No rear window key with RT/10

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2000 RT/10 from a local Dodge dealer. There was no rear window key that I could find. The dealer wasn't sure what to do either--they ordered the blank, but told me I'd have to leave the car with them and that they'd have a locksmith make one. The dealer is pretty far away and geez...don't you hate to leave your Viper somewhere unless you really have to? Is there any other way to go? Could that key have been hidden in the car somewhere besides the glove box or seat pockets (they were empty except for the owners manual and hex key tool). Also, the car came with only one ignition key & remote. Is that all you get? Thanks in advance for any help!

RC

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't even know the new ones had a key for the rear window? All I have on my 95 is two little clips that hold it in place, but I'd rather have a key for it.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
The little silver key is for your back window.

As far as the missing key, have your dealer get the blank, then call your own locksmith and have them come to you.

[edit]New from the factory, you are issued two complete sets[/edit]

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -RUNNR:
The little silver key is for your back window.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wish that key had been on the ring--it's not..
crying.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
As far as the missing key, have your dealer get the blank, then call your own locksmith and have them come to you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll do that...good suggestion...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
New from the factory, you are issued two complete sets
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have the dealer backtrace it & see if someone still has that 2nd set. I understand it's about $200 for the key & remote. Thanks!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racetech,
make sure you get 2 little silver keys with "sneaky pete" logo
on them.
they are what should have came with your car.
I do see why they can't just get the keys by themselves? Do you need a 2nd remote too?

the idea of letting your locksmith is better than leaving your car with anyone
smile.gif

good luck
JIM

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
Racetech,
make sure you get 2 little silver keys with "sneaky pete" logo
on them.
they are what should have came with your car.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The dealer ordered just one blank and it has Pete on it. Does it take two keys or just the one to get the window out? Thanks again for the help!

RC 2000 RT/10

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
RC,
you only "need" one but seeing that you bought it new it should
have 2.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I bought it used (barely used--484 miles and no signs of abuse on the tires)...I'm having the dealer try to track down the 2nd set, but my chances of actually getting it may not be that good.

I'm kind of curious how it works with a 2nd remote. The manual says that each time it's used, a rolling code is transmitted to/from the computer. How can the other remote keep up?

Anyway, I'll push the dealer & see what happens as far as locating that 2nd set. Seems odd that someone apparently took the rear window key off the ring. Thanks a ton for your help!
supergrin.gif

RC

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray W:
No need to leave the car just leave the window. If you have a secure place to keep the car at home.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gotta be kidding! You mean I can take out the window w/o the keys? If so...doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the key locks at the top of the window?

RC

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rc, i think ray means take the window out once you get the key
and leave it out.
I keep my window in the trunk all summer and come fall i put it back in for the winter storage time.

good luck

JIM

PS congrats on the car and let the mods begin!!

hood pad,mgw shift knob,glove box, hvac knobs
snakeoly floor mats,subexhaust, skipshift
sean roe's fan kit, and clutch link
of course k&n and smooth tubes
ENJOY
smile.gif

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear window key is rarely used by most people, so I could see pulling it off your key ring for driving.

I also need to have a window key made I bought a blank, but a local locksmith wanted $$ to have it re-keyed, and it seems to me that it might be cheaper to but new window locks with matching keys.

One tip that I found out is that you can use a standard flathead screwdriver to loosen the lock tab enough to pull the window out. And you can actually pull the locks out, which is easier than leaving teh car at the locksmith, or carrying the awkward, fragile rear window around.

-Dean.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify:a locksmith can remove the window w/o a key this would
allow you to leave the window with the dealer without having to
even take the car back to the dealer. The cost of the locksmith
should be worth the piece of mind that your car can stay at home.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RC,
you only "need" one but seeing that you bought it new it should
have 2.
If you went to sell me the car you should hand me 2 remotes 2 ignition keys and 2 rear window keys.

and if you said sorry only 1 rear window key not a huge deal but
not the way it should be.
basically it is 2 complete sets just incase your spouse needed a set.

I would call and get 2
but that is just my 2 cents
supergrin.gif

JIM

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just take the rear window out and bring it to a lock smith. Very easy. Unsnap three snaps, remove the inside slotted screws on both sides, and the slide will fall out and push the window inside the car and remove it. Very simple, but you will probably find you will need a new rubber gasket.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh...... 11 years later, I think he probably resolved the key issue. I'm guessing the car has changed hands a few times since this was posted.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar problem in that both my keys won't operate the locks (corrosion?). Can new locks be sourced anywhere, or at least take the guts out of the existing ones and not have locks at all?

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 98. The dealer ordered the blank, and i went to a reputable blacksmith and he was able to cut the key the same day. I just brought it the cyclinder locks, not the window. I now have two keys

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very easy to remove the cyclinders from the window. Remove the slotted screw, slip out the black bar, and use a 15/16 open socket and remove the screw and the lock will fall out. This is what i did. I just brought both locks to the locksmith and had the key the same day. Make a dupliciate copy of the key, too.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very easy to remove the cyclinders from the window. Remove the slotted screw, slip out the black bar, and use a 15/16 open socket and remove the screw and the lock will fall out. This is what i did. I just brought both locks to the locksmith and had the key the same day. Make a dupliciate copy of the key, too.
Thanks for the info.

Viperdrvr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just take the rear window out and bring it to a lock smith. Very easy. Unsnap three snaps, remove the inside slotted screws on both sides, and the slide will fall out and push the window inside the car and remove it. Very simple, but you will probably find you will need a new rubber gasket.

Where can you get a new rubber gasket?