 moved to Michelin Pilot MXX3 when the XGTZ's were discontinued, then to Pilot Sports in ~97 or so when the Pilots were discontinued.

Short of going to autocross-level sticky tires like Kumhos or Hoosiers (which will give you no more than 5k to 10k miles), the Pilot Sports are probably your best bet for the car in terms of traction and ride quality, and even last decently well - I've been through 3 sets of Pilot Sports, and have managed to get between 20k and 35k miles per set (depending on track events and venues before I got track tires and wheels).

If you want to compare prices, note first that there are very few tires that will fit the rear wheels, and you probably want the fronts and rears to match. So, you might want to go to www.tirerack.com and enter in the rear tire size (335/35-17 for all Gen 1 and Gen II until 1999), and you can check availability and prices from a fairly representive source.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just an FYI call jonb at partsrack before you order from tirerack he's the man!
Yep...Thats where I bought mine. Same price as Tirerack. John will set you straight on which tires are best for you... He knows all the tricks on Vipers...AL...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
just an FYI call jonb at partsrack before you order from tirerack he's the man!
Yep...Thats where I bought mine. Same price as Tirerack. John will set you straight on which tires are best for you... He knows all the tricks on Vipers...AL...

THANKS GUYS.... Street tires I discount BELOW Tirerack, Race tires same as TireRack........ Shipping the same or less...never more. And our buddy LUKE at TireRack gets the sale in any case, I route all biz thru him!

RB185AFM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 355 P Zero Pirelli tires. I have only had them for a 1000 miles so cant comment on wear. I managed to cut 1.8 60' with them last night at the track. They have great tracktion.