Next Gen Viper scrapped? Current Gen to be built to 2011

Red Coachwhip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said, but it's still the same body for 9 model years ('03-'11) which will make it a tough sell, especially to those buyers not completely up on the Viper.

I agree, however gen 1-2 lifespan was 1992-2002 while gen 3-4 is 2003-2011(?). I think that the main issue here is that although a GTS is widely considered a classic design (mainly because... it is one), it started showing its years by the start of the 2000's, while I doubt that the SRT will age that well.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear the opposite viewpoint. For Chrysler's sake, I hope that your viewpoint is prevalent and that it helps sell alot of Vipers.

I can still count on my fingers all the Vipers I've seen out on the road.

Most people have still not seen any generation. I'm in no hurry to sell mine.:2tu:

Their all classics.:usa:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good= all our cars will become gold mines.

The bad= outdated technology for those of us that keep the faith ongoing

The ugly= Dodge is really :lame:w/out its Halo vehicle. They killed the Prowler, so Viperis it in terms of vehicles that create mysticism and excitement. W/out Viper...there really is not reason to be loyal to the brand. None whatsoever.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting article just came out. looks like all our moaning and groaning wont make a difference at all. it looks like the vipers days (and many others) are numbered, like it or not.

End of an Era? - MSN Autos

And if California wins the right in court to regulate global-warming emissions, you might just kiss your super-powered car goodbye — at least those that rely solely on gasoline.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, a 60/40 mix of Iowa corn mash with gasoline and the Viper goes from 22mpg highway to 44 mpg highway or there abouts.

CAFE does not concern me in the least.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck...ethanol gas (your Iowa corn mash) gets LESS mileage than gasoline. A gallon of ethanol has LESS BTU's than a gallon of gasoline. The higher the percenatge of ethanol used with gasoline (the most common is E85) the LOWER your mileage will be. The following is from a Business Week article (April 2006):

"But one final setup for the public has gone unnoticed. At the Web site, Fuel Economy, which confirms the 25% to 30% drop in mileage resulting from the use of this blended fuel, another feature lets users calculate and compare annual fuel costs using regular gasoline to costs using E85."

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some thoughts on the Viper mpg and emissions: What if they disabled half the cylinders at low load like with the Hemi? What if they added a 7th gear to the transmission, I know the rpms are already low at 6th gear, but if half the cylinders were off at the same time= more work for the engine. Would not this help emissions also? And when you punched it the viper would still have all the venom. I'm new in the VCA and forums, so go easy on me......

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: W.T.F. Viper RIP

i thinki its BS, Chrylsers image will go into the toilet if it 'kills off' its Halo car
Most people don't even know the Viper. least of all it's halo car image. I get numerous statements from pedestrians asking "Is that a Mustang?" or "Is that a Corvette?" or "I didn't know Dodge made that?".

So I say, there's no "image". And if they stop making a Viper, the only downside will be to performance enthusiasts.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck...ethanol gas (your Iowa corn mash) gets LESS mileage than gasoline. A gallon of ethanol has LESS BTU's than a gallon of gasoline. The higher the percenatge of ethanol used with gasoline (the most common is E85) the LOWER your mileage will be. The following is from a Business Week article (April 2006):

"But one final setup for the public has gone unnoticed. At the Web site, Fuel Economy, which confirms the 25% to 30% drop in mileage resulting from the use of this blended fuel, another feature lets users calculate and compare annual fuel costs using regular gasoline to costs using E85."
E85 is a big joke. It has lower fuel economy, increases the price of the underlying food product for the US and the world and doesn't reduce the effect of greenhouse gases. But somehow it's been linked as a green solution to the global warming crisis. :dunno:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just some thoughts on the Viper mpg and emissions: What if they disabled half the cylinders at low load like with the Hemi?

SRT team should really consider this avenue. Now with variable valve and cam timing an option, they could create a tune for on road use that will involve disabling cylinders at low rpms, and change the timing to lean out as much as possible.
Why not do the BMW trick and offer a hidden HP booster switch in the glovebox that requires a turn of a key or even an aftermarket chip to get the full power out of the beast? I wouldn't mind a 350hp, 35mpg Viper that can secretly be brought to life with an aftermarket chip.

The technology is already there, I believe it's all in the tune. I bet a new VEC4 would have the capability to prove somewhat that this could be possible, and without huge R&D. The 2008 is already at 22mpg's, if an engine management system could possibly get the mpgs up to 28 - 30 by messing with the timing and cams, then the act of disabling some of the cylinders would be the extra 5 - 7mpgs, if not more. Who cares what the HP will be, it'll probably still be near 400HP.

Perhaps the VCA could help with the initial R&D and submit it to SRT and let them take our findings to next step. We have many intellegent members that know how to tune for more HP, why not tune for more mpg's. I believe we need to be proactive now before it's too late. I honestly think 35mpg's is doable on the V10.

I think it would mean more Press, and more recognition, to be known as the first and only car company in the world capable of achieving 35mpg's out of a pushrod V10.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand that, the numbers I posted were for illustration.

It all depends on the law's definition of "fuel".

If I get 20 miles on a gallon of fuel that is 100% gasoline, but get 15 miles on a gallon of fuel that is a 50/50 mix of gasoline and some other additive (ethanol or whatever), am I not attaining the objective of using less gasoline per mile? Which is the objective anyway.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRT team should really consider this avenue. Now with variable valve and cam timing an option, they could create a tune for on road use that will involve disabling cylinders at low rpms, and change the timing to lean out as much as possible.

My brother has been testing/driving an SRT-10 truck with cylinder cutout for over a year now. I'm not sure when he plans to bring it to market - droptail.com It certainly is a viable option that's available (and would work better in a car than a heavy truck.)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother has been testing/driving an SRT-10 truck with cylinder cutout for over a year now. I'm not sure when he plans to bring it to market - droptail.com It certainly is a viable option that's available (and would work better in a car than a heavy truck.)

If it's anything like the GM sysytem I have my doubts of it's effectiveness. I just bought a brand new Silverado 1500 4 X 4 with the 5.3L muti-displacement option and 3:73 gears. All I can say is that it gets the same mileage as my old '03 2500HD with a 6L and 4:10 gears. The new Silverado is a Single cab short bed, unbelievable. I was sceptical of the multi-displacement deal from the get go, but this experience just reinforces my thoughts.
A hybrid diesel system will probably be the final solution, but that's years off. Oh and let's not forget about the ridiculous premiums attached to US built Diesel trucks.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only reading rumors.. where are the quoted sources that explicitly say what really is going on? I'm getting sick and tired of all this rumor bullsh!t when no one really knows what is going on and blurt out their opinion as facts.

I have to aggree with you.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
E85 is a big joke. It has lower fuel economy, increases the price of the underlying food product for the US and the world and doesn't reduce the effect of greenhouse gases. But somehow it's been linked as a green solution to the global warming crisis. :dunno:

Don't forget about the other natural resources we would be over utilizing...water. It takes water to grow corn. Until they can seriously reuse the things we waste...landfill materials (and I know there has been research and some gains), GREEN fuels aren't a viable solution. Until we can really harvest wind, solar, geo-thermal, clean chemical, atomic...etc...we will continue to burn fossil fuels. Face it we need to switch to Hydrogen that has been spilt via Nuclear reactors. We need to send the atomic waste "to the Moon Alice". If we can power subs and ships via nuclear, why can't we power cities and vehicles. These nuclear mistakes in past are just that mistakes...we need to invest in realizable energy solutions.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I personally believe global warming is as much as a joke. but I also have the same question as chuck is CAFE just 35 mpg or 35 mpg of gasoline?

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Chrysler going to scrap the Viper we should let Chrysler know we'll going to scrap buying Chrylser products.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectTheVenom
I'm only reading rumors.. where are the quoted sources that explicitly say what really is going on? I'm getting sick and tired of all this rumor bullsh!t when no one really knows what is going on and blurt out their opinion as facts.

I have to aggree with you.

I'm sure the Prowler Club thought the same thing before they got the boot.

There are too many rumors, but they all say the same thing. A rep for Dodge at the Auto Show also confirmed the same rumor to a friend of mine. I think there is definately talk going on. If we don't step up and help prevent it, the rumors may become a reality.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't forget about the other natural resources we would be over utilizing...water. It takes water to grow corn.

Don't get me started on that one. Do you realize how much energy is wasted to boil the corn hot enough to make ethanol?

131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Where do those 77,000 BTUS come from? NATURAL RESOURCES!

So we get worse MPG's, higher cost to make, and more energy wasted in the process.

Henry Ford tried this and other ideas years ago with soy beans. This is an old avenue that gives you less than you put in.

Last edited:

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me started on that one. Do you realize how much energy is wasted to boil the corn hot enough to make ethanol?

131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Where do those 77,000 BTUS come from? NATURAL RESOURCES!

So we get worse MPG's, higher cost to make, and more energy wasted in the process.

Henry Ford tried this and other ideas years ago with soy beans. This is an old avenue that gives you less than you put in.

Wow thanks for educating me on that one...All these "Alternative fuels" require some "Natural" ones to make. Only thing I really can see is Nuclear. Yes we can harness energy from wind, solar, thermal, and a few others, they are just insufficient to power the needs of the many. Trust me I am a software developer not an engineer, but I haven't seen one "natural resource", aside from fossil fuels capable of producing less CO2 emmisions that are a viable solution to this "Green" problem. Al Gore you can go stuff it.

One funny side note...I posted my new Snake Skin Green Coupe on Cardomain (because I really am a super car nut), and they have a new "Special" catergory called "Green Machine". It is supposed to represent environmentally friendly vehicles, so I thought it would be funny to rate my car in that category...since I call it the Green Machine. It went right to the top in a few days... I think that is a "gas"... I am wondring when they are going to kisk the car out of the category...:rolaugh:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2992476

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectTheVenom

I'm sure the Prowler Club thought the same thing before they got the boot.

There are too many rumors, but they all say the same thing. A rep for Dodge at the Auto Show also confirmed the same rumor to a friend of mine. I think there is definately talk going on. If we don't step up and help prevent it, the rumors may become a reality.

I think VCA should start a campain so we can let Chrysler know how we feel. We respresent not only potential Vipers sales but sales of a lot of other Chrysler products too. Besides a Viper I currently have a Dodge Caravan and I purchased a Chrysler 300 for my parents for Christmas. I have purchased a lot of other Chrysler products and I will definitely feel let down if they do discontinue production of the Viper. I won't have a problem purchasing non Chrysler products.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is old news and I am not sure why you are commenting now. Global warming is a reality...just look at the polar ice caps.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is how many first time Viper buyers are there buying 2008 Vipers? Any species needs new blood to survive. If the Viper community isn't being infused Chrysler has to look elsewhere.

osuaero

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing all of our global warming friends ignore the fact that the planet goes through natural climate cycles of which we can do nothing about. Wasn't it only about 25 years or so ago that everyone thought we were going to freeze to death? I believe there was even a cover of Time Magazine devoted to this.

One of my favorite quotes regarding the thoughtless masses..."Everything we have ever known has turned out to be false".

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Global warming? Damn I wish it would hurry up.

Reality is that it's been colder the last two years and now we don't see summer until late June instead of April. It used to warm up to 48F during the day in Winters, now it barely makes 32F. Right now it's 62F instead of the average 78F.

Did someone say that the ice caps are melting? Or do they mean to say that someone told them that someone told them that the ice caps are melting? We've got 2 Glaciers here, just above the 49th Parralel and they don't seem to be melting. We also had an extra 18" of snow in the yard all last year.

The reason we see Global warming on TV is because it's a great way to increase taxes. Global cooling would be a great reason to decrease fuel costs and we know that's not going to happen. Matter of fact all Governments in Canada are increasing fuel taxes because of "Global Warming".

So Taxes overcome reality. It's abnormally cold and they're still ruining our standard of living for "Global warming reasons?

Supposedly the reason Gas, oil, diesel and heating fuels are so high is because there's too much and "investors/hedge funds" are purchasing future fuels at a higher cost - so consumers have to pay a higher cost. More BS.

New World mentality is take all the "people's money" and live like a King (but only the super wealthy) and Politicians.

Viper seems to be one of the only good deals left in the world as it isn't sold for $85,000 manufacturing cost and $100,000 profit.

Ted