Nitrous

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to add nitrous to my 96 GTS and was hoping someone could tell if they have a separate fuel tank or are you drawing from the current system?

Also, if you are drawing from the current system where are you tapping in and how much of a hit can the stock system supply? Thanks

Pat

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat - I really don't want you to take this the wrong way but there are TONS of threads about this. There have been a couple in the past week alone. I think people say 150 shot is pretty safe however.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have done a few Vipers that are running a 300bhp shot very safely on stock internals, timing, and fuel pump. You can easily tap into your fuel pressure test port on top of your motor for a fuel supply. Check our gallery for ideas. If you have any questions we can give you full details.

www.racetested.com

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to do a 300 shot, you really need a dedicated fuel system. You can do without, but it's not the best. You stock fuel pump will have a really hard time keeping up with it. I have a dedicated fuel system for that reason. I have a fuel cell that I fill with race gas for extra insurance.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crockett,
Is this a known fact or something NX told you when they fitted your kit? Your set-up is not a bad idea by any means but whether it was needed I'm not sure until I know your specifics. I know you run a progressive so this should eliminate the need for a dedicated race fuel source for your power levels right there if detonation was a worry. You could have easily uprated your existing fuel pump also. I remember NX telling you that a direct port set-up was needed also for your application and we have tremendous results with a single point system for the fraction of the price. I personally don't know the limits of the stock fuel pump yet. I can say as there is more interest in using our kits on Vipers, that I'm going to consult with a top Viper mechanic in my area so I can give more specifics and facts.

I'm also very curious what your car put down for power, what shot, and time slips. I am being nosy as NX isn't on our christmas card list and you know why.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
N/X, with West Coast Viper created what they called a 450 shot which I run with a maximiser. It adds 320 at the rear wheels. The stock fuel system ran out after 1/8 mile and I had big nitrous backfires out the front unless I got off the throttle for the back 1/8.. It was entertaining, but I'm lucky I didn't fry the engine with the lean conditions. The dedicated fuel system has been a good thing since.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search for sure.
I'd suggest a Sean Roe fuel pump voltage booster for dyno'd power over 200to 225RW.New fuel system or Dedicated after that.
You should be asking what nos set up do I need to go "X"fast in the 1/4 or ?!If there's a budget you might be advised to back off the Juice and work on the suspension!
Good luck

OP
OP
P

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot, where is your tank located? How much fuel does it hold? I can understand a dedicated fuel system, but I was hoping to plum it off stock tank with a "Y" into an inline pump in necessary. I was hoping not to put a small tank in the trunk.

Again, racetested, BigCarrot and everyone else, thanks for the input.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,
What is your question or concern about the pistons. What power level are we talking about?

Scotty,
You are correct. To many people just look at numbers. I always want to know exactly what a customers goals are in the beginning. You may make huge dyno numbers but this doesn't mean you will go down the track the quickest. There are a lot of variables and considerations to think about for a particular set-up.

Sun diego,
Very good info to know. Thank You. We are nitrous experts, but not a particular car make experts as we work on everything from scooters to pro mod cars. So help and tips like the stock Viper fuel pump limit is always appreciated.

Also Sun diego did you have to uprate your ignition system. People worry about pistons failing, but ignition is usually the first area to have problems as the dense charge from nitrous is to much for most stock ignitions once a certain point is reached.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat,
We are offering our base kit for $1,000 that will need no upgrades for power up to about 150 hp. Then we mention that the same kit can flow more if upgraded to dual bottles for more consistant pressure.

I'll speak with Scotty today to confirm that the fuel system needs to be addressed to get the numbers he made 647rwhp and 797rwtq. If so I will mention this in the kit. Again all the help is appreciated so we can provide the best info possible, along with buying and installing a nitrous kit as easy as possible for a given application.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Denny,

You can definitely run a Nitrous system and get the fuel needed from the shrader valve on the back side of the passenger side of the intake.
As for pistons, in his application it really should not matter, we know his car is a 96 hence forged pistons.

I think 150 HP shot or 200 HP shot is plenty depending on your application. Any more you will have traction issues and might want to look into strengthening the driveline.

I have been very pleased with the NX system, as far as ease of installation and it's simplicity.

Ed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness