Nj State Inspection

rays925

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I just discovered that my 08 viper from chicago has no new car sticker and i need to have it inspected in nj .Can i go to any state inspection with this car. its kinda low and dont really want those guys driving it or is there any dealers in central nj that does it ? thanks for any feedback

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better off (esp if the cars modded )going to a local garage and paying the 100.00 .If you go to Eatontown or Freehold make sure car has both plates ect.

OP
OP
R

rays925

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is stock with 700 miles on it but no front plate holder on it didnt have one when i took delivery

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is new and purchased from an out of state dealer you can get a form (I think it is a yellow one) from the DMV that will allow you to get a new car inspection sticker at the DMV (not a private garage). There is no inspection required other than a visual (i.e. your front plate must be on). You simply show up with your car and the required paperwork (bill of sale, etc.), pay sales tax if it was not already collected by the other state, fill out the yellow form and get the new car inspection sticker. I've done it several times. No issues.

If the car was used then you have no choice but to get it inspected after registering it in NJ. Either a state inspection station or private garage can handle this.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy the rubber snap on front license plate from JonB at Partsrack. Put it on for inspection, take it off after. Per previous post if your car is a new car from a dealer with 700 demo miles you can still get the new car inspection sticker, if used go to a private garage you trust. Safer.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is new and purchased from an out of state dealer you can get a form (I think it is a yellow one) from the DMV that will allow you to get a new car inspection sticker at the DMV (not a private garage). There is no inspection required other than a visual (i.e. your front plate must be on). You simply show up with your car and the required paperwork (bill of sale, etc.), pay sales tax if it was not already collected by the other state, fill out the yellow form and get the new car inspection sticker. I've done it several times. No issues.

If the car was used then you have no choice but to get it inspected after registering it in NJ. Either a state inspection station or private garage can handle this.

He is correct, I do it all the time.

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you bought it used, pay and get it at a private inspection station. Just use a little double sided tape and take it off afterward.

OP
OP
R

rays925

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will tape work i thought that they wanted a plate holder if thats the case ill go to local garage with it if that will pass

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tape can work if they don't look too closely. I believe the law in NJ (where I used to live) and most other states require that the plate be securely fastened to the car. I remember years ago a state inspection station failed my 71 Torino for this reason. I moved from PA where there is no front plate and I therefore had no front plate holder. I wired the plate to the grill but the state failed me; said it had to be screwed to the car.

I did use tape one time succcessfully to hold the front holder on a different car but the plate was screwed to the holder and it was very difficult to tell that the holder was only taped to the bumper. If you use tape you'll have to put some dummy screws in the plate or it will be obvious. The snap on holders from JonB look like they are permanently attached to the car so they pass easily. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

rays925

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey joe no bobs phone is disconected i dont know why ,ut i got a pm from patentlaw and i think i shouild have it taken care of by the weekend thanks to everyone for the help

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want i will be at his location tommorrow and can stop in -whatever is easyier for you .

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to inspection in Wayne last month and just zip tied the front plate on. Passed with no questions, no problems.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
intense is correct, a few zip ties wrapped around the cross bar in the grill, attached to the top two holes in the plate allow it to look and WORK perfectly (for the single purpose of inspection), but DON'T drive in that fashion as the wind will eventually allow the plate to scratch the facia.

JonB's "clothespin" style rubber mounts are AWESOME!!! and allow you to "clip" it on and off at will.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to the DMV office, tell them you want a collector car registration voucher(no, it does not have to be 25 years old, or have QQ plates). Its $35, and you'll be Inspection exempt. I've done it on every single Viper I've had. Plus, it makes an excellent case, if you ever get pulled for no front plate.

OP
OP
R

rays925

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Got It Done Today But Car Got Damaged On The Way Home .i Cant Win I Drove Under An Overpass Being Worked On And Something Fell Onto Trunk And Put Two Big Chips In Paint ***!!!!!!it Looks Like A Bolt Hit It Have To Get Trunk Painted Now

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in NJ and just got mine inspected. It's no big deal. They were fine, and they were all so pumped that I brought it. I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I just brought the front plate and put it on the passenger's seat. I told the guy that I wasn't putting holes in my front bumper. He was fine with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960