Noisy OEM brakes..

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the rotors turned down and the pads replaced, but I'm still getting a high pitch screeching sound when braking. Any suggestions besides replacing stuff?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whats next? Complaining about side sills burning your leg or the rough ride? hehe, kidding.

I don't recall my brakes being squeeky. What pads were used? Sounds like they didnt grease em up properly.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have they seated yet? usually oem pads might squeal if they are glazed over. Try cleaning them by getting on them hard a few times, at higher speeds. After you have seated them of course.

I have a set of EBC greens for the rears in the classifieds. $50

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you read the owner's manual, they mention that the brakes tend to squeal for the first 15-20 minutes of light braking. As Andrew mentioned, try stopping really hard with them a couple times...just make sure you don't bald-spot your tires though.

My brakes (97 GTS) the same thing when still cold...after about 20-30 stops they no longer squeal.

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if just replacing the front pads would do the trick? Or do the rear ones squeal as well? King of embarassing driving through a small, quite town, and roll up to a stop light, squealling all the way!!

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wonder if just replacing the front pads would do the trick? Or do the rear ones squeal as well? King of embarassing driving through a small, quite town, and roll up to a stop light, squealling all the way!!

Yeah, tell me about it...almost seems like you can purchase a nice spanking sports car, but too cheap to buy new brakes. :D Just stop real hard a couple times near your home. It should take care of the squeal.

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not too cheap to buy brakes, trust me. I just would like to keep everything stock for a little while longer. I'm not big into mods.

Reaction score
This is an old topic.

High performance brakes have a tendency to be a little noisy when cold and under light braking. FYI our Mercedes does the same thing.

Less noise when cold = less braking when hot.

It is like being concerned about the exhaust note from tube Headers and Cat Back system. It is the sound of performance.

But in the case of brakes many do not connect performance to a little cold brake song.

Warming the brakse up should help the problem.

I am not a fan of turning rotors. The thinner they get the more they warp. Look a rotors from a car that has expereinced good braking and you will notice cracks in the rotors surface. They do need replaced from time to time.

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My GTS has 2,500 pampered miles on it, and the brakes sound like metal on metal sometimes. I figure they've just glazed over, so I'll have to try a few hard stops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21