NEW VIPER COUPE

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front shot of Archer's car... right click -> save as windows background.

Shot of SRT Coupe... right click -> print as toilet paper.

No added power?! What? The C6 Z06 will probably be faster :(

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep hearing "it is growing on me". I feel the same way. But dam it, IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GROW ON US!!!!

Did the first Viper have to grow on us? Either you loved it, or you hated it! (stole that line from a friend)

This Viper should be the same way. Actually all Vipers should be that way!

The GTS-R SHOULD Be the GEN III Coupe! PERIOD!

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept1.jpg

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept2.jpg

I was there. I saw the new one in person. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not what it could or should be.

I spoke at length with an SRT employee about the coupe. He seemed genuinely interested in my thoughts and ideas of the Gen III SRT and the new Gen III Coupe.

I got the feeling that he felt they missed the mark on the SRT, and he openly said what we saw as the Coupe is not what he had hoped it would be. He said there were many things that required compromise to make it practical. Like a trunk. I don't need no stinking trunk. My Viper does not need to be practical what-so-ever. It's a toy! It's not for my mother-in-law to use as a daily driver. I don't need an outside temp gauge, I don't need the feel of the road taken away, I don't need the trunk space, I don't need a garage door opener on my viser, I don't need a cup holder! If I would have chips, dips, and drinks in my Viper I sure as heck couldn't be enjoying it to the fullest!

When I drive my Viper I take it out for a few hours, drive it hard, clean it up and put it away. I want it loud, I want it fast, I want it to look EXOTIC.

Gen I and Gen II's are EXOTIC cars. The GTS-R is an EXOTIC car. Those look like NOTHING else on the road.

The new Coupe will grow on you. It's not terrible. I've seen worse. It's just not what the Viper/SRT Team needed to stay ahead of the game. The GTS-R however is, and would keep the Dodge Viper in a leauge of it's own. Exotic and Wild as the Diablo's, the Mercilago's (SP?), the F-355's, the Tesstarossa's, etc... and all at a much more reasonable price point. Not to mention that it will outperform most all of them.

I did ask the SRT guy about the HP. I said you are sand bagging just like Ford did on the Ford GT. You will wait until the last second and then tell us it's 650HP right? He just said, "Don't set yourself up for disappointment."

BUILD THE GTS-R! DON'T CHANGE A THING ON THE OUTSIDE! PUT A 650HP HEART IN THAT BEAST AND DODGE WILL LIVE ON FOREVER AS THE KING OF ALL STREET CARS!

WOW!!! Excellent!!! Exotic and Wild is WHAT WE WANT!!! Forget about practical.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever I talk about the new coupe with DC employees they seem embarassed about it. Come on management, time to step up and let your guys (and gals) do what they can do!

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My deposit was ready... before I see this "thing". I will keep my GTS and I'm even considering buying an ACR as a second Viper. Also, I am not happy to say that but I will also be considering the new C6 Z06. Too bad DC!! :(

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUILD THE GTS-R! DON'T CHANGE A THING ON THE OUTSIDE! PUT A 650HP HEART IN THAT BEAST AND DODGE WILL LIVE ON FOREVER AS THE KING OF ALL STREET CARS!

That's it!! :headbang:

Yes, we all know we would have to pay more for the GTS-R! No problem! Figure out what it would cost us, tell us, and watch how many deposits you have within 24 hours! :2tu:

And please don't tell me NO ADDED POWER! :confused: But I guess Mr. Heffner could take care of that for me too! :p

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my humble opinion.... please, whatever you do... DO NOT POST HIS BUSINESS CARD HERE!

They closely monitor this website, and LOVE to see your comments ... but bombarding their e-mailbox with suggestions... will not be anywhere as good as compiling them here.

I wouldn't do it anyway ;)

As for all you whiners about the rear end:

1. I don't understand your whining when it is substantially similar to the Gen II GTS, which you seem to like just fine, and
2. You might as well stop whining because that is at least one aspect that will not change much at all, if my information is correct - I was told that the rear was substantially similar because of cost considerations for crash testing, etc., and they weren't willing to put in the millions to work up a new rear, thus you get what you got before, and like I said above, I don't understand your problem with it?!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, it isn't the same rear end. They pushed it and pulled it, added a trunk and then stuck it on the SRT-10 with chewing gum. They did a really crude job of integrating it to the existing car. :confused:

And even if they did a better job with the taillights, bumper, trunk seams, etc. -- they didn't seem to realize that the front end of the car has completely different lines. For example, on the GTS the curved gill on the side directly relates to the curves on the rear end. :rolleyes:

We want a car that leaves us breathless because of its pure design. Not one that leaves us vomitless because it was hacked together by a committee of accountants and bureaucrats! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughter, you are absolutely right, you can tell they cut costs on this project because this car was pieced together out of the unused parts bin. The front and rear are TWO different cars, there is no flow, no continuity between the two, what the hell were they thinking????

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read this entire thread but I did check out the pics of the concept coupe. Glad to see that DC's even thinking about a coupe version but then they'd be crazy not to considering all the interest in it. What I don't understand is why they would take parts from a Gen II and try to mix the curves with the straight lines of a Gen III. The concept car's lines don't flow at all, the GTS tail is way too short. The bubble top is nice on the Gen II but doesn't go with the sharp lines of the fenders. It looks like a mishmash of parts thrown together at the last moment.

DC, we know you read these threads to get feedback from the Viper Nation. Here's a novel idea, take the Competition Coupe, keep the body exactly like it is, and make a street legal car out of it. Throw a supercharger on top of that Gen III engine. Keep the price tag south of $100K. Guaranteed, you won't be able to keep these things in stock.

Signed,
Future Street Coupe owner but not concept coupe owner.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think a coupe was part of VOI original plan, they heard how people would be disappointed if there was no coupe and put one together. Now they have more time to make something better.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know private jet, if DC knew how big the inception of the viper coupe would be, do you think they would just throw some piece of crap together and put it out there? This is the first taste we are all getting, and most of us do not like it, first impressions always say the most. then again, it IS JUST a concept, and they could theoretically do whatever the hell they wanted to with it. But from a "showing the viper nation the future of hte viper" standpoint, I wouldnt just throw a bone to the dogs, i would wait until the meat was ready. Looks like our meat is undercooked.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read this entire thread but I did check out the pics of the concept coupe. Glad to see that DC's even thinking about a coupe version but then they'd be crazy not to considering all the interest in it. What I don't understand is why they would take parts from a Gen II and try to mix the curves with the straight lines of a Gen III. The concept car's lines don't flow at all, the GTS tail is way too short. The bubble top is nice on the Gen II but doesn't go with the sharp lines of the fenders. It looks like a mishmash of parts thrown together at the last moment.

DC, we know you read these threads to get feedback from the Viper Nation. Here's a novel idea, take the Competition Coupe, keep the body exactly like it is, and make a street legal car out of it. Throw a supercharger on top of that Gen III engine. Keep the price tag south of $100K. Guaranteed, you won't be able to keep these things in stock.

Signed,
Future Street Coupe owner but not concept coupe owner.

Agreed, but there is NO need for a supercharger. H*ll, they can easily get 625+ HP from this motor naturally aspirated. A little more agressive cam, better flowing exhaust, the prototype intake (SEMA), and some tuning. Woola!!! 625+ HP the old fashioned way... Cubes, baby, cubes....

My dream would be the GTS-R concept (minus the front/side splitters) (wing optional) with 625+HP (SEMA motor/intake upgrades) at 3200 lbs. priced $10K-15K over the SRT-10. PEOPLE WOULD GO BONKERS OVER THIS CAR! :eek:

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would buy something that looks like the cc in a heart beat. i will not buy the one that looks like an srt-10 front and gts rear.

i am slightly... disappointed...

alex
02 gts
few cars

Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in the same boat.....blahhhh
My 97 blue just got more valuable!!!!

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey got a question for u guys.

If they do give us the GTS-R how high will you pay for the new GTS-R? lets think, Dodge made this car so cheap (look at it) to make a huge profit % from just 1 car and still price it at the same level of the 80K SRT-10. I can only think of 3 things C, P, V.

Cost, Price, Value… Cost= Create the car, Price= $$ we paid to get it, Value= Worth after a few years (by the looks of this car a few months). Why would you risk Value to the consumer? Making it not desirable would hurt your current and future customers (I’m sure hell not interested).

If the GTS-R will be release no doubt it will be more money it’s just not feasible at that price (80k). GTS-R with 600 or more horses, it must have to be mass produce (Vette) to be affordable. Let’s be honest to ourselves the viper is not a sports car its and exotic car and it should be keep that way, if it will cost more $$ to get what we want then I think it’s a small price to pay in the long run. (I’m sure viper investors know that)

We want a car that would hold its book value not to make it like a Honda Civic.

My set price for the GTS-R with 625hpStock price would be 120Ks.

625 from factory is a lot of HP. 120K is a reasonable price just as affordable as a 360 and more horse power than a Lamborghini Murcielago $200K.

What would be urs?

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the GTS-R will be release no doubt it will be more money it’s just not feasible at that price (80k).

No flame intended but, I don't agree with the above statement.

Convertibles are typically more expensive than Coupes in car line ups, I've seen as much as a 10K up charge for a convert in some line ups. They require more materials to stiffen the frame, etc...

There is no reason the GTS-R would HAVE to cost more money than the SRT-10.

Now, based solely on looks of the GTS-R, not that blue thing we saw at VOI, would I pay more for a GTS-R than the current price of a SRT-10 just for the style and design? You Betcha I would!!

But I am hoping for a GTS-R, exactly what was sitting at VOI under the big screen, NOT THAT BLUE AND WHITE THING, with 625HP or 650HP and weighing in at 2,900LBS. (That should take care of Ford's new 605HP GR-1 coming out)

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmnn good point never thought of that ... but still how many stunning cars do you know of that can come out Factory with 625+ HP at 80ks? Then again who know, Dodge can pull it of. Maybe 90 at the hardest.

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn every time I see that GTS-R it sets my pulse raising and my adrenaline going. this one seems ok like everyone says “it will grow on you” so I hope “it will grow on me”.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmnn good point never thought of that ... but still how many stunning cars do you know of that can come out Factory with 625+ HP at 80ks? Then again who know, Dodge can pull it of. Maybe 90 at the hardest.

The 'Dodge' parts are already there to produce this HP with very minor changes to the current 8.3L engine. Comp. Coupe Cam, exhaust, and SEMA intake. 625+ HP. It can be done, and should not cost a fortune.

BTW - How many cars produced 450 HP in 1996 for around 70K? Comparing the HP per $ value of the Viper to other exotics is a waste of time. And don't forget, the C6 Z06 will probably have 500 HP and weigh only 3000 pounds. And I think it will be priced very aggressively (around 55K). PVO better step up in a hurry!

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit passionate about this so this may be an emotional outburst with little substance, but...

I think the Viper model line may be in trouble. The Viper used to offer something you couldn't get anywhere else. Number one, a driving excitement like none other with raw, race car handling and power. Number two, it offered the most outrageous and gorgeous styling offered in an American automobile.

Look at where we are now... Beginning with the SRT, the above two points have been watered down. Number two, styling being the big problem.

This is why the SRT has not been selling, it doesn't offer as much to the car enthusiast as the original vipers did. Despite what a few owners say, it is not something that the majority of people get all worked up over, like people STILL do over the gen I/II cars.

My advice, is to scrap this new marketing scheme and go back to offering pure driving excitement wrapped with a design with the original flavor and beauty of the original cars. Keep some of the advances, such as anti-lock brakes and some creature comforts, as long as they don't interfere with the race car feel and excitement. Don't try to appeal to the masses, this is an enthusiasts car.

If they don't, the Viper may have already begun a slow death.

(strapping on ****** shield, leg armour, helmet and activating flame retardent now...)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet that the DC designers (hi Ralph!) and SRT Team members are following what you guys are saying here very closly, so keep it coming! This is your onw and only chance to influence the final version.

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cratica-u made me cry!!!lol I could not say it better myself. No need to strap all that gear to get flamed, you brought some very good interesting points. I’m sure a lot of us in here agree with u.

The 'Dodge' parts are already there to produce this HP with very minor changes to the current 8.3L engine. Comp. Coupe Cam, exhaust, and SEMA intake. 625+ HP. It can be done, and should not cost a fortune.

BTW - How many cars produced 450 HP in 1996 for around 70K? Comparing the HP per $ value of the Viper to other exotics is a waste of time. And don't forget, the C6 Z06 will probably have 500 HP and weigh only 3000 pounds. And I think it will be priced very aggressively (around 55K). PVO better step up in a hurry!

You might be right about "parts are already there to produce" but these parts cost $$ there not just sitting there for the hell of it.

There so many factors that affect the cost to create an affordable 80k GTS-R.
You mention HP per $ but forgot to mention Quantity. The C6 Z06 is a 500HP car at 55K (very good aggressive price like u said) but do you know how many C6 Z06 GM has to create to bring it down to that price? a lot !!!lol I don’t like to see a Viper in every corner I turn (Vette). I like exclusivity, like an exotic car should be... so taking that factor of quantity will rise the $$

Back in 96 a 70K car was a lot of $$$$ reason being inflation was lower, prices were lower, wages where lower Etc. now days 70K seems a lot but in reality is not. I see people driving Mercedes benz, Cadillac Escalades, Hummers all the time so people will pay anything to get what they want.

Neil-UK- you like the way the trunk opens?

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet that the DC designers (hi Ralph!) and SRT Team members are following what you guys are saying here very closly, so keep it coming! This is your onw and only chance to influence the final version.

I hope ur right we all are bringing good points of the stylish side of the True Viper and the financial side of it.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Steve Ferguson posted, I felt the need to post again! Steve, kindly put a word in on the suggestion 650RWHP/650RWTQ/600?? - I forgot.. :D

The rear window/trunk looks too corvettey(is there such a word?) for my tastes! the Tail lights need to merge much easier thant this initial effort. Please keep the signature profile of the double bubble and flared fenders. Keep up the Great work.

Jay K.

As a sidenote, I don't know of any other company that rolls out a prototype and accepts the constructive criticism to then improve upon the existing design. For that reason alone I can't find a big enough MAJOR THUMBS UP to the designers and DC

Jay K.

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a sidenote, I don't know of any other company that rolls out a prototype and accepts the constructive criticism to then improve upon the existing design. For that reason alone I can't find a big enough MAJOR THUMBS UP to the designers and DC

Jay K.

All car companies want constructive criticism on their new models that’s why they have concept cars to see if the consumers like it or hate it and to see what can be done to improve it.

Dodge hit a home run on its 1st concept for the "coupe"(GTS-R) everyone loved it the only problem people had with it is the price ... higher than the GTS (70k). Don’t know why the went totally the opposite with the 2nd concept...hope the work fast for Jans Detroit Auto Show I’m looking forward to it.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw, if they need help in the design department, I can certainly whip up a new Viper design in 3D. This way we can see all angles rendered, not just photoshop hacks.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never think the GTS-R would be $80k. My thinking would be more like $95k-$100k! And if DC makes it at that price--they would have my deposit over the phone within 1 minute of the announcement! Although, I KNOW the phone lines would be BLOW'N UP with orders, so it might take a bit longer than 1 minute! :p :2tu:

DC if you are listening?! Some changes to the New Coupe are needed, and the look will improve alot. Maybe enough to get the demand up. But if you make the GTS-R Concept a reality you will have NAILED it! :headbang: Do you remember the excitement when the GTS-R Concept came out?? Now compare that to the level of excitement on the New Coupe.
Here's a little idea of the excitement, at the Midwest Zone rendezvous in Chicago held a few years ago, the VCA auctioned off a large, limited photo of the GTS-R and the bidding went to around $1500- just for a POSTER of this car!! What do you think the New Coupe Poster will bring in? :p Just kidding, but honestly, you can see the excitement for the GTS-R!

Take the Viper to the next level!! :usa: GTS-R!!!

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw, if they need help in the design department, I can certainly whip up a new Viper design in 3D. This way we can see all angles rendered, not just photoshop hacks.

LOL!! If they need financial Consultants, I can certainly help!!! ill whip up some charts in 3D lol. This way we can see how much money is needed of all the angles of production, not just hacks. : ) LOL!!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cratica-u made me cry!!!lol I could not say it better myself. No need to strap all that gear to get flamed, you brought some very good interesting points. I’m sure a lot of us in here agree with u.

You might be right about "parts are already there to produce" but these parts cost $$ there not just sitting there for the hell of it.

There so many factors that affect the cost to create an affordable 80k GTS-R.
You mention HP per $ but forgot to mention Quantity. The C6 Z06 is a 500HP car at 55K (very good aggressive price like u said) but do you know how many C6 Z06 GM has to create to bring it down to that price? a lot !!!lol I don’t like to see a Viper in every corner I turn (Vette). I like exclusivity, like an exotic car should be... so taking that factor of quantity will rise the $$

Back in 96 a 70K car was a lot of $$$$ reason being inflation was lower, prices were lower, wages where lower Etc. now days 70K seems a lot but in reality is not. I see people driving Mercedes benz, Cadillac Escalades, Hummers all the time so people will pay anything to get what they want.

Neil-UK- you like the way the trunk opens?

Relax newbie. First off, why should a different cam (that's already designed), a different exhaust (that's already designed), and a different intake (that's already designed) cost substantially more to put on the new coupe? Maybe a few more bucks to tune it properly and make it emmisions legal, but nothing off-the-charts. Your basically just swapping parts. Tooling for new parts is what cost, and that's already been accomplished. An no, they don't have them sitting around for the hell-of-it.... They've been using them (cam + exhaust) in a little race car called the Comp. Coupe. The parts are there for the taking, as many SRT-10 owners have incorporated them into there Vipers with great results! IT IS VERY EASY AND CHEAP TO GET 600+ FLYWHEEL HP FROM THE 8.3L MOTOR. END OF DISCUSSION.

As far as a GTS-R priced in the $80's, why not? Do you realize the older Gen II Viper cost Dodge more to produce than the current model? They dumped the clamshell hood, which was a huge expense. They could (and I think will) keep the car in this price range ($80's). Comparing the 'C5 Z06' to the 'Gen II GTS' is not fair, because the GTS blew it away in looks and performed better. People were willing to spend tens of thousands more for this reason, and the exclusivity was icing-on-the-cake. Now if you have equal performing cars (Gen III GTS vs. C6 Z06), equal (or close) looking cars, not many people are going to spend $35K+ more for a little exclusivity. Some, but not many. I know where I'll be shopping. Like I said, if Dodge wants a winner, they better step up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32