New Yorks new Supercharged Creampuff

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another lucky gentleman from New York is now the proud owner of this DLM Level 1 Creampuff Supercharger.
You must be registered for see images attach

Today's Dyno numbers produced some good Level I power! The mods in case anyone is wondering were from a 2001 RT/10: (or lack of mods)
1.. The heads have NOT been removed
A. Stock Cam
B. Stock Heads
2.. This car has STOCK exhaust manifolds ( no headers )
3.. Hi Flow Cats
4.. Corsa Cat Back
5.. Stock Throttle Bodies
6.. Stock CAST PISTONS

If you look, Dyno Run #3 was on Pump Gas and Dyno Run #4 was a mix of Race Fuel and pump gas with a little more timing advance. Take note of the time between the two Dyno Runs (only 15 minutes). If the car would have cooled down more, the TQ and HP would have been significantly higher. The temperature in the Dyno room was 98 Degrees. (uuugh!) And Paolo, yes, it was 7 lbs of boost, dynoed earlier today... :laugh:

The lucky gentleman from New York asked me to post this...

p.s. Note the a/f ratio

Gerald

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the guys name but I know he's from Long Island. Spoke to Doug last week and he told me that hes got one done coming back to NY very soon. He also told me that he gave the guy my name and Tel. # so we could het together so I could see what I'm getting in the fall!

Adam

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"1.. The heads have NOT been removed
A. Stock Cam
B. Stock Heads
2.. This car has STOCK exhaust manifolds (no headers)
3.. Hi Flow Cats
4.. Corsa Cat Back
5.. Stock Throttle Bodies "

wow! double wow! :eek:
I must know.. how much ? ballpark atleast!
wow! :eek: :D

Huge congrats! i didnt think #'s like that were possible with stock parts mentioned above!!

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"1.. The heads have NOT been removed
A. Stock Cam
B. Stock Heads
2.. This car has STOCK exhaust manifolds (no headers)
3.. Hi Flow Cats
4.. Corsa Cat Back
5.. Stock Throttle Bodies "

wow! double wow! :eek:
I must know.. how much ? ballpark atleast!
wow! :eek: :D

Huge congrats! i didnt think #'s like that were possible with stock parts mentioned above!!

Jim,

How much what? cost?

Ballpark with intercooler...20K

Adam

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, cost.
because I am floored by the results!
i figured #'s like that couldnt be made with stock headers!
heck, my car has all the stock parts mentioned and high flow cats, B&B exhaust already.
so for 18-20K!
wow! :eek:
if i wasnt right smack dab in the middle of building this new home. :mad:
maybe i can sneak it into the building cost..and blame it on the contractor.. :)

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting..... 48 RWHP per # of boost has to be some kind of record! Doug has really outdone himself this time!==> I am green with envy! Congrats! I wish you guys all the luck in the world!

P.S. Gerald, I am honored you took the time out of your busy day to make me feel special and mention my name in a DLM post. That was very thoughtful...

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, I don't doubt the dyno sheet or Doug's ability to make big power on a creampuff, but assuming everything else in the post is true, I've got to call BS on the boost number. DLM poster boy extraordinaire our good friend Ben Treynor has discussed the boost/psi relationship for his car and blown Vipers generally in some detail on this board previously, as have several other folks, and the ratio pretty consistently falls in the 27-29 rwhp per psi range. Using the lower dyno number above (735 rwhp) and 7 psi produces almost 34 rwhp per psi (once you add in existing absolute pressure of 14.7). Coming at it another way, if you use a generally accepted estimate of 28 rwhp per psi and 7 psi and back that out of the dyno result (735 - (7x28=196) = 539, then that cat-backed RT made 539 rwhp before the blower! I think not!! Again, absolutely amazing work by Doug with virtually no mods and cast pistons, but I'm betting that blower is pumping more like 11-11.5 psi into that puppy.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

P.S. Gerald, I am honored you took the time out of your busy day to make me feel special and mention my name in a DLM post. That was very thoughtful...
Your very welcome Big Guy.... I knew it would go right to your head :) .
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you respecting this as a DLM thread.

Your a good man Paolo!

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, I don't doubt the dyno sheet or Doug's ability to make big power on a creampuff, but assuming everything else in the post is true, I've got to call BS on the boost number. DLM poster boy extraordinaire our good friend Ben Treynor has discussed the boost/psi relationship for his car and blown Vipers generally in some detail on this board previously, as have several other folks, and the ratio pretty consistently falls in the 27-29 rwhp per psi range. Using the lower dyno number above (735 rwhp) and 7 psi produces almost 34 rwhp per psi (once you add in existing absolute pressure of 14.7). Coming at it another way, if you use a generally accepted estimate of 28 rwhp per psi and 7 psi and back that out of the dyno result (735 - (7x28=196) = 539, then that cat-backed RT made 539 rwhp before the blower! I think not!! Again, absolutely amazing work by Doug with virtually no mods and cast pistons, but I'm betting that blower is pumping more like 11-11.5 psi into that puppy.
Ronnie,
I think it was more like 6lbs of boost but I could be wrong?? You'll have to excuse me for a moment while I get out my calculator :) :) .

Now Ronnie ... your an intelligent guy, I assume you took my second hand information as a joke because I mentioned boost & Paolo in the same sentence didn't you?

All in good fun :cool: ....
G

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers on a stock motor!! Your right next door bring it to the Viper Nationals in Sept at Norwalk Oh for the Mod 2 shootout. There is only one true Dyno, the ET slip.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now Ronnie ... your an intelligent guy, I assume you took my second hand information as a joke because I mentioned boost & Paolo in the same sentence didn't you?

What was I thinking. . . . :) BTW, what's the latest conversion factor on DLM psi to Heffner psi anyway, 2:1?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of SC'd Vipers being put out this time of the year! It's nice knowning the roads are protected by more and more V-10 Snakes with more than the normal attitude under the hood!
Who ever the owner is===> Congrats! Feel the BOOST!!! :D

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

Your a good man Paolo!

Gerald, man, you are great for my ego! If you keep pumping me up like this, I won't be able to get into my car! :p

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! :laugh: :laugh:

I just hope you guys spend $65 bucks and get a camera mount so I can sit back and watch some nice videos for a change.. BTW, KUMHO'S COME IN TOMMOROW!! yeahhh baby!

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

Your a good man Paolo!

Gerald, man, you are great for my ego! If you keep pumping me up like this, I won't be able to get into my car! :p

Paolo, anytime you need a "boost" you just let me know... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

Your a good man Paolo!

Paolo, anytime you need a "boost" you just let me know... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You guys going on a date soon or what :eek:

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way to anyone whos interested that Dyno #s was with 8 lbs of boost. Thats direct from Doug as he told me today when we spoke.

Hey Vinny, Just spoke to Doug @ DLM and he gave me your #. Will be in touch when your car comes home. I guess you'll be back in Snake heaven in a few days..Can't wait to see what my asp will look like in the fall when Dougs done.

Adam
207driving_patches-thumb.gif

ps..One more thing Doug told me to tell you guys that he can make 5hp per lb of boost or 50hp per lb of boost. Its should only be used for point of reference for your own car...

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's amazing! The tuning looks right on :eek: . Wow and no headers? Mine has headers and I don't really see the difference on the two dyno charts in terms of horsepower. I know the sound has more tone with the headers, or even louder. The air/fuel looks smooth! Enjoy your DLM car.

-Lou

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

You guys going on a date soon or what :eek:

[/QUOTE]

Too Funny :)

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps..One more thing Doug told me to tell you guys that he can make 5hp per lb of boost or 50hp per lb of boost

I can almost believe that statement standing alone because it allows for gross differences in the airflow of whatever n/a car you start with (e.g., a stock Viper versus one with a completely built motor), but as applied to a mostly stock Viper (which is what we're talking about here), I don't think it applies and I doubt Doug would claim he could make 50 rwhp per psi on a mostly stock Viper. Maybe Doug will weigh in if he gets a chance.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic results - in fact a turbo would not do a lot better at that boost - so that is a very efficient installation! Good work DLM!

The figures are not pumped up - the correct way to look at the impact of boost is to calculate the power mutliple factor. Here it is:

atmospheric = 14.7psi
Add
Boost = 8psi
= 22.7psi total
divide total by atmospheric to get max. theoretical base power multiplier
22.7/14.7 = 1.54

Ok so divide 735rwhp (assume corrected hp?) by 1.54 = 477rwhp - entirely possible from a really top notch stock V10 with the mods listed.

The hp per boost is only relevant to that engine it has no relevance to any other. It's too complicated to try and explain why (meaning I'm either not bright enough or too lazy to do it) :D

The "theoretical power multiplier" calculation however is the correct one if you want to know what a certain boost can do for your engine. It always works on any engine - but you will not always achieve that much power - that is your theoretical MAXIMUM.

That means - in the above example that 1.54 factor is a maximum at 8lb boost and most installations will fall short. With turbos - it's possible to exceed the max by up to 5% on good installations. There are complex reasons why you can exceed the theoretical maximum - but only the best can do it.

I've not see that achieved with a blower but it would not surprise me if Doug or Jason can and have done that.

However it would normally require internal mods to achieve better than the power multiplier factor - such as head work, intake and exhaust improvements etc - meaning base power goes up before boost is added - making it SEEM like you achieve full potential - but you've simply got a more powerful base engine to start with from the mods.

However even little things like improving how the air gets into and out of the units all makes a difference.... etc

For your own cars - if you know your rwhp you can now work out how much a certain boost level could increase your power by.... eg at 8lbs boost multiply your current power by 1.54... that's a guide only. If you modify the base engine to make more than that - the calc. changes...

Reality is there are losses so the ideal is not acheived with a blower (they take power to run and add heat etc). Losses due to timing retard, loss of compression in some cases etc. It all affects the end result - but all these things can be overcome by other improvements.

Anyway - in short the dyno figures stack up!

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love your car! The best thing is it is safe to drive on a daily basis.

Can't wait to read your first post about boost!

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torquemonster, you also left out the fact that it was 98 degree air temp that day when dyno was performed and the power # shown are lower than they would be out on the road because the intercooler was operating at max because you have no air flow into engine compartment like you would if car was going lets say 60 mph. That air flow is crucial in having all components work together to make this sytem run like its made to. Dyno # will always be low compared to actual when the car is out on the open road with intercooler doing its job

My .2c

adam

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh how I love a wee drive in the country in the cold evening air!

It gives me a real boost!

Cold air is like free ****** for boosted cars :cool:

....not that I'd know anything about ****** of course :confused:

I'm not THAT old :p :p

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know what some of you guys are crying about :confused: ????The guy said he made boost. whats the problem? It seems the same clowns keep whining
about some cr@p all the time. if it bothers you that Doug builds one hell of a car live with it. Just look at the tuning, thats one of the smoothest curves ive seen for a supercharged viper The car was tuned to perfection!

Max

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know what some of you guys are crying about :confused: ????The guy said he made boost. whats the problem? It seems the same clowns keep whining
about some cr@p all the time. if it bothers you that Doug builds one hell of a car live with it. Just look at the tuning, thats one of the smoothest curves ive seen for a supercharged viper The car was tuned to perfection!

Max

is this Treynor's AE :rolleyes: ????????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96