New owner questions

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a 96 GTS last weekend and after a week of driving I have a few questions. I don't have an owners manual so I figured I'd just ask here.

1. How do I operate the alarm remote? I can't get my car to fully disarm unless the door is propped open. This is REALLY annoying since I can't even wash my car without it constantly chirping at me. Can someone give me some step by step instructions.

2. I have a switch underneath my steering wheel that looks like it should have a knob on it but it's missing. What does this do?
10743dash.jpg

3. By glovebox I assume you mean the storage area behind the center console and between the two seats. I've read there is an alarm reset switch or key hole in here but I don't see anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think the switch under the steering wheel is for the adjustable pedals. And the alarm reset key hole is in the top of the glovebox (yeah, the thing between the seats). Someone correct me if im wrong

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think the switch under the steering wheel is for the adjustable pedals. And the alarm reset key hole is in the top of the glovebox (yeah, the thing between the seats). Someone correct me if im wrong
you are right except it's not a switch, the knob is missing and you turn it left or right to adjust the pedals.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That switch is a passenger eject button, very useful....jk
It's for the pedals.

OP
OP
A

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright that answers my last 2 questions, but how do I totally disarm the alarm using the remote. I would like to wash my car.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIrst, get yourself an owners manual here:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
C/O DDS Distribution Services
1430 Lowell Street
Elyra, OH 44035
1-800-890-4038

Also, get a service manual, invaluable! :2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no that is NOT stock keyless entry fob as far as i can tell, or at least not like any i have seen before. you may be having issues with an aftermarket alarm/ electrical gremlins. I would try to get my hands on a stock key fob call JonB at www.partsrack.com or call Chuck Tator at Tators dodge

Turbo50Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did 1996 Vipers have adjustable pedals? I thought the adj pedals came later...Like 1999 or something. :confused:

If that is truly a switch under there (can't tell from the pic), it is most likey a valet switch for your aftermarket alarm.

OP
OP
A

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found out I have a Viper alarm and not a stock Dodge Viper alarm. I hope this doesn't turn out to be an electrical nightmare of some sort. I haven't found any helpful info in any google searches but I guess I'll go to an audio/alarm shop this week.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do a thorough search of the car to locate the black plastic knob for adjusting your pedals. The top is shaped like a 4 leaf clover. If you don't end up finding it Give Chuck Tator a call, I think it was around $12. I was just about to buy one when i found it tucked away.

BDZ1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 GTS do have adjustable pedels.. They DO NOT have a alarm reset under the center counsel didnt come till 98 I think

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
96 GTS do have adjustable pedels.. They DO NOT have a alarm reset switch....

Correct ...THE YEAR MATTERS !! 96-GTS your pedal-adjsut knob is missing.
You can turn it with a small socket, and adjust your pedals up and down.
Find the place that 'fits' you and your driving comfort will improve a BUNCH.

The advise to look for the reset swich will make you goofy. 92-97 Vipers don't have one.

The fob is aftermarket.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look behind & under the seats for the owners manual, many are found hiding there.
I ordered one then found one in the pocket on the rear of the driver's seat after it came in the mail. AND ORDER A SREVICE MANUAL!!! Cheap and the factory one is a good manual.