New Clutch

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got the local Dodge dealership to put in a Mcleod twin disk clutch in my car, and waited for the snow to leave. I put on about 100km and then it was acting funny so I went and talked to the tech that installed it and he figured that there must be some air bubbles in the clutch and to just drive it because it will be fine. I drove it another 20km and let it sit for a few hours and then when I went to leave I backed up and then went to drive away and the clutch pedal went to the floor without any pressure and I couldnt get it into gear. The next day I looked and noticed there was no fluid in the tank, so I filled it up and nothing happened. I called a tow truck to take it back to the dealer and when we were loading it there was fluid all over the ground.

My question is what could have went that theres fluid all over the case under the car. What would have went inside or did they not install it right? When they installed the clutch I told them that if anything was weak I would replace it all and they reassured me that everything was tight and working properly. I have to wait now for them to take it apart so I dont know what is wrong.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slave ?.....

My guess too. I just replace my Centerforce. Slave worked fine, so I didn't bother with it. I have replace MANY clutches on my car and a lot of friend's cars. First time I had one start leaking just after I put a new clutch. Bummer to have to pull it back out, but didn't take but 2.5 hours start to finish. :crazy2:

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The slave was most likely cracked during disassembly or reassembly while the tech was changing the clutch. The are very fragile and you have to put the transmission straight on with no wiggling or this happens. Ask me how I know :(

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of mechanics that work of Vipers recommend replacing the slave cyl whenever you are replacing the clutch. Lots of incidences like yours make it easier to replace the inexpensive slave when taking the clutch out.

4 out of 4 mechanics that I spoke to about clutch replacement recommended a slave replacement at the same time.

Reaction score
We have had only one problem in the years I have been here re using the same slave if it was good when it came in, it is all about the care when taking it out or re installing it. Like is stated above any bouncing or "wiggling" will easily crack the housing.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE"
4 out of 4 mechanics that I spoke to about clutch replacement recommended a slave replacement at the same time."

New clutch new slave..... Save on pulling the trans again.......

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE"
4 out of 4 mechanics that I spoke to about clutch replacement recommended a slave replacement at the same time."

New clutch new slave..... Save on pulling the trans again.......

BUT if the trans is "bounced" around while being installed, it can still damage a new one the same as an old one. Or am I wrong? :confused:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT if the trans is "bounced" around while being installed, it can still damage a new one the same as an old one. Or am I wrong? :confused:

They always go straight in no bouncing.. Never had one come back.....

All Uk cars with internal slave are recomended to change also...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960