Next-Gen Dodge Viper could get Ferrari-derived V10

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lamborghini did not design the Viper engine. Chrysler asked for their help initially. Lamborghini's efforts failed because of unreliability so Dodge decided to do it themselves.

Chrysler designed by the V10 and ask for Lamborghini's help in casting the aluminium block only. Initially Lamborghini did help them with the aluminum castings. Lamborghini's help with the casting were not unreliable and did not fail. Not sure where some of you guys get this stuff from.

As far as the Lamborghini V10 used in the Gallardo goes it has nothing to do with the Vipers V10. It's completely an Audi design.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather keep what they have going. I don't desire a 5Lt V10 10k rpm car. I like the big cube design we have now. It's one of the only modern day cars where we technically have a "big block" motor. It's real cool to say I have a "8 Liter" or 488ci motor. Yeah yeah I know all you GEN 3 & 4's got that beat but, one day when money's allowing my car will be a 522ci
You must be registered for see images

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of these car companys today appear to be using engine platform derivitives as a cost effective measure Audi and Lambo .Ford (GT Must Lightening )Chevy and Caddy ECT. Typically that MAY be going on here .Probably way too expensive develop motor to be used in just the Viper time will tell.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday i was told Herb Helbick sent notice to the large volume Viper dealers(short time ago ) that to insure THE CAR CONTINUES IN 2010 they had better start ordering 2009s for inventory ASAP.(concern-focus ON PARTS SUPPLY)

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some ownership info about Chrysler and GM that I gathered from various news reports.

Chrysler Ownership Breakdown
55.0% - UAW
20.0% - Fiat
8.0% - US Govt
2.0% Canadian Govt
15.0% - UNKNOWN, most likely split between Cerberus and Bondholders. Cerberus owned 80.1% of "Old" Chrysler with Daimler Benz owning the remaining 19.9%. Daimler Benz wrote down it's value to ZERO in the fall of 2008 and most likely do not have ownership in "New" Chrysler.

GM Ownership Breakdown
60.8% - US Govt
17.5% - UAW
11.7% - Canadian Govt
10.0% - Bondholders

And here's some old news again. Chrysler to Continue Making Dodge Viper

From the Wall Street Journal said:
Chrysler Group LLC said it would continue producing its Dodge Viper sports car, which it previously planned to phase out in December.
Sports cars may help put the struggling Detroit auto makers on the road to recovery. In recent weeks, General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet brand has launched its new Camaro to laudatory reviews and sales so brisk that many buyers have had to wait for delivery.
Chrysler announced last year it was considering selling the Viper brand in an effort to trim costs. The hot rod image didn't connect with the company's overall image as gas prices turned consumers to smaller cars.
But the company said Friday it would no longer seek to sell the Viper business assets. The Connor Avenue assembly plant in Detroit, which has made the car exclusively since 1995, will continue to build the V-10 powered car.
"The Dodge Viper has successfully captured the hearts and imagination of performance enthusiasts around the globe," Dodge Brand Chief Executive Mike Accavitti said.
Chrysler emerged from bankruptcy protection last month and signed a long-anticipated partnership with Italy's Fiat SpA, which will help it produce more small, fuel-efficient cars.
The Viper was introduced as a concept car in 1989 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, and production began three years later. In 2008, Dodge introduced the fourth-generation Dodge Viper SRT10.
The vehicle has an 8.4-liter, 600-horsepower V-10 engine. More than 25,000 Dodge Vipers have been built.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday i was told Herb Helbick sent notice to the large volume Viper dealers(short time ago ) that to insure THE CAR CONTINUES IN 2010 they had better start ordering 2009s for inventory ASAP.(concern-focus ON PARTS SUPPLY)
I thought he retired! :dunno:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMO, this Fiat/Ferrari invlovement could actually be a good thing. I know alot of people want to keep the Viper simple, and dont want the "tradition" broken with any high tech traction control, or perhaps a sequential shifter. For me, Im all for it..:headbang:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, this Fiat/Ferrari invlovement could actually be a good thing. I know alot of people want to keep the Viper simple, and dont want the "tradition" broken with any high tech traction control, or perhaps a sequential shifter. For me, Im all for it..:headbang:
I just spoke with a buddy whose a BIG TIME Ferrari guy hes telling me the 4.5 liter 570 horsepower engine going in the new Italia costs more than a 09 Viper so who the hell knows

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi.

1. Herb retired from the old Chrysler but he is not retired. He is active and in the mix.

2. I think that it is great that the current leadership of Chrysler is excited about the Viper and is prepared to add two cylinders to an existing Ferrari engine to create a V10 engine and modify it to make it more like a Viper engine ( note the detail in the article about this). Don't sell them short. They know who we are and what we want. They listened to us and kept the Viper alive. Now it is time for us to show a little respect and confidence in them rather than making unfounded assumptions as to what they propose to do. As long as the Viper has 600HP/560 TQE or better; the engine is reliable; and , it requires the same simple, minimal maintainence as the current engine, I don't care who makes the engine. Bring it on!

For those worried about where the engine will be put together, my guess is that they will ship modules/components here for assembly in order to reduce any customs duties, if any, that would apply to importing an entire engine. I also think that they will also utilize the considerable wisdom of the existing SRT drivetrain people to develop the engine. It would be ignorant and inefficient for them to proceed in any other way.

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely you all realized that the VIPER continuing on in this new world, would come with a heafty price. I am willing to bet that VIPER to all these Auto Execs at FIAT is locked in at the "styling", NOT the V-10 motor. The COBRA styling was the inspiration for the VIPER NOT the big ole 427 Side Oiler V8 motor. Sorry but while a part of the history of the VIPER, the V-10 does not Define a Viper at heart. V-10s are in Dodge 3/4 ton Trucks and Ford Excursions as well, but there is hardly anything VIPER about those.

If there is a next GEN V car and the styling, weight, etc. is all there as a great evolution to the VIPER brand with a nod to the past, but no V-10 motor, well that is just the way it is going to be. There are a lot of VIPER owners that love everything about the VIPER, but don't sport a ***** over the V-10 motor nor V-10 sound to start with.

Guess we will see where this all goes. I could see Ferarri engineers lending some hands to get the Viper through some very tough times on the EPA certification side, but a Ferarri-derived anything in the Viper, with the exception of their F1 tranny technology, I just don't see it happening. Both are a niche and they are small enough numbers that you just don't mess with the Zohan on that.

Fiat runs the ultimate show so ultimately everyone answers to them. Next GEN V VIPER, if there is such a snake, will be what it will be, but to say just because it doesn't have a V-10 it is not a VIPER would be foolish. The insipration for the car came from many others and it was the styling that created the car. Having a V-10 was just a part of the overall effect, not the main driving factor. But that is just my opinion. I KNOW others will disagree.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely you all realized that the VIPER continuing on in this new world, would come with a heafty price. I am willing to bet that VIPER to all these Auto Execs at FIAT is locked in at the "styling", NOT the V-10 motor. The COBRA styling was the inspiration for the VIPER NOT the big ole 427 Side Oiler V8 motor. Sorry but while a part of the history of the VIPER, the V-10 does not Define a Viper at heart. V-10s are in Dodge 3/4 ton Trucks and Ford Excursions as well, but there is hardly anything VIPER about those.

If there is a next GEN V car and the styling, weight, etc. is all there as a great evolution to the VIPER brand with a nod to the past, but no V-10 motor, well that is just the way it is going to be. There are a lot of VIPER owners that love everything about the VIPER, but don't sport a ***** over the V-10 motor nor V-10 sound to start with.

Guess we will see where this all goes. I could see Ferarri engineers lending some hands to get the Viper through some very tough times on the EPA certification side, but a Ferarri-derived anything in the Viper, with the exception of their F1 tranny technology, I just don't see it happening. Both are a niche and they are small enough numbers that you just don't mess with the Zohan on that.

Fiat runs the ultimate show so ultimately everyone answers to them. Next GEN V VIPER, if there is such a snake, will be what it will be, but to say just because it doesn't have a V-10 it is not a VIPER would be foolish. The insipration for the car came from many others and it was the styling that created the car. Having a V-10 was just a part of the overall effect, not the main driving factor. But that is just my opinion. I KNOW others will disagree.
Great POST

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The COBRA styling was the inspiration for the VIPER NOT the big ole 427 Side Oiler V8 motor.

The Cobra IMAGE was the inspiration, not the styling. Big cubes were the biggest part of the Cobra image. The only styling similarities between a Viper and Cobra is that they are both beautiful. I don't see how anyone can put the cars next to each other and point out any significant styling cues shared between them. They both have four wheels and are true roadsters, that's where the styling similarities end.

But in the performance and butt-kicking categories they share the similarity in that they both were leaders in their class. THAT was the inspiration.

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next GEN V VIPER, if there is such a snake, will be what it will be, but to say just because it doesn't have a V-10 it is not a VIPER would be foolish. The insipration for the car came from many others and it was the styling that created the car. Having a V-10 was just a part of the overall effect, not the main driving factor. But that is just my opinion. I KNOW others will disagree.

It's Viper RT/10 and SRT-10. The V10 for a Viper is a boxer 6 for a Porsche 911.