Need recommendation for install of knock sensor

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a good handle on the VEC II tuning for my GTS. What a great product, it will sure be a benefit if/when I add 'the juice', especially since I own a creampuff. Anyway, I was surprised to discover we do not have a knock sensor in our cars ! Wow...so along with my wideband install, I want to put in a knock sensor. But I know some of the sensors can be very troublesome, and if not installed correctly (in the right location) they will pick-up 'false knock' from the valvetrane, drivetrain, movement on motormounts etc... :mad:

So, I would like to hear of the successes out there installing a sensor, i.e. the type of sensor and where installed. I intend on running it through my VEC II for monitoring during tuning/data logging.

And if you are totally against adding a knock sensor, I sure want to hear why! :confused:

I appreciate your opinions and look forward to reading your posts !
:usa:

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in this too! I keep thinking I hear a quiet knock at idle, but I can only hear the noise inside the car, and I'm not really sure if that is what it is.

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red98, I don't think knock sensors would be much benefit for picking up the type of sound you are hearing. Knock sensors are used to pick up sounds of detonation in the engine under load that are inaudible to you from the driver's seat and then compensate with ignition and fuel changes accordingly. If you can hear a knock at idle, it is unlikely that it is caused by damaging detonation. Also, if you can hear it, then obviously the knock sensor is going to pick it up, so no real need to have it there. This is just my opinion based on my knowledge of the topic. I may be wrong, so don't take my word for it.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I don't know. I am not even sure what I'm hearing is a knock....that's my problem. I was thinking if the knock sensor went off it would confirm whether it was or not. (I used to have a 67 Mustang that developed knocking and there was no question about what that was.
That's why I'm confused....this is very quiet. :(

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am planning to install mine in the engine mounts. I am interested in what everyone else has to say also.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red, You're likely hearing neutral gear rattle, very commom. Should go away when the clutch is depressed.

Bob

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your best bet is to use the knock sensors which come on the 05-06 cars. They are around 75 bucks each, and use a standard "injector clip connector". They are a 0-5V sensor which should be loggable by the VEC-2. They require Chassis Ground (mount), sensor ground (tied in with other sensors) and have a signal output. They are tuned for knock frequencies, and will output a signal when knock occurs. They will work in THEORY, and I know other people including myself have had luck logging knock sensors from other car types. I am actually working on this same thing with an 04 car right now.

The sensors should be located under the intake manifold. They are supposed to be bolted to a perch in opposite corners. Your best bet is to have a perche manufactured at a machine shop and welded onto the interior bracing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang