Nitrous question

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrous express=NX. the best if ya ask me.

anywhere up to and including a 200 wet shot is gonna be safe with a good tune. any size shot needs to be properly tuned before ANY street use !!!

OP
OP
Z

Z06reformed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you use it in first gear? What kind of tuning do you have to do to the car?I thought just dump appropriate fuel in with the nitrous would be OK on the EFI cars.The last nitrous kit I had was on a IROC back in the day and it was just hook up and go.I know they have got to be a little better in this day and age but its been a long time for me so I havent kept up with it.I think a 200 shot would be the deal.what other supporting gear would you recommend as well.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VEC2 does a great job with nitrous. it works as my WOT switch and my rpm window switch. then it helps you fine tune it.

1st gear can be sprayed but that comes with practice. i mostly run from 50 to 160mph so 1st gear isnt used.

OP
OP
Z

Z06reformed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 99 has cast pistons?Is this type of power OK on them instead of forged pistons?

Plumcrazy-what kind of quarter mile times are you running?

OP
OP
Z

Z06reformed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did read the description of the vec2.can this be programmed correctly by Roe for this setup(NX 200shot) and upon installation be correct?Or is there a lot of tinkering?
Hate to ask so many questions on such a open and shut topic but just not familiar with DC anything or the newer setups like this.

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 and older are forged. It comes with software so you can program the cards yourself, but I would recommend you find someone who has experience with it and let them do the tuning for you. There is a lot of VEC2/nitrous info on this site, do a few searches and you should be able to find info on just about anything.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VEC2 does a great job with nitrous. it works as my WOT switch and my rpm window switch. then it helps you fine tune it.

1st gear can be sprayed but that comes with practice. i mostly run from 50 to 160mph so 1st gear isnt used.

How do you use your VEC2 to activate your nitrous? I tried hooking up the PWM output from the VEC2 to the nitrous relay but it wouldn't trigger it. I was told it is only a 5v ground signal. I ended up using the microswitch from the nitrous kit.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly i dont know squat about how to tune the VEC2. i had sean set it up for me and i love it. call sean, that guy will answer any question im sure. he is really helpfull.

here is what he sent me in an email..
Hi Phil,
Pin #5 on either the master or slave connector can be used as the PWM
ground out trigger for the relay.
I don't know if you're using the stock MAP sensor for manifold pressure
input, or the VEC2 internal.
Setup the PWM load table input accordingly, for analog 1 or 3

Z06, id take the vec over that any day. with the vec, you can really fine tune the nitrous AND the motor. its going to give you more hp & torque NA as well.

BBYE 50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you run a stock 05 with a 200 shot(base system) safely without a VEC2 or other unit?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZO6:

In simple terms the VEC2 can be used as a window switch. The VEC can also be used to tailor your a/f. You will find that when using nitrous in a high volume application the car gets very rich at the end of each gear, the VEC can be used to keep the A/F flat. You will also need a WOT switch tied in series with the VEC.

If you want to use the car on the street, a progressive controller is not a bad idea. The problem is the US manufacturers relabel industrial solenoids which don't work very well when pulsed. You might want to look at the English Company, Wizard of Nos (WON), the US source is Racetested. They have solenoids that are compatible with their progressive controller. I have used NOS brand, NX and now the WON products. With the WON product I am shooting a true 350 with a progressive controller.

622r109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
better get btr propane with that 200 shot, im doing my 05 right now. :bonker: :bonker:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running the 200 shot on my 95 for 4 years now without any issues. The NX kit is a good kit and will run fine without any additional PCM upgrades or VEC2 addition. I am not saying a Vec II is a bad thing but it is not needed. I would start with what ever kit you choose, NX, NOS or the BTR system install it with the wide open throttle switch and an RPM window switch, use the jets for the appropriate shot and you should be fine. What ever you do, don't forget the bottle warmer either.

Start with the 100 shot, and then go up from there. I would recommend that you dyno your car just so you can get your AF numbers, + I am sure you want to see your HP gains. I know from experience that the NX kits if you use the proper N2O jets and fuel jets for the shot you are running, you will definitely not be lean. I am not 100% sure but was told that NX did R&D on the viper and jetted it rich to be safe, as do most other kits.

I was able to make 630 RWHP and 800 RWTQ on an Old Gen I.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running the 200 shot on my 95 for 4 years now without any issues. The NX kit is a good kit and will run fine without any additional PCM upgrades or VEC2 addition. I am not saying a Vec II is a bad thing but it is not needed. I would start with what ever kit you choose, NX, NOS or the BTR system install it with the wide open throttle switch and an RPM window switch, use the jets for the appropriate shot and you should be fine. What ever you do, don't forget the bottle warmer either.

Start with the 100 shot, and then go up from there. I would recommend that you dyno your car just so you can get your AF numbers, + I am sure you want to see your HP gains. I know from experience that the NX kits if you use the proper N2O jets and fuel jets for the shot you are running, you will definitely not be lean. I am not 100% sure but was told that NX did R&D on the viper and jetted it rich to be safe, as do most other kits.

yeah with heads, cam, headers, and no cats.... not just NOS :curse:

I was able to make 630 RWHP and 800 RWTQ on an Old Gen I.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I too am having problems getting my Vec 2 to activate the NX relay. It's putting out the max, which is 5 volts. Do I need to buy a different relay that WILL trigger with 5 volts, or what? Help!

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
C'mon guys, I still can't get the 5 volt Vec2 output to trigger the nitrous relay. When I jump 12 volts to the relay, everything works like a champ (solenoids click on). How have some of you guys made this work? Thanks,

Ted

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too am having problems getting my Vec 2 to activate the NX relay. It's putting out the max, which is 5 volts. Do I need to buy a different relay that WILL trigger with 5 volts, or what? Help!

Yes
Try a relay with a 5 Volt trigger and 12 Volt switched leg.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon guys, I still can't get the 5 volt Vec2 output to trigger the nitrous relay. When I jump 12 volts to the relay, everything works like a champ (solenoids click on). How have some of you guys made this work? Thanks,

Ted

You may have your relay wired incorrectly. The Vec2 output is 12 volts negative. Also, make sure it is not set up for PWM.

"Programmable output signal (12V- negative) can be used to activate a switched component or PWM (pulse width modulation) controlled component."
http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=8&idproduct=81#details

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I wired my relay to power and ran the negative lead to the Vec2, since it is supposed to put out a negative signal. It still won't trigger the relay.

I AM using PWM, but that's what Sean Roe drew up for a custom program. Are you suggesting using an 'analog out' instead of PWM???

I know my solenoids, etc. are wired correctly because when I disconnect the relay GROUND from the Vec2 and touch it to a ground, the solenoids open. I just can't get the Vec2 to trigger the relay. I've even tried combining Master AND Slave pin 5's in hopes that it would up the voltage enough to trigger the relay. No luck as of yet. I'm in Oregon and just about ready to uninstall everything and send it to Sean Roe for troubleshooting. Any other ideas guys??

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My program begins with 50% somewhere around 3500 rpm and is 100% for every entry after that until it tapers back off. Sean Roe wrote the program for me - it's not like I hacked up something myself. And would any parts store carry a relay that would trigger with 5 volts? It's worth a try...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960