NEW 550 HP. MUSTANG - 500 HP ZO6 - DC WE WILL NEED MORE!!

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my new Motor Trend and they have an article about the next Mustang Cobra from SVT guys. They are going to use the Ford GT engine at 550 bhp. The new Z06 will have 500+ bhp. What about us DC? Remember the promise to keep the Viper at the top of the performance game!! A $40,000 dollar Mustang that can kick ASP butt is not good news.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
crick....................crick..crick....................crick..crick

61917406334.jpg

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got my new Motor Trend and they have an article about the next Mustang Cobra from SVT guys. They are going to use the Ford GT engine at 550 bhp. The new Z06 will have 500+ bhp. What about us DC? Remember the promise to keep the Viper at the top of the performance game!! A $40,000 dollar Mustang that can kick ASP butt is not good news.

I dunno about $40,000...... It doesn't matter because Vipers are so unique and so cool, they'll make up for all the extra hp in looks and bling factor alone :rolleyes: See the other thread "I'm so sick of the new Z06"

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hogdealer-
What month Motor trend is that? I just bought the Feb issue, and can't find anything about the Mustang Cobra in it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't matter because Vipers are so unique and so cool, they'll make up for all the extra hp in looks and bling factor alone :rolleyes:

LOL "bling" I started to take you seriously and was going to bash all posers until I read it a second time. :2tu:

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hogdealer-
What month Motor trend is that? I just bought the Feb issue, and can't find anything about the Mustang Cobra in it.

March issue, just got it yesterday.... I'm glad I own a GTS, soon to have some extras to keep the mere mortal sports cars more than a few car lengths behind. :2tu:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ford announced that they were canceling the new cobra mustang as well as the Lightning. Dont know where Motor Trend is getting their info but for pretty much set that in stone. They are going to leave hi performance versions of these cars up to companies like Saleen.

That being said the old s281's cost more than a comperable viper(only god knows why anyone would pay 80k for a mustang).

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember Ford saying anything about cancelling the Cobra. I remember the Lightning announcement, but as far as I know, the Cobra is still planned as an '07 model. I highly doubt it will have greater than 450 HP for under 40K though. The SVT heads keep talking about trying to do more with less, i.e. concentrating on handling, weight reduction, etc.

Matt

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A $40,000 mustang with 550hp will be great as a daily ******!!!! sign me up.

vd..

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ford announced that they were canceling the new cobra mustang as well as the Lightning. Dont know where Motor Trend is getting their info but for pretty much set that in stone. They are going to leave hi performance versions of these cars up to companies like Saleen.

I can't devulge company secrets, but Ford never said they were canceling the SVT vehicles like the Mustang Cobra or Lightening truck. They are just delaying the release of them for the newly designed Mustang and Ford F-150 instead of releasing them at the same time as the base models. I think they want to concentrate on making a quality product for the base models first and then devoting time to come out with some really high performance SVT products later.

If the new Mustang is 550 hp will it be $40,000? I doubt it, but it's not like they can price it at $60-$70,000. It will be a heck of a bargain though. Don't know what engine they will use for the Mustang Cobra. I can only talk about what has been released to the public already. At one time they had talked about using a V-10 engine in it, but I can't really say what the latest direction is. The people on the other side of the wall from me work on the Mustang program and know all about it.

If the new Mustang Cobra will be 550 hp will myself or anyone else here go out and sell our Vipers to get one. No. I and most of the rest of us here like the exclusivity of ownng a low production vehicle that is not on every street corner in the US.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are all confused.... According to the Ford Rep. I talked to in Detroit 2004, THE COBRA NAME is not going to be used with the Mustang anymore. They are bringing the Shelby name back (since Carol is back on the payroll). So yes, there will no longer be a Mustang Cobra. But, there will be Shelby Mustangs. And mark my words, they are going to be bad-asp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang