New viper raising gts value?

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching all the youtube videos and seeing all the pics of the new viper I cant get over how much it really does resemble the gts. Chrysler really did take the gts and improved/revised it to get the new viper and I guess added alittle ferrari america/gto flair. Since it resembles the gts so much do you think that gts prices are going to rise from people revisiting the gen 2s? Maybe gen3s & 4s might fall off a little also? It now seems that gen 1,2,&5 vipers all follow suit and gen 3 & 4s are a completely different model. .Just curious on how you guys think the gen 2 gts's will be affected if affected at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJuWSk_vAWQ

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.Just curious on how you guys think the gen 2 gts's will be affected if affected at all

Well, I wouldn't underestimate the power of advertising to cause some people to go looking at Vipers currently for sale. Lots of wanna be owners will not be willing to commit the amount of dollars the new one will command. The previous Gen coupes are close enough to satisfy their lust ! I think that it will at least make used Vipers be a little quicker sell.

I think that I would work up a video like this one if I were selling. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=5be1jsJGgQA&vq=hd720

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Gen 2 GTS didn't have side pipes, therefore values will be exactly 15% less than everyone is expecting.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not really dwelling or anything just interesting to speculate

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget... The gen2 GTS is a refinement of the gen1. The new Viper looks like a gen1 to me.........with a roof and big power, options and nannies...and a nice leather interior and....a cup holder. Yeah, I don't want one. Perhaps that really cool looking GTSR...??

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 1 you can put a bubble top on it and make it look like a Gen 2 .But you can't make a Gen 2 look like a Gen 1 (Ha)

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never planning on selling mine, so could care less. Love the new design, but it doesn't have the edge and "wow" factor that my GTS has.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like the new gen5 alot just not sure if im wild over how refined it is. Also they kinda made it look like a modern european interpretation of an american muscle car (gts). . resembles a ferrari america,ferrari gto, & an aston martin in some aspects . . . .Still gonna be my wet dream for some time :smokin:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Gen 2 GTS didn't have side pipes, therefore values will be exactly 15% less than everyone is expecting.

Funny comment :)

I think more and more Gen2's are going to be rightfully converting to side exhaust in the upcoming years. I will personally be pushing this movement... stay tuned

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the OP & AZTVR have a good points. While there are certainly enough people to fill the market for the G5 viper there will always be MORE people that love the Viper but cant afford a new one. To alot of those people the Gen2 is considered next best thing with regards to the Complete package.(performance AND styling). I do realise that a stock G4 is faster than a stock G2, but like the average baby boomer cruising around in a muscle car its sometimes not so much about performance. rather more about the community and just cruising around. The people that are performance oriented can always upgrade to whatever level they want above stock. Keeping up with a G4 Viper in a G2 is not a stretch. The Gen2 is already the king of the straightline stuff with TT setups. On the track(road coarse) all it takes it an upgraded N/A motor(heads/cam), suspension&brakes, and a nice aredynamics package to keep up with the G4. The upcoming mopar package(G4-heads&intakemanifold) will make this performance much easier to obtain for the G2&3 viper owners.

I am very happy with the current state of all Viper generations.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care either as I am not going to ever sell mine. I'll let my kids decide what to do with it after I kick. I'm inclined to think I will buy a Gen 5 but don't know when. I think it would be a great traveling car.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I checked the GTS futures on the NYSE this morning and they're trending up by 16 cents. With all of them converted to Dom's sidepipes, one could make a killing buying those futures.....:)

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny comment :)

I think more and more Gen2's are going to be rightfully converting to side exhaust in the upcoming years. I will personally be pushing this movement... stay tuned

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the OP & AZTVR have a good points. While there are certainly enough people to fill the market for the G5 viper there will always be MORE people that love the Viper but cant afford a new one. To alot of those people the Gen2 is considered next best thing with regards to the Complete package.(performance AND styling). I do realise that a stock G4 is faster than a stock G2, but like the average baby boomer cruising around in a muscle car its sometimes not so much about performance. rather more about the community and just cruising around. The people that are performance oriented can always upgrade to whatever level they want above stock. Keeping up with a G4 Viper in a G2 is not a stretch. The Gen2 is already the king of the straightline stuff with TT setups. On the track(road coarse) all it takes it an upgraded N/A motor(heads/cam), suspension&brakes, and a nice aredynamics package to keep up with the G4. The upcoming mopar package(G4-heads&intakemanifold) will make this performance much easier to obtain for the G2&3 viper owners.

I am very happy with the current state of all Viper generations.

x2 very well said

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care either as I am not going to ever sell mine. I'll let my kids decide what to do with it after I kick. I'm inclined to think I will buy a Gen 5 but don't know when. I think it would be a great traveling car.

I pretty much agree. after owning imports, cobra's, & a z06 this viper is the end of the line for me. What ever else I get will just be in addition to it, im not going to sell it to fund something else. I also see my self getting a gen5 in future who knows when thou. My next big purchase im saving for is a 3+ ct. engagement ring. . .damn it

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the value of all older Vipers will continue to rise. Time will tell.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the inception of the Gen 3 , the Gen 2 cars remained in Limbo as far as price was concerned. We all waited for teh Gen 4 to decide teh Gen 2 fate and thus came up short again. Looks like a Vette, not muscle car enough,blah blah blah!! So, teh Gen 2 cars kept thier values and gained some after those 2 gen's evolved. The gen 2 cars will always remain as the Icons of the Viper symbol. The new Gen 5 proves that as most of us and the know have develoved what we all percieved as the Next Gen Viper. We wanted the Muscle back but with refinements. We got it! But with a heavty price tag. So the Gen 2 in my opinion will remain and gain in value as the years go by. Barrett Jackson I believe quoted that the Gen 2 Gts (1996 B/W, 1998 commemorative and the final edition) will be a 6 figure car in years to come. Its true, a few refinements in engine and suspension and brakes and you got a track ready GTS Gen 2 that can keep up with the best of them.

My .02 cents Canadian....or 1.75 US

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All Cars will raise with our double digit inflation. Thank you FED Reserve. Getting back on the topic, I have been tracking 96 GTS's now for five years and never have seen so many for sale at one time as of now.

Last edited:

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Cars will raise with our double digit inflation. Thank you FED Reserve. Getting back on the topic, I have been tracking 96 GTS's now for five years and never have seen so many for sale at one time as of now.

I agree, but, in five years it took this to happen...hmm...something to think about. Most houses for sale in five years also, most of everything for sale in the USA now than for the last five years. Can anyone say,inflation? I remeber back in teh early 70's during teh oil /gas crisis, the Superbirds and Cudas and Big Block anything was up for grabs and cheap, and lots of them. Who would have thought they would be worth what?....Right

Hang on to her REV...remember my words in years to come. Up here in Canada the 96 and 97 Blue and whites are being advertised for 49,000 to 67,000 stock...67,000 is one 96 stock with 14,000 miles. The trend will follow in the USA as soon as you guys get a grip of things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang